Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no operating system

Options
  • 07-09-2004 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

A friend of mine's Gateway wouldn't start up windows the other day,it just left the message "no operating system". I had a look at the BIOS but i dunno whats goin on. How will i get the fuker started properly? I know its probably just a wrong drive allocation or somethin. He had it changed from a partitioned drive to just one drive by some guy who fixed it there a while back.
    So,waddaya think I should do?
    Best plan of action?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Check the bios to see if the drive is being picked up.
    It should say something about Primary IDE HDD or something similar.

If there's nothing in there, then open up the case and check the connections are in securely.
    In fact take them out and put them back in.

Then try again.

Let us know what happens.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I know this is obvious but check to see there is no floppy in the drive iif it even has one

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

I'm guessing it is an old Gateway running Windows 98. If it is the case that the hard drive is being picked up it would be worth seeing if you can boot from a Windows 98 boot floppy (one should have come with the PC, if not just google for a site where you can download one). If you can replace the missing/corrupted system files from the floppy onto the hard drive. Also run a full up to date virus scan ( www.grisoft.com for a good freebie one if needed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's Win98, and you have a bootable system disk, you can try
    fdisk /mbr
    to restore the master boot record, or if the command is on the disk,
    sys c:
    will transfer the system back to c: so it's bootable. I haven't done this for quite a while so I'd take all that with more than a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

My first guess is that it has a Quatum Fireball harddrive and it's died on ya. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

My first pc was a compaq with a 4gb Quantum fireball HDD. I sold it to my uncle and its still going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

[cough]www.LinuxISO.org[/cough]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

[cough]Charter[/cough]

Any chance of trying the hard disk drive as a slave in another computer? That would quickly tell you if the hdd's done for.

Advertisement