Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescopes

Options
  • 06-09-2004 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been reading bits and pieces about cosmology and astronomy over the past year. I have been perplexed and shocked, yet amazed. Right now I am so interested that I wish to devote more of my time to studying the two areas.

So, if anyone has any information on where to buy telescopes in Ireland please tell me. I decided not to even try using a web-crawler because I figured I'd only get American web-sites. I'd be looking for a really high-powered one.

Kevster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

try www.andromedaoptics.com. They are based in Dublin, and are far better value than Astronomy & Space of Astronmy Ireland, also in Dublin, ever will be.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If you are only starting out, the first thing to do is to get yourself a good pair of binoculars and a book on the constellations. Go outside and look around for a while. Even with binoculars you can see an awful lot. When you get used to what can be seen and know your way around the sky, then get your telescope. In the meantime, start saving for it.

Last night was a beautiful clear night over Dublin. After surfing here until nearly 2am I was looking out my bedroom window until 4am, with the naked eye and binoculars, but not my telescope. There was a lot to see. I watched Orion - the finest constellation of them all - rise up in the east. I woke up about 6 and had another quick look to see Orion and I could then also see the brightest star in the night sky, Sirius! All that with the naked eye.

A few months from now Orion and much more will be in full view early in the night. I spent a long time looking at the night sky before buying a pair of binoculars and some time after that before buying a telescope. So get your binoculars and start using them and leave the telescope for now.

Advertisement