Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Lance's team weakening for some reason?

Options
  • 07-09-2004 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Although there may be other changes I don't know about, but with Victor Hugo Pena and Flyod Landis leaving US Postal / Discovery team, aren't Lance's prospects for another Tour de France title diminishing?
    I'd don't think he'd participate in TDF 2005 if he hadn't got a trusted and strong team around him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

TBH i don't really know much about pro cycling but i heard that the US postal service were pulling their sponsership of Lance's team....perhaps that's the reason some of the other riders are leaving (or been forced to leave).

p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Armstrong has typically been very astute in his team selection, he'll use these winter months along with Bruyneel to find his team. Although he has said that he may not focus on the Tour next year, prefering to have a look at the Giro and some of the classics instead, which would be really interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

US Postal are finishing their sponsorship of the team at the end of this year, but Discovery Channel is replacing them with a huge deal, reportedly worth $10million a year. Victor Hugo Pena is gone, and Landis is about to leave too. But they have signed Paolo Savoldelli and Yaroslav Popvych. Savoldelli won the 3-week Tour of Italy in 2002, while Popovych is 24 years old and came 3rd and 5th in the last 2 Tours of Italy. They are both very strong in time trials and in the mountains. Popvych will probably ride the Tour of Italy as team leader and then ride in support of Lance at next years Tour de France, ultimately replacing him as Tour de France team leader for the following years.

And after the first 4 stages of the Tour of Spain, US Postal are playing pass the jersey, with 3 different riders after wearing the leaders jersey. I think there is a lot of strenght in depth in that team...

Advertisement