Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement engine for a Ford Ka

Options
  • 07-09-2004 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Mrs G's Car is off the road having burnt out the engine, which now needs to be replaced. The trouble is that my mechanic hasn't been able to locate one in over a week, and if I am honest I think it is that he isn't particularly bothered either way. The matter is further complicated by the fact that the car is currently at a mechanics where it was dropped after being towed, and this mechanic has told me he doesn't want to do the job, and needs me to begin shifting the car.

This has been going on a week, and having to share my car is becoming a real inconvenience - Mrs G works shifts and weekends, I do long commutes to work, and so we both really need our own wheels. I am interested in getting this done as quickly as possible, and so I am going to start looking around for an engine myself.

So my questions
    • Where would be a good place to begin looking for an engine myself?
    • Is there a central 'board' or website, or is it more a case of calling breaking yards.
    • If so, where to begin?
    • And finally, (not wishing to sound stupid), would it be possible for me to transport the engine in my boot - or would it be too heavy / large? My car is a Colt.

Many Thanks. All help Appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Did you try ford or do you think that would be quite dear. My Pops blew the engine in his Scorpio and Ford had a new one within the week and he was back on the road in about 8 days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ask your mechanic to locate a 1.3 Fiesta engine.Theyre the same once the Fiesta engine is from 1996(new shape)onwards.
    Usually says Endura-e on the rocker cover.
    Your mechanic is probably ringing around looking for a Ka engine and doesnt know that a Fiesta one is the same.The engine should fit in the boot of a Colt with the seats down.
    Theres a breaker in Kilcock whos usually quite good for engines/gearboxes etc.Ive often got a decent enough Ford parts from him.
    Hope this helps.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

ehh there is a place up north that is real good for this sort of stuff, and far cheaper also , after my dad has his engine blown by an unamed son we got one down for next to nothing , straight swop in, and they deliver to a few hotel car parks in dublin ,

Give me an hour or so to find out who they are,

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Traynors deliver to the coachmans inn (near the airport) and then one or two places n the southside , my dad is extra pleased this morning for reminding him of his engine trouble....

Traynors : 04838891242
    McCoys : 0483088769
    Both around the Armagh area.

Hope this helps,

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks everyone! It looks like both Traynors and McCoys can help me, it is just coming down to organising the whole thing. I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

And Genghis, you Khan put a Ka injun in the boot of your Colt, but don't have an accident or it will break you in half on its way out. Also remember that engines always leak oil and gack when you least expect so put wood and carpet and rags under it to protect the Mitsi's boot.

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting that this thread has turned up three blown engines! What are you all doing!? :eek:

Mike.

Engines blow up - get over it. I let the oil out of an Uno once and drove it until the engine went BANG - a bit like running over your neighbours cat, cruel and unnecessary but great fun....

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I let the oil out of an Uno once and drove it until the engine went BANG - a bit like running over your neighbours cat, cruel and unnecessary but great fun....

LOL - you are a looper interceptor :D

• Advertisement

Hmmm, or maybe a bit of a saddo. Any chance of a loan of your Beamer there Unkel, I need to pull up some old tree roots at the bottom of me garden?!!!

I do have mechanical sympathy - but not for rental cars or Fiats...

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Advertisement