Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if I cant get dsl

• 06-09-2004 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

The mates exchange is dsl enabled but he cannot get dsl,like thousands of others I hear you say. He is more or less living beside me and we have it in the house do I dont think its a distance issue. He was on to the biddy and got the standard jive from her. So I was wondering if getting your line checked properly has come any futher since the days of eircoms standard procedure of no means no. Another words is there an offical list of steps you can take(ie: can make them get an engineer check it again). Also is it just a myth that if you can get a isdn line(digital)into your house you can get dsl on that line, or can you make them tell you if you have a splitter on your line(dax)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If hes more or less beside you, upgrade your broadband package, get him to pay half, and install wireless in both houses. Now he's connected through your broadband, and you've got a faster connection. Everyone's happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well I can tell you from personal experience that ISDN guarantees nothing. We moved into a new house a few months back and it had ISDN on the line. We ran the line test on the line and it failed. We downgraded the line from ISDN and it still fails.

So yes its a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭niallb

I've got ISDN going back to an exchange that isn't enabled, so I don't
    think chasing them for a line test is getting me anywhere!

ISDN is however incompatible with splitters, so at least you know
    you've an unencumbered line.

ISDN has a longer reach than currently available DSL technologies,
    so you will find ISDN capability in places "too far from the exchange" for DSL.

Pity you downgraded the line though, even 1 channel of ISDN can be twice as fast
    as analogue dialup (sustained download speeds - 7.3k - always ). :-)

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

With the added bonus that you pay twice the line rental and double the phone cost if you use both channels at the same time. Its bad enough having to pay Eircon one line rental :mad:

I'll probably have to hold out till NTL gets around to my area I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Ok lads thanks for the replys, still its a shame there is no standard procedure (paid or unpaid) that you can take if you feel your not getting total satisfaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Yea its **** the way they dont even give you the choice to pay technician to change your house from pairgained to the full line that you are paying for, :mad: would like to destroy the pairgain box that my house is connected to. Me thinks: thats not a bad idea
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arcticcandy

If they say you can't get DSL and your neighbour has it, then it's cos of 1 of 2 reasons.

1. You have carrier on your line. This means that your phone line basically carries admin data for all the other phone lines in your neighbourhood on the part of your phone line that would usually be used for DSL. If this is the case not much you can do about it, unless you're very very good friends with an eircom engineer..

2. They tested your line and it fails but it doesn't have carrier on it. Now the online test qualification thingy they do on your line, is a recorded set of tests done about once a month I think. So say if you had a fault logged on your line with 1901 or sommat cos it was noisy, then the Eircom test thingy, goes, hmm, crap line, and fails it.
    If however you get that fault status taken off the line, the next time they do the test, it'll pass and you'll be able to get dsl.
    If you have never logged a fault on your line and are totally desperate for DSL, try this crafty approach. Ring up 1901, mutter something about having lots of noise on the line. 1901 open fault. Ring next day and say, oh look it's all ok now, you can close the fault. Don't get an eircom tech out as he'll charge you money.
    Then over the next month or two, keep checking your line on their webpage for dsl. Hopefully then you pass and go get dsl with some nice provider.
    This has worked for 2 ppl i know of that were told they couldn't get DSL but had neighbours on either side with it.. Hope it helps someone!

Advertisement