Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do I find a solicitor???

• 06-09-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just recently put deposit on a house in Navan (cheapest) and now have to find a solicitor by Thursday.

I have never been in contact with a solicitor.

My parents are dealing with a solicitor here in Tallaght but he is a Walter Mitty character losing and misplacing documents.

I checked accomodation board but it is all about renting(mostly).

Where do I check to find cheapest solicitor for purchase of house??

Cheers,

A confused first time buyer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Most solicitors charge the same, ie price based on percentage of house your buying. Most ususally charge 1%

If you need one in a hurry, the best thing to do is look in the phone book for one in the area required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Search.asp

do you know anyone who bought a house? - ask them at lease they can recommend one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The problem with finding the "cheapest" solicitor is that you'll end up with a
    "Walter Mitty character losing and misplacing documents"

It's quite difficult to find a very good solicitor who is on the ball but I found these people to be quiet professional.
    Gerard Maguire 01 6704271

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

There is a lad called Sean Grennan in Naas, charges aprox €650 (possibly less) per conveyance - i.e. regardless of house value. I found him good, no problems with lost documentation, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

It's quite difficult to find a very good solicitor who is on the ball but I found these people to be quiet professional.

1st The above statement is a crock

2nd 1% is a crazy charge, I shopped around for solicitors recently regarding a house, you must understand that it is all standard form paperwork that they do and should not amount to more then 650 + VAT, some of those cocksuckers were charging 1500+, some would not condecend to give a price over the phone.

1% pfff.

PM me if you want the short list,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Who's Walter Mitty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Danook

Blisterman wrote:
    Who's Walter Mitty?

He's a very bad solicitor from Baldoyle who always loses documents and takes ages to do stuff. There was an article about him in the Northside People in June. Don't you keep up to date with this stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

There are now a number of firms offering a flat rate fee. Usually clocking in at under 1000, so usually a hell of a lot cheaper than the 1% most firms charge. I guess just shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Steen and O'Reilly are reputable in the Navan area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Danook wrote:
    He's a very bad solicitor from Baldoyle who always loses documents and takes ages to do stuff. There was an article about him in the Northside People in June. Don't you keep up to date with this stuff?

Is that true? Coz i always thought that walter mitty was a character from a book who liked to daydream of doing mad, exciting, things instead of his dull existence.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

pekelly wrote:
    Is that true? Coz i always thought that walter mitty was a character from a book who liked to daydream of doing mad, exciting, things instead of his dull existence.....

He is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

every country should have websites like these people. handy i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If all else fails, just get yourself into a moving ambulance, look out the back and there will be one running after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Blisterman wrote:
    Who's Walter Mitty?
    Mild-mannered guy from a short story by James Thurber (it was once on the Inter Cert English course). Mitty's got a boring job, boring life, annoying overprotective wife (at least that's how she seemed to me as a teenager, in the movie she was his mother) and a fantasy life where he imagines himself as a surgeon, a fighter pilot, a secret agent, that kind of thing but in reality can't find his socks. The movie tried to add a plot where his fantasy kind of came true (shades of North By Northwest, or The Man Who Knew Too Little/Much at least in application). The movie's apparently being remade soon with Jim Carrey in the title role so if it gets made we'll all hear the phrase "walter mitty" until we're sick of it. That is unless we were sick of it after hearing David Kelly described as a Walter Mitty character last year when Blair's dodgy dossier came up for examination.

The short story's still under copyright (Thurber died in the 60s) but it's worth a look here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

impr0v wrote:
    If all else fails, just get yourself into a moving ambulance, look out the back and there will be one running after it.
    /files away for future use:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

www.askaboutmoney.com check the forums there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Batbat wrote:

1st The above statement is a crock

2nd 1% is a crazy charge, I shopped around for solicitors recently regarding a house, you must understand that it is all standard form paperwork that they do and should not amount to more then 650 + VAT, some of those cocksuckers were charging 1500+, some would not condecend to give a price over the phone.

1% pfff.

PM me if you want the short list,

yeah well, tell it to my mate who bought a house in east wall using a cheapo solicitor. He delayed the purchase by 3 weeks and cost him a fortune in interest.
    If you put crap in, you'll get crap out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Hi all,

I have bought about 14 properties and sold nearly as many. I have engaged solicitors on all occasions - so I have a bit of experience.

Essentially I would disagree with the principle of "you get what you pay for". There is a large element of rip-off in the business.

To keep things in perspective the solicitor actually does very little in conveyancing. - much less than you realise - perhaps 3 or 4 hours in total.

I note that a previous entry spoke of engaging a cheap solicitor and getting a poor service. This may well be true but paying extra will not necessarily get better service. WHat people don't realise is that most house deals get delayed and messy. So don't be suprised when yours does.

One final word, keep in touch with all parties at least once or twice per week. Never (ever) assume that things are happening behind the scenes. Typically your solicitor will open your file for 10 minutes once a week and see if anything needs to be done.

Generally, conveyancing is a frustrating business. Be aware also that estate agents often know very little and will generally be ridiculously optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Thanks a lot for help,

My friend gave me the number of a solicitor he used, might try his no, or Steen and O'Reilly in Navan,

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tonebex

2nd 1% is a crazy charge, I shopped around for solicitors recently regarding a house, you must understand that it is all standard form paperwork that they do and should not amount to more then 650 + VAT, some of those cocksuckers were charging 1500+,

If it is all standard form paperwork then why did you not do it yourself? Your ignorance of what is involved in conveyancing is quite breathtaking but it at least is matched by your insulting and gratuitously offensive terminology. Solicitors professional indemnity insurance rates are extremely high and the biggest source of claims involve things that went wrong in a conveyancing transaction. If you take the price of houses in the Dublin area then the value of a claim would have many noughts after it. The cost of doing the work has to reflect in some way the value of the risk that is being undertaken as well as the amount of work done. The solicitor has to guarantee good title to a property and that is not always as easy at it might seem to you. People also want a fixed price for this service and the difficulties in respect of title don't usually appear until some way into the process. The fee therefore has to take into account that some transactions will be more complicated and time consuming than others.

What I don't really understand is why solicitors get pilloried for say charging 1% when people uncomplainingly pay far more than that to the auctioneer who doesn't have a quarter of the same work to do or anything like the same responsibility or liability. If you don't like the quote, get another one as there does appear to be a difference in what various firms charge. This is as it should be and what we all do when making any significant purchase.

Just for the record, I am a solicitor but do not deal with conveyancing transactions. I do know many solicitors who do conveyancing and I am used to hearing about their stress and the horror stories about some of their conveyancing cases. I also know that many of them offer reduced rates for conveyancing as a loss leader in the hope of then attracting clients who will ultimately instruct them in other more profitable types of legal work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tonebex wrote:
    If it is all standard form paperwork then why did you not do it yourself? Your ignorance of what is involved in conveyancing is quite breathtaking but it at least is matched by your insulting and gratuitously offensive terminology. Just for the record, I am a solicitor but do not deal with conveyancing transactions.
    I am not a lawyer, but don't you need to be solicitor to do conveyencing? Hence you are heckling a posting for not doing what he isn't entitled to do?

I am not 100% certain whether someone can't do their own conveyancing in Ireland but can see no reason why they shouldn't be able to do so especially when so many people seem to think it is so easy and straightforward. I previously practised in England and you are certainly allowed to DIY there (the process is almost identical to that existing in Ireland) and in other countries also. The Consumers Association in the UK publish a very good book - "Which?" Guide to Doing Your Own Conveyancing ("Which?" Consumer Guides) by Paul Butt. It is available from Amazon.co.uk at £8.99. I will investigate the position in Ireland further and post my findings here.

On a separate point, I take some exception to you criticising me for "heckling" a poster when I did not note any criticism from you addressed to that same poster for offensively labelling us solicitors as "cocksuckers"!!

tonebex wrote:
    On a separate point, I take some exception to you criticising me for "heckling" a poster when I did not note any criticism from you addressed to that same poster for offensively labelling us solicitors as "cocksuckers"!!
    Well, I must have obviously missed that part and now say to that poster "Good on ya, boyo."

What a crass response from someone who passes himself off as a "Moderator"!! Your attitude does a great disservice to Boards.ie and encourages offensive and abusive postings that can only serve to stifle debate and discussion. Shame on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Pistols, 20 paces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I found Maxwell Mooney & Co. in Maynooth to be brilliant. Can't remember the number, but he was in the Golden Pages. Very honest, decent and up front. No bull****, not like with other clowns I have dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Lawyers: The people who get paid to do the things we'd rather people think we wouldn't do.

"Yeah, sorry about ripping you off there but the lawyers, you know, forced me to do it."

tonebex wrote:
    What a crass response from someone who passes himself off as a "Moderator"!! Your attitude does a great disservice to Boards.ie and encourages offensive and abusive postings that can only serve to stifle debate and discussion. Shame on you!
    I would have thought you would have had a thicker skin, what being a snake and all that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

Or you could contact the Law Centre (Legal Aid Board) - there is one in Navan and a number in Dublin for starters. If they cannot help you they could probably recommend somebody who could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement