Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coat of Arms

Options
  • 06-09-2004 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody else feel that the new three castles emblem being used by Dublin Corporation is in-appropriate?
    The three castles that have been in use for as long as I can remember are a heraldic device, a coat of arms, and as such are not equivalent to a company logo which can change with fashions. The original device is part of the heritage, the fabric of Dublin. Tradition is not meant to be altered to "sex up" an image of our city.
    What genius wasted our money paying some advertising agency to bastárdise a perfectly good coat of arms on a whim? How much money that could have been spent on useful projects has been squandered on change simply for the sake of change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Dublin Corporation is hardly a representative of the heritage of Dublin City - the official city coat of arms still exists in officialdom; but the Corporation _is_ a company, and it's logo reflects the city that it's located in. Now I haven't seen the new logo, so can't really comment that much, but the 3-castles look is hardly sacrosanct. Im sure plenty of Parisian companies use the Eiffel Tower to style their logos :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dublin Corporation should be concerned with the heritage of Dublin City.
    If they are not they are in the wrong job.

For comparison see attached pictures, one is from the Mansion House, the seat of the Lord Mayor.
    Maybe the Corpo will send a man up to chisel off the coat of arms and replace it with the pice of junk they are foisting on us. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Official Coat of Arms

there's an important consideration you're forgetting here: costs and printing. most printing companies charge more the more colours you use, and in some cases, will limit the number of colours you can print.
    There's no point breaking the budget making sure all your vans and headed paper are more in keeping with the historical crest, which in itself originates from a different era altogether, which as it is, IS just 3 castles - the rest is just frippary; the motto is important yes, but the prime component of any coat of arms is the pictorial representation of your family or place - which in dublin's case, is just 3 castles. That's the main course - the rest is just a side salad for presentation.
    A change for the new doesn't always imply a snubbing of the old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

what about the motto of the dublin

Obedientia Civium Urbis Felicitas... "happy is the obedient citzen"

how about we change that?

its an ok logo, its funny as style progress thing become more and more simplified/logofied in a few years time it'll just be three blue squares?

i dont see what your problem was im sure i read before that there a even more detailed version that shows head on stick outside the gates and they got of the fire on top of castles which was a sign of war?

• Advertisement

Logos have been simpler down through the years than you think - most crests of wars/families would have been very simple - dragons, griffins etc; I think it was just the rising English middle class that wanted to "show off" their wealth with flamboyant family crests.

Well Im not a native of Dublin so I've no idea about any other crests; it's quite possible that from occupation times the crest was more ... regal and imperial, I wouldn't be surprised if it was: in which case, the change has already taken place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 azsxdc

Dublin City Council adopted the new "sexed up" castles emblem in 2002, after the Local Government Act of that year annuled all city corporations in Ireland. There is no longer a "Dublin City Corporation". So what better time to introduce a new emblem seeming as they had to change all their logos anyway? When compared to other Counties and cities in Ireland, the old castles emblem wasn't particularly exciting anyway. The City Council put their new crest on bins, lamp-posts and flags all over the city, and avoid using "council" anytime its on something more "of the city" than of themselves. Its distinctive, modern, and much easier to reproduce. End of story!

Also *regeneration*, Dublin City Council is most definitely a Local Authority as opposed to a company

Advertisement