Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft ADSL modems around the corner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

No doubt the isp's will be sending these software driven modems insted of the proper hardware ones as soon as they can :rolleyes:.

I suppose it had to happen as some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

glad I have my own router then.
    Makes me think of the ****ty software driven 56k modem I had. piece of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

pardon my ignorance, but how do these things work?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh bloody hell, anything but a software DSL modem!
    imho Smartlink modems are total and utter ****e! and I'd hate to deal with Smarrlink based DSL modems :mad:
    griffdaddy wrote:
    pardon my ignorance, but how do these things work?

Basically the CPU/Memory PC in general does all the work instead of the actual modem
    The same currently goes for soft56K dialup modems

Generally speaking there crap compared to hardware modems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah. At least smark link in their defence supply Linux drivers but it's still not an ideal situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I thought we already had software DSL modems. The one I have is so crap I always presumed it was a software modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Ugh I had a terrible time with my old 56K "Winmodem". I was d/c whenever I did anything the slightest bit CPU heavy when I was online.

Advertisement