Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never forget

• 07-09-2004 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

You are now attending (to give it its full title)

The College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth, near Dublin, for the Conversion of Papists.

Don't worry, even if you're an unconverted Papist (like the previous Provost!) you are attending the only University in the country. Don't forget to look down on the rest of the student population as the ill-educated rabble that they are.

Oh and for all you Comp Sci / CSLL newbies, don't forget to enjoy DLD and remember, your course has one of the highest dropout rates of any in College.

Is the SciFi society still in house 6 or did they get run out of it like Gamers? Ah, memories....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Here are some statistics (the important one is highlighted)

In total, there were 15,165 registered students in 2001/02
    11,346 undergraduates (10,163 full-time / 1,183 part-time)
    3,819 postgraduates (1,970 full-time / 1,849 part-time)
    90% of our undergraduates are full-time
    25% of students are postgraduates
    Of the 15,165 students registered in 2001/02:
    87% were Irish
    7% were European (EU)
    3% were North or Central American
    3% were from other parts of the world
    The student population is 39% male and 61% female
    Every year some 250 students leave College to study abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth, near Dublin, for the Conversion of Papists.

Don't worry, even if you're an unconverted Papist (like the previous Provost!) you are attending the only University in the country. Don't forget to look down on the rest of the student population as the ill-educated rabble that they are.

Oh and for all you Comp Sci / CSLL newbies, don't forget to enjoy DLD and remember, your course has one of the highest dropout rates of any in College.

Is the SciFi society still in house 6 or did they get run out of it like Gamers? Ah, memories....

Where did you get the conversion of Papists from?

And here's a scary one

51% of CAO entrants to TCD had 500 points and above in 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

The statistics have a slight problem.
    In place of the 87% Irish put in CAO applicants.
    Many UK students apply to Trinity via the CAO. This does not make them Irish

gom wrote:
    The statistics have a slight problem.
    In place of the 87% Irish put in CAO applicants.
    Many UK students apply to Trinity via the CAO. This does not make them Irish

You could well be right (I've just taken these off a web page and i can't collobabrate them in any shape or form) but i'm not sure those stats are based on CAO information. Could be based on college regestration which does ask nationality (Mainly to gouge more money from non eu citizens).

p

• Advertisement

Pekelly

Which URL did you leech them off? I've been wondering where to find ANY stats on students on our college

gom wrote:
    Pekelly

Which URL did you leech them off? I've been wondering where to find ANY stats on students on our college

http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/Facts/

Enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

pekelly wrote:
    And here's a scary one51% of CAO entrants to TCD had 500 points and above in 2002

500+ points?! Oh no, I'm feeling out of place already! :eek:

Ah
    A CS student the except to the rule ;)

Trust me, i didn't get anywhere near 500 points. You'll be fine if you work hard.

There are 2 ways of doing well in college....

regurgitate back your lecture material with some extra reading to flesh it out a little bit (high II.2 or low II.1). This seems to be becoming more usual as schools no longer seem to teach any more but are leaving cert preparation factories.

or

actually try to get a full understanding of the concepts of your subject and be able to extrapolate your own viewpoint on it. The lecturer may disagree but as long as you can prove the reasoning (or references) behind your argument, they will nearly always be impressed. (II.1 or First)

Oh and try not to ask "will this be on the exam?".....a lot of lecturers detest the fact that alot of the more recent students are trying to turn universities into extensions of the secondary school grind....where there is no learning anymore

p

• Advertisement

pekelly wrote:

Oh and try not to ask "will this be on the exam?".....a lot of lecturers detest the fact that alot of the more recent students are trying to turn universities into extensions of the secondary school grind....where there is no learning anymore

p

If I could clense one body of students. In know which would be first on my list :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

ah I wouldn't worry about it - that's still 49% who haven't and I'm one of them!

gom wrote:
    If I could clense one body of students. In know which would be first on my list :D

Yeah. always one question i hated. I used to just look at the past papers. it was usually fairly obvious waht was comming up....

pekelly wrote:
    Yeah. always one question i hated. I used to just look at the past papers. it was usually fairly obvious waht was comming up....

Better off getting rid of exams altogether. 3 hours of intense writing isn't necessarily the best way to test your understanding of a subject.

atlas wrote:
    Better off getting rid of exams altogether. 3 hours of intense writing isn't necessarily the best way to test your understanding of a subject.

I was wondering how long it would take you to jump in!! :D

Do you reckon it should be presentation style in front of everyone...like what happened to me :eek:

Presentations are only one way of "testing" people. And they should be in a friendly as opposed to hostile environment. Other ways are projects (individual or group), essays, performative dance, singing contests, etc

atlas wrote:
    Presentations are only one way of "testing" people. And they should be in a friendly as opposed to hostile environment. Other ways are projects (individual or group), essays, performative dance, singing contests, etc

LOL....i'm still trying to get my dance routine sorted out......find that phosphate is a pain o interpret.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well to take the CS exam i had at the end of term, er a programming exam on paper? it just makes no sence to being with, exam encouraged people to just learn off material with it being quite predicible n so on. Sit everyone down in comp labs and come up with a random project to make em do, would have made so much more sence.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Pekelly: thanks for the male to female ratio list, always handy to have. :)

the female/male ratio won't work in my favour. Damn! ;)

• Advertisement

the female/male ratio won't work in my favour. Damn! ;)

Well you know college is all about broadening your horizons......

Triceradon wrote:
    Sit everyone down in comp labs and come up with a random project to make em do, would have made so much more sence.....

wouldn't it just? My brother had to do the same in Limerick and we heard about it for weeks! Although I did a Java in a computer lab with access to the Internet - not a good idea for a proper exam environment.

pekelly corrupting young girls - you should be ashamed of yourself! Someone should tell your mammy

pekelly wrote:

lol well i did say i was up for anything....!

atlas dont worry about kelly corrupting me, i think i can just about handle it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Often in the engineering exams we get asked question like explain why your method works and other questions based on the understanding of concepts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

pekelly wrote:
    Kelly you sick sick git, thats disgraceful! she so much younger than you and all!

Get me pics mmkay? ;)

atlas wrote:
    pekelly corrupting young girls - you should be ashamed of yourself! Someone should tell your mammy

I'm a good person really!!!! :D

crash_000 wrote:
    Kelly you sick sick git, thats disgraceful! she so much younger than you and all!

Get me pics mmkay? ;)

LOL.....I'll see what i can do!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

College.

I'd like to hear more about this gamers getting run out of house six.

• Advertisement

pekelly- exactly how old are you....? i mean i wasnt under the impression you were a fresher or anything, but judging by these reactions, i'm still wrong about how old you are! I'm 19 in december btw :D

Advertisement