Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights

Options
  • 07-09-2004 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I want to get some lights for my bike now that the evenings are drawing in.

LED lights seem to be all the rage now - but are they just good for visibility without actually lighting up the road ahead much ?

What I'm looking for:
    Something that can clip-off easily so won't be nicked.
    Must use AA batteries - (cos i have lots of rechargeable AAs!)
    Lighting up the road ahead isn't critical - visibility is more important.

Any recommendations appreciated !

this is what i've been looking at:
    http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProductModels.php?catId=7&subCatId=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I believe LED lights have been shown to be far more effective in the crucial visibility way of things. Presume it's the blinking thing, although they are far brighter. However afaik they are not legally acceptable lighting so that may have repercussions if you were hit and were suing...

I can imagine it now though

Judge: Did you see the cyclist.

Dude: yes you're honour, but his lighting wasn't legally acceptable.

Judge: you made this assessment before or after hitting him?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

thanks uberwolf - without being too arsey about it...I came across this:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/lighting_of_bicycles_in_ireland.html

so i reckon LEDs are legit to use.

I wasn't thinking of getting the blinking kind - was going to get one with a constant beam (although most of the LED lamps can do both)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I bought a really expensive LED front light and its not worth a curse to light the way, but it will cut the eyes out of other traffic and can be seen for miles. I'd recommend LED for city use and halogen for country use (and if you own a battery shop)

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would suggest you go for both if you can afford it - LEDs for constant use and halgen for front illumination. LEDs are immensly efficient. LED headlights are available with a slight blue tint that are as bright if not brighter than some car headlights.

Dynamos don't eat you batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I use the cateye el200's on the front. They're common enough. 3 bluey white LED's, can blink or be constant. I've about a 5 mile commute to work, and 4 miles of that is with no street lighting, and about a mile is sinlge lane country roads. I find the light out of it is quite adequate for cycling at night( all times of the night!), but it's a bit hard when the roads are wet, as everything just looks black, but i don't think any lights will help you with that. All you need to do is adjust the angle its pointing at to get a decent field of view. The lamp itself is great, no tools needed to install it. Very quick to take of, and it can "swive" a bit for which is handy on long corners. Takes 4AA batteries, but i wouldn't recommend recharagables, because they just "go". The batteries do last the ditance, i get about 2 months out of mine, averageing about 8/9 hours a week.
    Cost:? About €25 in most shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I took all of your advice on board! Thanks!

I went into Cycleways on Parnell Street on Saturday - excellent bike shop.

I was looking at the lights and was going to buy a Cateye EL200 and a rear LED light.

One of the guys recommended a set with front and back LEDs - made by Smart called Polaris. So thats what I bought - it cost 27.95 euro.

The front light is very small - and takes 2 AA's - it would cut the eyes out of you. Doesn't do a fantastic job of lighting up the road ahead - but i'm sure i can be seen for miles!

http://www.bicyclemagic.com/products.php?plid=m2b18s44p171&tbv=SMART_Polaris_3_White_LED_Front_Light_ACCESSORIES_Lights

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Takes 4AA batteries, but i wouldn't recommend recharagables, because they just "go".
    This may be more of a function of the LEDs than the batteries. LEDs can only be on full or off, no halfway point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It something i've noticed before, even with normal bulbs, but that might be ni-cd batteries.
    That el200 does get less bright, its not just a case of '0' or '1'.

Advertisement