Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling IOL Broadband

• 07-09-2004 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I am cancelling my IOL BB plus connection in October(my 12 month contract is up then). I have just got NTL :D and there is no comparison and it also enables me to get rid of Eircom also(happy days). So for less money get 1.5GB as opposed to 512K.

Ha anyone done this yet and what pitfalls are there, with IOLSs billing department I am afraid I will never get off their system. I think I will also cancel from the banks side also, just in case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Where abouts are you located m8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Sorry missed that reply - in Lucan.

Heres an update. Email from IOL

"
    As per the terms and conditions for Broadband, there is a 30 day written cancellation period once the 1 year contract has expired on all accounts. As we have received written cancellation notice, we will cancel your IOL Broadband internet account on 17.11.04.

You are required to pay full subscription fees until your account is fully closed.
    "

I would have thought I can cancel a month before. My contract was for a year and not for 13 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

email angela.keegan@esat.com the customer care manager , notified her personally now so the 12 months is up when the 12 months is up .... in October .

any crap , bump this thread .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Don't pay IOL anymore than you have to Kida and enjoy real broadband.

Nice one Muck good to see help like that !! I know who to call if I need help. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

1.5 gb ? or 1.5 mb (1.1 mb i read?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hmm 1.5GB eh?, I could do with that ;)

the contract does not say 12 months BEFORE you may give 30 days notice FFS, its Angelas job to explain this to her minions. Enjoy your cheaper broader NTL package Kida.

M

Thanks Muck sending her an email now

Got this response form "the minions" when I queried it.

"
    Thank you for your email.

Please see section 9.1 of the Broadband terms and conditions below. If you would like a copy of these please advise and we will post them to you.

9.1 "After the Minimum Period of 12 months has expired, either party may terminate the Agreement upon serving 30 days written notice to the other and any such termination shall be effective on the expiry of such written notice. You shall be responsible for the full payment of charges until termination"

For help with any further queries, please visit our new online website, Find Answers Right Now, at:

http://bt-esat.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt_esat.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sounds like they're grabbing you by the short and curlies and pulling hard.

b*stards.

they always have a way to get that little bit more out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Tell them you are moving house and their service isnt available where you are moving.. and then say it would be stupid paying for broadband for the next 2 months when you are not even going to use it..

• Advertisement

You can even cancel the Eircom line now which saves you €24 a month, then keep ringing IOL reporting faults on the BB if they are still being assholes.

12 months is 12 months.......not 12 months and 30 days .

M

Thanks for the idea Muck - I was getting rid of Eircom anyway . No response yet from Angela. Think this might be worth a visit to small claims court if they insist on 30 days notice after the 12 months. I am sure the advertsing standards body and comreg would also like to know.

especially the advertising standards body and Comreg and Consumer Affairs ( www.odca.ie) , all of whom would no doubt have an opinion on what 12 months contracts mean.

If Angela does not reply by Monday try her ever helpful (honest) boss , bill.murphy@esat.com . I woulda mentioned him before but honestly thought that Angela would have the manners to respond as promptly as he himself normally does.

He'll put a flea in her ear for ya.

HTH

M

gota reply from Angelas PA with a response from the product manager saying that I was correct and that I the 1 month notice can be part of the 12 months. I have now asked for the same reposne from Customer Care and an apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Whats the NTL package your going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

kida wrote:
    Thanks for the idea Muck - I was getting rid of Eircom anyway . No response yet from Angela. Think this might be worth a visit to small claims court if they insist on 30 days notice after the 12 months. I am sure the advertsing standards body and comreg would also like to know.

I wouldn't even bother. Send a letter to your bank cancelling the direct debit. Then let them chase you for it if they feel like it.

Advertisement