Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chechnya

Options
  • 06-09-2004 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

I have heard LOADS of people telling me how terrible the Siege was.
    Yet, I wonder, how many of them actually donated money to the victims?
    How many of them went over there and laid a hand in the hospitals?
    Hmmm?

Then, I ask "why?"
    The answer I most frequently get is that it is an abomination to kill children.
    They are right but...
    How many of these buy clothes from Nike and other companies who use child labour?
    Or eat at McDonalds whos restaurants "mysteriously" move when employees attempt to join a Union?
    Or drink CocaCola products after the Columbia incident?

What I'm getting at is that these people including me until I copped on
    (or copped out as some would tell me)
    are a bit hypocriticall.

But it's not surprising as these Corporations don't go around saying that they're going to execute hostages if you don't give them money.

They are all evil excuses for humans but at least the Checnyan Terrorists have a good reason,
    (Ok, not good enough, but better than the Corporation's)
    They want independance, isn't that what we wanted not a hundred years ago?
    All these companies want is to make money cheaply.
    How much of the €50 you pay on a Nike jumper go to the people who make it?
    And how much go to the Managers who run the company?

Aren't these companies making peoples live smisery aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

All these companies want is to make money cheaply.

well of course thats the point when u have a business, to make a profit, the bigger the profit so much the better,and i think on a corporate level they could give a crap about the lowest end employees because their easily replaceable.
    How many of these buy clothes from Nike and other companies who use child labour?

I guess outta sight outta mind,these facts never get much new coverage mostly we are bombarded with Iraq/Bush on the news , though given these stories about nike/mc donalds would make people more aware.

I guess when ordering my chicken nuggets and coke i dont think of the staff or columbians ,besides i prefer burger king ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

magick wrote:
    well of course thats the point when u have a business, to make a profit, the bigger the profit so much the better,and i think on a corporate level they could give a crap about the lowest end employees because their easily replaceable.

I guess outta sight outta mind,these facts never get much new coverage mostly we are bombarded with Iraq/Bush on the news , though given these stories about nike/mc donalds would make people more aware.

I guess when ordering my chicken nuggets and coke i dont think of the staff or columbians ,besides i prefer burger king ;)
    Hmm, and who sponsers and adverrises on these TV channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

which ones? take your pick , though its mainly the fault of the TV channels then if they decide to take the cash from those companies,coke or mc donalds arent putting a gun to the TV executives heads to advertise on those channels,hence when they see a big wad of cash their going to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

:( Do you even have the faintest idea of what it was about? Believe me, it had nothing to do with McDonalds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Panzer81

While an interesting point, and one we've heard before, the chechnya thing is still a bit raw man.
    Not really a platform from which to shout "hypocrit".

Obviously it is a valid point and I wouldn't disagree with you, but it might strike some as a shock-value rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

omnicorp; you are getting immorality (Islamic terrorists) confused with ammorality (corporations). They can both look similiar from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Omnicorp banned from Politics for a week for ignoring the fact we have two threads about Chechnya, posting a rant thats mainly about things other than Chechnya and hench ignoring my previous warnings about RUBBISH THREADS!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement