Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb = netsource's brother = throttling users!!!

• 07-09-2004 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

oh man I'm so pissed!

I'm paying 107 euro pm

for 1meg connection

and I'm getting 20kb/s! 26 at best!

I just sent them a nice email, saying that the same thing that happened to netfarce will happen to them! if they don't un throttle their users and give them what they are paying for!

can you imagine 107 euro for 20kb/s! like I have nothing better to waste my money on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Is that just 20k from a torrent download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

torrent, emule, browser it doesn't matter!

you are just provided 20kb/s!

you can either, download, or browse, you will still be at 20kb/s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Their MD denied that they were doing this some time back. The accusation then was that they were throttling P2P but NOT Web or FTP for example. Thats not to say that they could not have changed their stated policy in the interim. Your problems sounds like "ye olde crappy eircommie line " so what are the diagnostic stats from your ADSL modem please ?

M

Are u on the DSL or wireless service?

Sometimes, if u are uploading alot, you can't download that much.
    So try closing all those other file-sharing programs and download a big file, oh i dunno like this: ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/OS/linux/gentoo/gentoo/releases/x86/2004.2/livecd/install-x86-minimal-2004.2.iso
    (just let it download for a minute!!).

Whats it say your top speed is on that, exactly?

Try it, don't just say 20k ;)

it's ADSL

and Muck, if it's "me olde crappy eircommie line " then why was I downloading at 104kb/s with any slowing the day I connected? and for next 2 days?

• Advertisement

I really doubt they're throtteling p2p. If they are, you just change the ports your torrent downloader is using, and it'll be grand.

If they really were throtteling p2p downloads, it would be just on the common ports. I doubt they use an analyser to look at every packet and protocol, to make decisions like "oh, *sniff* *sniff*, that'd be that part of that warez program he's getting again, THAT packet goes into the bin".
    No.

aphex, well when I will start download on other ports, won't they see it too??

the thing that pisses me off is that, I called them and I emailed them about this! I asked them if they throttle users the answer was: because you are on our unlimited package, you won't be throttled! nor your ports will be blocked!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Well they denied from the very top that it was a packet sniffer or port based throttle policy that time and the issue has not come up since it seems :) . There is a traffic shaping policy based on pure volume across all ports within their fair usage policy.

Logically it should speed up shortly after a 'long' session is stopped.

See.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1569454#post1569454

M

Thanks for the info Muck!

but I already sent them a long long email with a complaint lol

it kinda sucks, stopping your downloads after 14 hours, when you have already got good rating on BT :(

I use Qos packet management at home here. Basically, you have 2 types of traffic- 1) stuff that has to be there right NOW - pings etc. 2) downloads

Basically, if i am downloading say a linux ISO, i'll get crap pings. With Qos packet manager, it says look, we'll put the pings through the internet first, then the download.

This only affects the download by a few mili-seconds! So basically, their packet management would let someone else send an email fairly quickly, it'd then be sent and your download is still going nicelly. If that email is sending longer than yer download (one big long message, yeah), then yeah, they'll priortise (not throttle) the download!

But whose sending loads of emails on digiweb @ 2am? Nobody.

Couple of things then:

--Are you using Zone alarm? It doesn't work with bittorrent at all

--If you really think it's the packet scheduling just turn off the modem for a while next time you're out of the house for an hour or so. Help it to reset.

--Again, if you're uploading loads, your download will be crap. Turn off uploads for a while and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

A reconfirmation, as Muck and others have already highlighted - we do not throttle or limit the DSL connections. We monitor network performance but have not yet needed to apply our FAP to ANY DSL connection, and are not in any rush to do so.

CyberGhost - I understand your particular difficulty could be greatly helped by actually reading the BT help files, but its certainly not a Digiweb issue or action. (Your 'long email' was received, and I understand you've spoken with the guys on the helpdesk about this already).

Colm
    Digiweb Ltd.

ceepee, actually I haven't spoken to anyone, so that must have been a wrong guy

ceepee, but what do I about it now?

my speed is now 13.9kb/s! and it's not improving even after letting it to rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

we can't help you with your BT issue, but if you call through to the helpdesk direct at 042 9393350 and reference 'cyberghost' they'll go through the troubleshooting with you now for download/upload performance. Suffice to say, NONE of our DSL customers are throttled so the problem is due to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Cyberghost, you haven't installed XP service pack 2 recently have you? It severely impacts on BitTorrent and all P2p programmes. Do a google on tcpip.sys and incomming connections to get a hack to fix this if you have.

Advertisement