Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP freezes during install

Options
  • 06-09-2004 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

System:
    1.2ghz athlon, 512mb ram, transcend motherboard
    40gb seagate hdd
    usb2 pci card w/ 4 or 5 ports
    56k modem
    geforce2mx 64mb gfx card (agp)

[History]
    For 3 years the guy has been using this system with windows XP upgraded from windows ME. Recenty he's been having stability problems and slowness and asked me to look at it. He really wanted to avoid formatting so first I reinstalled winXP (repair mode) and stopped all the startup items with msconfig. The system was then running grand but it was lacking alot of MS updates.
    I decided to install SP2 but this led to the system crashing on bootup with a BSOD and a main error (BAD_POOL_HEADER).

[Actual Problem]
    So at this stage the only option was to format. He had recently bought an external usb 160gb hdd so I hooked that up and booted the system with a knoppix cd,( ie. "fully" functioning linux system running from cd), copied over the files he wanted to keep, rebooted, quick formatted and went to install XP.
    However at 34mins remaining in the middle of the "Installing Devices" stage the system froze. I tried again with the external hdd unplugged but same thing happened. I then removed the partition and made a new one, did a full format & tried to install again ..but all to no avail.

Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It sounds like its having trouble installing a device then. Try removing all PCI cards, modems etc and see what happens then. Just leave the basic components in

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Ok I'll try that tomorrow, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Most likly it is a certanly a device whose drivers dont run the best with SP2. I have that probem with my webcam, whenever i stop using it I BSOD with the BAD_POOL_HEADER. Only happened since I installed SP2.

Your best bet is to try and figure out which specific device it is and try and get some updated drivers for it.

Yes but I'm now trying to install from scratch with an SP0 disk ..anyway I'll try pulling cards..pity I don't have the machine at home

all sorted now cheers guys! and the hardware worked after I had XP installed..strange but I'm not complaining!

• Advertisement
Advertisement