Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Full Time But With an Income?

• 06-09-2004 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

I curently work at credit management/accounts but frankly my job bores me and to be perfectly honest id like to go back to college and study for a degree in politics,but and this is the catch i cannot afford to do without my wages,there is no way i could possibly live on a small student grant,i can just about survive on the wages im getting,my question is....does anyone know of a course where you can actually get like a weekly/monthly income whilst studying?Silly question it probably is,but if i knew of a course where i got similar wages to what im getting or even a bit below id certainly be interested?im not into going to college part time as i done that for 2 years in the DIT and it was all a bit much what with working during the day then going to college 2 evenings a week,and trying to maintain some sort of social life,i studied IT before but i dont know why now as ive no real interest i guess i did at the time..any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Any particular reason why you can't afford to take a drop in wages? I've packed my job in for similar reasons, but I saved first to allow me to get through a year at least without any serious cash needs. I'll be living like a student though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Unfortunately i have a lot of bills and there is no way i could possibly give up work,and saving is really out of the question as well...
    ecksor wrote:
    Any particular reason why you can't afford to take a drop in wages? I've packed my job in for similar reasons, but I saved first to allow me to get through a year at least without any serious cash needs. I'll be living like a student though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, if I suddenly start getting lots of money for part-time consultancy I'll let you know, but that's about the only way I could see myself doing it. I doubt if I'd have the time to do that though. Would a night degree be a suitable compromise? What subject do you want to study?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Normally you'd only get paid for a post graduate degree - I packed in work to do a phd and I get paid - but the first year was a bit tight - I'd saved though so I survived. Depending on the course and department you may be able to get some sort of studentship - you give tutorials and so on and get paid a bit for it. It's not going to be a large amount but it's worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Well, it is possible to earn essentially a full weeks wages while being a full time student. I've done it, just requires good time management and um, maybe 1 or 2 classes a week skipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Try an Arts degree where you can do Politics as an option.

I did my BA in UCD, three years it took but I never had more than 15 hours a week lectures/tutorials.

Managed to work a 32 hour week in my final year and get a 2.1.

Its do-able, just may not suit you staying in your current job. It doesn't suit office hours.

Oh, and you'll have no social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have to keep working myself, so I'm doing a partime distance learning course. If its on the list you can claim it back against tax.

Advertisement