Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodstock - The Aftermath

Options
  • 06-09-2004 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭

Just back from bloodstock, and am wondering what everyone thought of it this year.

The first day went very well for me, I missed the first band (infobia?), but got to see all of the second band, Illuminatus, and they really were superb all together, their music reminded me of the Dark Tranquility 'Haven' album but without the growl in the singer, superb band. Then it was Sinergy, another great show I thought, (and Ronan found out that Kimberly Goss is indeed female :rolleyes:). Threshold came out next, they instantly reminded me of Dream Theatre pretty much, very similar style, they only played about 4 songs, but their set was about 45 minutes long. Gamma Ray were on next, first tiem I ever heard them before at all really, and oh my god, what a show they played, absolutely flawless, going to have to get myself some of their music sometime soon it really was excellent.

The second day had some more superb bands, while I wasnt impressed with Edenbridge much (who were rather hyped), they reminded me of a poor Nightwish, they were OK and thats about it, not a touch on most of the other bands on the main hall. Evergrey were another absolutely excellent band, I advise everyoen to go and get some of their music, it really was superb (got my bloodstock ticket signed by them afterwards too). I missed Primal Fear as I was queing up to get my program signed by Bodom but from what I hear they also put up a blinding performance. Then i twas Sonata Arctica's turn, and things just were goign well for these guys, the first few songs they had insane technical problems, and the Guitar was virtually silent for their opening song 'San Sebastian', which was a real shame, the levels were awful for the first 3 songs, and was completely out of Sonata Arctica's control, but alas, for the fourth song they played 'Black Sheep', and done an excellent job with it too, they also played a superb 'Broken', however because of all the delays from the sound problems, they only got to play a short set, only 9 or 10 songs, so the day didnt go for Sonata Arctica very well at all, but what they played after the sound was fixed was superb. Last up were Bodom, and oh my god, they just blew everyone else out of the water, no one came close to their performance, I was lucky enough to start close enough to the front (about 10 people back, pushed my way up to 3 from the front after 30 seconds of them starting though :)), their set was excellent, and included songs like 'Hate Me', Warheart, Bodom After Midnight, Needled 24/7, Lake Bodom, Angels Dont Kill, and a good few other songs too, their set was probably near 2hours in total, and the crowd was going mad the whole time, they were worth the ticket alone.

Top 3 performances of the weekend (in order) would definately be: Evergrey, Gammaray, Bodom. Anyway, opinions of the event?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

holy **** that was the best gig i ever was at!!! (even tho the sound was ****)

i was really going over for just Primal Fear and Children Of Bodom.

was very dissapointed by Gamma Ray, thought they were terrible. caught Sinergy who altho had a very poor sound were still incredible. i went looking for their cd's but they were all sold out. Threshold werent too impressive either. after the first night we followed a bunch of lads to this metal bar, that was a converted church( cant remember what it was called, its on the metaltravelguide.com anyway)

on saturday we stayed in the hotel till about 4.30, drinkin cans and listenin to cds. headed in and missed gettin my primal fear t-shirt >:(

caught the end of balance of power who were great,then got pretty close to the front for Primal Fear.

they had a **** sound, were a bit lazy, didnt play ANYTHING from the Black Sun album, but they still kicked ass! opening with Angel in Black and Chainbreaker straight after!! jaysus! (funniest moments here... Ralf acting the eejit, the drummer dropping a stick during The Healer, the scowl Ralf gave him lol!!)

the set-list was(i think):
    Angel In Black
    Chainbreaker
    Suicide and Mania
    Heart Of A Brave
    Running In The Dust (another song that could have been axed)
    Nuclear Fire
    The Healer (*yawn* lose that for "Black Sun" and "Fear")
    Battalions Of Hate (best track they played, crowd were loving it)
    Metal Is Forever
    Final Embrace

my mates had no time for Sonata Arctica but i went in anyway. missed San Sebastian, was loving all the fast stuff from winterhearts guild, the new single Dont Say a Word, and Blank Page......... but NO WOLF AND RAVEN!! WHAT!!!!??!

and as for Bodom..... OMG.
    got right up the front for this one. what was the opener? Hate Me!? wasnt a great opener but i was loving the whole set... you'l have to correct me cause i know im wrong but the set-list was something like.....

Hate Me!
    Silent Night, Bodom Night
    Better Off Dead
    Bodom After Midnight
    Warheart
    Follow The Reaper
    Chokehold
    Towards Dead End (fav track, cant believe they played it!)
    Bodom Beach Terror
    Hate Crew Deathroll
    Children Of Bodom
    Sixpounder
    Needled 24/7

OMG the duel before bodom beach terror... Alexi is my new hero.

i got close enough to get some great pics of Bodom on my phone, but if you guys look pics post 'em up!

there were no buses to the airport on sunday!! we didnt have enough money for a taxi so we had to get a bus to nottingham, walk for about half an hour and get another to the airport... took us about 4 hours. then 4 hours waiting in the airport :/

ohh the penine hotel is a dive just like that review said... not very metal at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That solo duel during Bodom was beyond phenominal, and the drum solo was also amazing. Definetly the band of festival bar none.

I'm just so sorry Sonata Arctica had such sound problems, I was looking farward to them moreso than CoB tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What a weekend! Found Gamma Ray great enjoyed every moment and was delighted to have seen them live after many years. Saturday was a great day as well with getting to see the FANTASTIC Evergrey, got to meet them at the signing as well good bunch of guys they are indeed and had very fit merchandise sellers :) Primal Fear were damn fantastic I left before the end of their set to for the Sonata signing and got my picture taken with Tony Kakko the lead singer. Sonata despite the sound problems were damn worth the wait and delighted to have seen them live. COB were great damn fine set they played.

Was great as well met up with some people I knew from last year. Assembly rooms proving once again that small venues can be the best.

@ Nesthead I got a Primal Fear tshirt its xl but is about as xl as my big toe! If I cant stretch it to fit and yer smaller than I, I will sell it to ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I thought the whole weekend was brilliant..
    Friday only really remember Sinergy & Gamma Ray - both were brilliant as usual - although Sinergy's sound wasn't great..
    Saturday went for food first so only arrived at the end of Humanity's set - but have to say they were really good. Edenbridge were average - didnt do much for me. Nowhere near the Garden weren't bad - got better near the end. Evergrey, Primal Fear & Sonata Artica were all amazing - really put on a great show..
    Did anyone watch Cruachan?? I saw as much as could seeing as they were squeezed between Primal Fear & Sonata Artica. They were really good - last time I saw them I wasn't that into them, but this time they have improved immensely. The whole crowd got really into them & loads of people afterwards were saying they were amazing.
    Last of all Children of Bodom. As everyone before said, they were excellent.. A really good end to the show.
    Would definitely go again, but would book accommodation sooner - hotel was great, but taxis really eat in the £££'s..
    Nesthead - got a bus to the airport fine - they were every 2 hours.. £2.10 from the train station!!!! Glad I booked Ryanair as there were big delays on BMI!

from the bus station!!? damn!! must have been a different company.... damn capatalism!!!:p

cant believe i didnt see any of you there.... i would have recognised Ronan and Ken cause I met you at the beers last year but I guess I was just too drunk the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

No, I got the bus from the trainstation - think it came from the bus station though. Sure you'll know for the next time!

yeah i meant train station... doh.

oh yeah did anyone see that singer, Claire, from the band Invey?? Cristina Scabbia watch out!!

and when Henka from COB got hit in the head by a scythe lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can't believe I missed it now, fukin love Cruachan, *and they now have a trad player* uggh goin next year for sure, goin into bruxelles right now to recruit some metal friends to go with next year!

read this on their site
    BLOODSTOCK:
    Wow, what a great time we had at bloodstock, and here we were thinking we have no fans in England. Although we were on the second stage, we packed the place out, despite Sonata Arctica playing at the same time on the main stage. We met loads of cool people and I embarrassed myself by being quite the fan-boy when I met Martin Walkyier for the first time. We had a small chat about a possible collaboration....watch this space.
    Anyway, we played well, a few cock ups but hey, thats Cruachan. The organisers even said we were the best band there, unofficially of course, and they asked us back next year to play the main stage. Not bad for a band that turned up with their instruments and a few dodgy guitar cables compared to the likes of Primal Fear with 2 van loads of equipment.

Thanks Vince and all the Bloodstock crew, we had a ball!!!
    /Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Would of loved to have seen Cruachaun really, but alas was busy with both CoB signing, and Sonata Arctica. But good luck to them, I hear they played a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Im definatly going next year.Just sad I missed it this year tbh.Hopefully there will be some fun to be had next year.

• Advertisement

We'll just have to wait and see tbh, Daithai.

But yes, more than likely, there'll be fun to be had!

And there is Bloodstock Openair this time!

ye theres rumours of Blind Guardian(!!!) coming back, and Hammerfall (*yawn*).

Thou shalt not speak foul of the Hammerfall.

I'd love to actually stay awake for Blind Guardian for once, so that would be fantastic, Hammerfall I could do without, but if they're there, I wouldn't turn my nose up at seeing them.

RAR! Myself and mister Kakko. Of wolf and Raven

Nice one there Ronan...

I'll post up some pics of my ugly mug and Kimberly Goss if I can. ;)

Advertisement