Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dun Laoghaire's Piers & wildlife - photos.

• 07-09-2004 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the seaside today. I headed to Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dun Leary), a seaside town a few miles south of Dublin. It has a large harbour enclosed by two piers. This is a view from near the beginning of the East Pier looking out towards its end. Through the haze, on the far side of Dublin Bay, you can see Howth:
    EastPier.jpg

I walked out along the pier and near the end looked back across the harbour towards Dun Laoghaire:
    DunLaoghaire.jpg
    Out near the end of the pier I spotted this seal, the first of a few I saw today, swimming:
    Seal1a.jpgSeal1b.jpg

Looking across Dublin Bay I could see the Bailey Lighthouse at the end of Howth:
    Bailey.jpg

Heading out along the West Pier later, I spotted this seal and got the following montage:
    Seal2a.jpg
    Seal2b.jpg

As I had been walking out the ferry had come in and was now leaving Dun Laoghaire for Holyhead in Wales:
    Ferry.jpg
    I was out near the end and the sea was breaking along the pier:
    BreakWaves.jpg
    As I came back in I spotted more wildlife:
    Sandpiper.jpgSandpiper2.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Thanks enjoyed that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

thanks for theis post i leave near here cool but why oh why does it look like the seal in the bottom left picture is giving u the finger
    Brock

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i've lived there for oh, 17 years, i've worked there, i met my firstgirlfriend there, it's a cool little town.....

you know what happened to the guy who designed the piers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well I know they go back to the 1820's, so apart from the obvious fact that he is dead, what happened to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/ has some good histrory about the harbour and town. The name of the designer of the Harbour was John Renny.
    I remember hearing years ago that he commited suicide by jumping off one of the piers I have no idea if that is true or not. Still it's know as one of the finest harbours in the world and well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

nice thread, in this miserable world we live in, i was expecting some environmental disaster pictures at the end or a seal choking on plastic, but it was just a feel good post :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if you look at a aerial view of Dun Laoghaire, you will notice that the harbour isnt alliend, when the designer relised thia, he Threw himself of the end of the west Peir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

that was a really nice way to start the day flukey. thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Nice post Flukey. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Lovely heartwarming thread for a change, cheers!

I also enjoyed the suicide posts so both parts of my psyche are pleased by this thread. Funny funny stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Those were pretty cool for an amateur photography jobbie Flukey!!

What sort of camera were you using? And it's really cool that you got those pics of that seal!

Thanks for the compliments. Those particulars ones came from individual frames off of a bit of video footage that I took with my camcorder, which is a Canon MV4i. It is small, so better decribed as a palmcorder:

20642171.JPG

I've also taken some photos with my digital camera which is an Olympus C-220z which you can see here:
    SwanUp.jpg
    OverDublin.jpg
    Jump1.jpg
    Jump2.jpg

Here are a couple of sites with photos I took, most with the Olympus and one or two with the Canon:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/DublinCity.htm
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/AstronomyPage.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Since we're in the picture mood, I might aswell post up some of my own collection:

Summit walk, Howth:
    1.jpg

Sugerloaf:
    2.jpg

Back of Sugerloaf:
    12.jpg

Mondello RallyCross:
    11.jpg

BIG fire, Dublin Docks:
    5.jpg

South Dublin from Howth Head:
    10.jpg

Winter Sun
    8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Nice shots flukey , I especially like the horse ones .

Thanks. They were taken at last year's Dublin Horse Show. I was surprised at how well they came out myself.

Hey Ando, did you have to light the fire just so you could take a photo of it? :)

We seem to be on a roll here, so here are a few more:

Sunset.jpg
    Sunset2.jpg

Some Croke Park action:
    Action1.jpg

A goal being scored - the ball is mid-air in line with the endline:
    Goal2.jpg

Special Olympics Closing Ceremony:
    Sowsgflame.jpg
    Sowsgclose.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

i am really liking this post makes a big diff from teh usual threads. the pics are class as for the history of dun laoghaire and the harbour there is a grat vieo bout 8 yrs old now called " Dun laoghaie a heritage of kings" it is well worth a look at.flukey another place to get great pics would be killiney hill great pics of dublin city in north and killiney bay in south.
    Brock

Thanks Brock. It is nice to put some different kind of threads up here. As you will see, I've done another one, from Howth! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

DSC01241.JPG
    Killiney Beach from the dart

DSC01238.JPG
    sand sculpture in Bray during EU day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

Since that worked some random scenic pics of Ireland
    DSCN0241.JPG

DSC00771.JPG

DSC00760.JPG

They are very nice boo4842.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

the first feelgood thread i have seen on AH in a long while, nice post and some very nice photos there

made my day a lil nicer all the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

A few of my own, nothing special:

pics_generate_thumb.php?w=640&h=480&pid=1012
    At the back of Dublin airport

pics_generate_thumb.php?w=640&h=480&pid=1290
    Stephens Green

pics_generate_thumb.php?w=640&h=480&pid=1291
    Stephens Green again

pics_generate_thumb.php?w=640&h=480&pid=1013
    Taken at the back of the airport

This one WASNT taken in Dublin, but i like it :)
    pics_generate_thumb.php?w=640&h=480&pid=1357

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Oooh nice pictures.. they look cool! ;)

Igy, nice photos. Put image tags around the links to the photos and we will be able to see them in the thread. Put IMG in square brackets before each address and /IMG in square brackets after each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Here is some pictures of wildlife from a different part of the world . I have some deer pictures , but they've been put away....I'd have to dig them out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Nice thread, Dublin isn't that bad after all? ;) I was told the exact same story about the guy who designed Howth pier(s) aswell.

Like any city, there are lots of nice things about Dublin, as well as the bad points. This has showed some of the more positive ones. It is nice to do that from time to time. The rain is on its way for the weekend, but at least we don't have to worry about hurricanes, which is something we have on Florida and the Caribbean! So it is not all bad!

Advertisement