Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you see Wales And/Or the Ilse of Man from the east coast...?

• 07-09-2004 1:12am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the years I have heard that on a clear day in south dublin north wicklow you can see across the Irish Sea to Wales and the Ilse of Man,anybody no if this is true...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You can see Wales from the Wicklow mountains alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

yes

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

on a VERY clear day, it's possiable to see wales, not sure about the isle of man tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was able to pick up Manx Telecom (or whatever they are now), Cellnet, Orange, etc. on Howth Summit once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

so it is true...I always thought it was kind of a Dublin myth,Silly me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I was in Wales last weekend though and there wasn't a hope of seeing Wicklow.

I guess I wasn't up high enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

From my house in South Dub I can see the the Mountains on Mourne on a clear day, so it only stands to reason that you can see Wales too as they're about the same distance away

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

PH01 wrote:
    From my house in South Dub I can see the the Mountains on Mourne on a clear day, so it only stands to reason that you can see Wales too as they're about the same distance away

Surely there's a difference between looking up at a distant mountain and looking across the sea at flat land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

You can see the Welsh coast from the Wexford coast (sea level) on a clear day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Yeah tis true alrite on some days (especially cold ones in winter) u can see the outline of the hills of wales. Best viewed at dawn before any haze gets up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As has been said already, yes you can. It's best to get somewhere high, like the Dublin Mountains above Ballinteer or maybe the Wicklow Mountains and you can see Wales. I've seen it from in the Dublin Mountains on a clear day one Summer years ago, not there's much to be looking at, far away hills and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Look Here

See where The Isle of Man is, I'd say you could catch a glimpse of it from somewhere in Northern Ireland alright, if you can see Wales from Dublin and Wexford.

I was on holiday in The Isle of Man a few years ago ( jesus, now that I think about it, it was back in the 80's ) and I was on Snaefell, their highest peak, and apparently, if its a clear day you can see Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales from it's peak.
    Indeed, it is said that on a clear day you can see seven kingdoms: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Mann, and the Kingdoms of Heaven and the Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Look Here

See where The Isle of Man is, I'd say you could catch a glimpse of it from somewhere in Northern Ireland alright, if you can see Wales from Dublin and Wexford.

I was on holiday in The Isle of Man a few years ago ( jesus, now that I think about it, it was back in the 80's ) and I was on Snaefell, their highest peak, and apparently, if its a clear day you can see Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales from it's peak.
    Indeed, it is said that on a clear day you can see seven kingdoms: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Mann, and the Kingdoms of Heaven and the Sea.
    from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

PH01 wrote:

How can you see the Mournes over the Cooley mountains?
    You can't even do that from Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Ponster wrote:
    Surely there's a difference between looking up at a distant mountain and looking across the sea at flat land?

Dangerously close to a daring hypothesis that the earth is shaped like a kinder egg insert rather than a sphere.

Advertisement