Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Walkinstown roundabout has 6 exits - some with three lanes. So if you are going straight ahead (exit 3) you should enter in the middle lane indicating right. Then as you pass the second turn to your left you indicate left.
    Yeah Walkinstown is a bit mad, it just requires some good judgement and common sense, something sorely missing on Irish roads. Generally I use two exits per lane, so Left lane - 1 & 2, middle lane - 3 & 4, right lane - everything else.

You have to watch out for people who have no idea what they're doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rickets wrote:
    Wouldn't it be less hassle to just click your indicater - instead of looking around and checking EVERYWHERE each time you want to turn?
    Well, seeing as you'll be looking around and checking everywhere anyway before you make the turn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Rickets wrote:
    Wouldn't it be less hassle to just click your indicater - instead of looking around and checking EVERYWHERE each time you want to turn?

You're supposed to look around before you change your road position. "Mirror, signal, manoeuvre". An indicator doesn't give you a right to move, it is used to signal your intention. Nothing more.

I've seen discussions on some advanced driving forums/fora. Opinion is divided there too. I'd tend to go for the always use the indicator, just in case you missed some person who's walking a dark road at night with a very chic black coat on. One of the books on advanced driving has a chapter on information. How to take information, use it and to give information (my italics).
    I use the indicators when there are no other vehicles around. Don't forget pedestrians also will also see them and base their decision to jump in front of you on the signals you are sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    Well, seeing as you'll be looking around and checking everywhere anyway before you make the turn.....

That's precisely the point I was trying to make :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    You have to watch out for people who have no idea what they're doing though.
    i.e. half of people driving a car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

How about the stupid mini-roundabouts that have popped up all over the place in recent years? (Although from my recollection I don't remember seeing many in Ireland.)

Trying to follow the Highway Code's recommendations for signaling while driving round (or more likely over) one of these contraptions is pretty near impossible. Most people here don't even try -- We just signal as though it were a normal intersection.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    i.e. half of people driving a car!

Optimist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

John R wrote:
    The second exit should be treated the same whether it is in a straight line with the approach road or not.

afaik if the second exit is past 180 degrees, you're supposed to indicate right.

Local norms have to be taken into account too. I know a roundabout in Midleton where I never use indicators. Any time I use the correct ones, some muppet mis-interpets and jumps out in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

id indicate... it would "feel" wrong not to...

Advertisement