Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free texting question

Options
  • 06-09-2004 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'ma verty frequent texter, but I'm on Voda RTG andwe all know how expensice it is to text! So, does anyone know a site on the web for free international and free shourt code(57777etc.)texts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

You can send them from vodafones site, but not to shortcodes. You can also use icq to send sms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

icq? not in ireland ye cant!

It used to be possible to send SMS messages in ICQ in Ireland but now the service has been restricted to only a handful of countries, even the US doesn't have it last time I checked, but Canada does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You can't send free texts to short codes from a web application. With the exception of numbers, short codes are used for premium or value added services. Even if you could, many premium text services are MT billed. When you send a message to the shortcode you are charged standard rate. This initial message triggers an automated response e.g. "thank you for entering". You are charged to receive the message or series of messages. So even by sending a message from the web you would still receive messages to your phone that are charged. BTW all the operators now run credit checks before a premium message is sent. No credit, no message.

Advertisement