Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Cockup on the Right hook Did anyone else hear?

• 06-09-2004 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else hear the three way interview between presenter George Hook Eamon Dunphy and Johnny Giles just befor Seven this evening.

All was going well talking about Irelands chances etc when suddendly there was silence and George dissappeared. After a few seconds Dunphy says John are you there and Giles responds. Then Dunphy says to Giles the ISDN lines must be down and the goes on to have a discussion with Giles obviously believeing that they are off air. Giles wasn't commiting himself and was carefull about what he said.

From recollection the Converation goes like this

Dunphy: I am amazed at Keane

Giles: Amazed Why is that?

Dunphy : I am amazed he made himself available for wednesday. He is over committed to the cause . Thats what the whole Saipan incident was about do you know that?

Giles then said something that I cant recollect

Dunphy says Keane wants to have one last fling In Germany even though he may not be playing at the highest level at that stage ,

Giles asks Dunphy why he thinks that.

Dunphy goes on to say that Keanes body is breaking down. At this stage the plug is pulled and they break to an advert . After the break Hook is back and they make no mention of the cockup

It was really interesting and lasted what seemed like a couple of minutes. I was driving at the time but thats my recollection of the conversation.

I know its a long shot but does anyone have a recording.
    How about you Newstalk any chance of getting a copy off your log tapes ? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Wow, thats an interesting one. It should make the papers. Be interesting to see a transcript.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well, that is another 2 years away, what age will he be then ? If he plays for less games he might just make it. I defintley reckon we will qualify. It would be nice to hear the interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's looked to be dead on his legs in each game I've seen him this season. Unless things change dramatically, this will be his last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I heard it too - couldnt believe it! Probably something to do with George being down in Cork.

Just a slight correction on Muppet's transcript:

When Dunphy said he was amazed at Keane's decision to make himself available, Giles responded by saying something like:

Yeah, its amazing alright. And it should work out very well for him. After this nobody will be able to question his committment to the team and it will put the whole Saipan epsiode to bed.

Then Dunphy said "but the whole Sapian thing was about him being over committed"

I have to say the first thing that went through my mind as soon as I realised it was just the two of them, was this is going to be a typical Dunphy scenario. He'll call Hook a fookin fat ballix and he'll be sacked after just 1 day :D:D

But they were both very civil and just carried on a normal conversation about football, and didnt use any swearwords!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi Rooster

Do you recollect Dunphy making any comment about Keans Ribs. I didn,t but my passenger at the time thought he did.

I had the very same thoughs as yourself when i realises dunphy thought he was off air and while he didn't use language he certainly said things that were not for public consumption. I got the impression that Giles was being cagey and very professional and assumed he was still live on air.

Newstalk are sitting on a great story but they are unlikely to want to ruffle ddunphys feathers considering he has just started anew contract with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Do you recollect Dunphy making any comment about Keans Ribs

No, but I missed about 20 seconds of it as Roosterette was shouting at me to help her out with sometihng or other :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No, but I missed about 20 seconds of it as Roosterette was shouting at me to help her out with sometihng or other :rolleyes:

Man I know the story all too well. It was the female of the muppet species that said Dunphy said something about keanes ribs but I have no recollection of that so I,m not posting what she though he said. Now if it were Keano's Legs I would believe her becuase she has a thing about them and would be unlikey to be making mistakes in that department.

I would love to see a transcript of the conversation too. There was a user here at one stage called Newstalk who obviously has connection to the station but I have not seen him/her here in a while.

Advertisement