Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Router?

• 07-09-2004 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

i posted before but now i wanna buy 1 asap

can someone link me to a cheap router (i say cheap because i dont really need all the extra things that u can get with routers for security and stuff because its for a home network of 3 pcs and a laptop and i am in control of em all so i need a cheap router that my adsl external usb modem can be plugged directly into so its on all the time and not needing my main rig to be on for the internet to be active on the other pcs

also i need a cheap little wireless card so i can plug that into my laptop which will also be on the network..just wiresless obviously ;) ive got 3 cat5 cables around and about so i just need a router and a card (i think?)

anyone know of anything good that will do me?

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Not sure if you'll find a router that lets your modem connect via usb. You could get a wireless router with a built-in modem. Dell sell a Belkin one for €119 and elara have some for around €150-€160 including a wireless usb key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i'd just buy ADSL router like aodh_rua said, it will be the same price anyway!

D-link 604+ is a good choice, it's an old one but very good, has everything you'll need, if you don't require more than 22mb wireless speed, than get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

problem is (just reading about it now)

i live in Hull (east yorkshire) and we dont have bt lines round here so we have our own isp kinston communications - karoo and ive got a fujitsu modem off them and a special karoo disc that already sets it up because we seem to dial a different number to the default drivers...1,50 i think i dial..and then i think it changes all the other options to us specifically and i dont know how that would work with this 1..i really dont know crap about modems and networks and stuff..but ive only got a 1.1mb line (soon to be 2.2mb if they hurry up and bring the next speed out) thats probably as fast as mine will get so no i dont need immense speed from it..its sounding good this D-Link 1..just trying to get my head round it :rolleyes:

just been googling it but it doesnt like the +

is this the same sort of thing?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5718587722

like i said..im not sure about networking so bare with me please ;)

btw this is my crappy little modem:

http://www.ftel.co.uk/uk/products/consumer/fdx310.html

incase that helps at all...

here's a guy that had a problem like you ViperVenoM

http://www.expansys.com.au/forumthread.asp?code=107348&thread=2

• Advertisement

like i said..im not sure about networking so bare with me please

Don't worry about it man! we are here to help each other!

give me some time, I'll find some router for you!

thx m8 :D

im looking all over ebay in the network bits and none of em are supporting usb modems so fair enough it seems im gonna need a new 1 just the question is..how can i get my stupid settings sorted out....coz if i cant do it i cant even get back online to ask you guys :eek:

here's a very nice router+wireless card! for 112 euro!

http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=2931

what you need/should ask from your isp is:

password/login - you prolly have them already right?
    primary DNS ip:
    secondary DNS ip:
    if you have static ip? if you do you want to know it:
    your VPI and VCI numbers - if you buy from the UK, you probably won't need to know that

and here's a very very good forum, with lots of nice people, that can help you with D-Link, if you get dlink you can pm me, I'll try to help you too
    http://www.expansys.it/forumoverviewcat.asp?man=D-LIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

ViperVenoM wrote:
    just been googling it but it doesnt like the +

is this the same sort of thing?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5718587722
    No - that's just a "broadband router" - it doesn't know anything about DSL, so you need to have an ethernet connection to plug it into.

You need something like this which has a DSL modem as well as wireless and wired ports.

• Advertisement

ViperVenoM wrote:
    problem is (just reading about it now)

i live in Hull (east yorkshire) and we dont have bt lines round here so we have our own isp kinston communications - karoo and ive got a fujitsu modem off them and a special karoo disc that already sets it up because we seem to dial a different number to the default drivers...1,50 i think i dial..and then i think it changes all the other options to us specifically and i dont know how that would work with this 1..i really dont know crap about modems and networks and stuff..but ive only got a 1.1mb line (soon to be 2.2mb if they hurry up and bring the next speed out) thats probably as fast as mine will get so no i dont need immense speed from it..its sounding good this D-Link 1..just trying to get my head round it :rolleyes:
    You really should find a forum where you can get advice from other Kingston customers who know more about the setup you are using.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ might be the best place to start.

Ripwave wrote:
    No - that's just a "broadband router" - it doesn't know anything about DSL, so you need to have an ethernet connection to plug it into.

You need something like this which has a DSL modem as well as wireless and wired ports.

the same router
    http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/product...uct.asp?id=2931

plus he will get a pc card for the laptop for 112

ok lemme get through all these lol

1st 1 ..sounding good..maybe a little expensive though..do i really need 54mbps for a 1.1mb line or is that just the lowest you can get?

as for all that crap ill need off my isp...i know my password/login and the fact i dont have a static ip...the rest i think i can find in the settings..i got some crappy installation paper with the karoo settings on but thats like 2years old now..i wont be able to find him so ill take a look around the settings for the rest of them and anything i dont know ill email em...

ill take a look round adslguide but karoo users are like the minority users there..like finding a needle in a haystack another karoo user who wants to do the same..but i guess ill keep looking
    ;)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=976&CategoryID=80&ShopGroupID=38

too expensive....i havent even looked at the specs the only reason im posting it is because in 1 of the posts at the bottom:

It didn’t recognise my isp’s settings but that’s not surprising as Karoo’s settings are completely different to BT’s. Manual configuration is straightforward and my network was connected to to the Internet in under 10 minutes using dhcp.

theres hope yet!

:D

CyberGhost wrote:
    the same router
    http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/product...uct.asp?id=2931

plus he will get a pc card for the laptop for 112
    Yes - I opened the thread before you post, but I didn't get round to posting a reply for a while.

That's a very low price for that device - Even DSL-Warehouse, which also includes the free wireless card (I assume it's a D-Link special offer), charge €145 plus delivery.

ViperVenoM, 54 megs is not for your dsl, if for connection between your router and your laptop,

ethernet ports are 100 megs but wireless will be 54, and that's a very good speed, but it has nothing to do with your internet

Ripwave, I didn't know it was so much, after I looked at your elara link, I'm thinking of buying myself :D

bottom line is that you need a ADSL router, and what Ripwave and I suggest you is very very nice piece of hardware! for a very cheap price! both pccard and the router for 112, is very cheap

plus it's a uk webside it will come preconfigured for you! you don't have a static ip all you will have to do is connect cables enter you password and login and click connect!

hmm..i guess its that then...as there doesnt seem to be anything else...sounds good though with a nice free wireless card...ill look around in the hope i can find it cheaper elsewhere..but i prob wont be able to :rolleyes:

i just spent £400 on upgrading my pc so i was aiming cheap but it does sound like a nice piece of kit ;)

i wont need any other cables to get my 3 pcs and 1 laptop running then?

ive got mircofilters...3 cat5 cables ...and er..thats it :p

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=993&CategoryID=123&ShopGroupID=38&Title=D-Link%20DI-624%20108Mbps%20SuperG%20AirPlusXtremeG%20Broadband%20Wireless%20Router

isnt that the same 1..just 108 instead of 54?

shame really coz it works out at exactly the same price as that 54 1..if only these did the 54 1 it could be a little cheaper :(

bah thats not actually a modem anyway..or im reading it wrong

• Advertisement

yea, it's very nice, but you won't get a pccard!

plus 54 megs is more than enough!

you won't need any more cables!

looks like im gonna have to part with the pennies *sniff*

trying to find 1 in £ not euros though..cheapest ive found is £76.95...that 1 you linked me to converted at £76.311 aw! :rolleyes: 64p!!!

but needs must..ill keep looking for cheaper sites..in the off chance i get lucky....hmm maybe ebay... :p

ViperVenoM wrote:
    The standard (802.11g) is 54MBs. Some manufacturers have tweaked that so that, if you use their base station and their cards, you can get higher throughput (though the "headline numbers" are very misleading - you'll never get a 54Mbps download with one of these setups, never mind 108Mbps. On a good 802.11g network, 20Mbps file transfers would be excellent).

The DI-624 is "just" a wireless router - it doesn't understand DSL, so it needs a seperate DSL modem (with ethernet port) which you don't have. So the 604T is what you need.

ok ill be buying that 1 you linked me to tomorrow i think..if i can scrape the cash together ;)

dunno if ill be able to set the dodgy karoo settings up though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

The link posted below for rlsupplies.co.uk doesn't work! I'm also on the lookout for a broadband solution and this looked like a nice solution, esp with the free pccard. Can anybody supply the correct link ;)

degsie wrote:
    The link posted below for rlsupplies.co.uk doesn't work!
    It works for me - did you click on the link, or try to copy and paste it? Boards doesn't display the full link, so a cut and paste won't work, but the underlying link is still good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ripwave wrote:
    It works for me - did you click on the link, or try to copy and paste it? Boards doesn't display the full link, so a cut and paste won't work, but the underlying link is still good.

That links works for me too. Looks a great offer.

Komplett has a wireless router on the weekly special.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118982&cks=WOF

I was thinking of this because my laptop has wireless inbuilt and NTL supply a modem. Only problem is that it doesn't seem to have lan ports, which I think would be handy. So I think the other offer looks better.

I was thinking of this because my laptop has wireless inbuilt and NTL supply a modem. Only problem is that it doesn't seem to have lan ports,
    The specifications page says:
    1 x network - Radio-Ethernet
    1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
    4 x network node - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45

You won't be able to use the 604T with NTL - it's an ADSL router, and doesn't have an ethernet WAN port it only has an ADSL port for "input".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

ADSL router, so that means its not a ethernet router? I'm not all that hot on networking so excuse the dumb questions. The others seem to be eithernet routers and wireless access points.

Whats the story with the firewall, and filtering on these routers. Also the wireless encryption they can do. Is this all something that we should be using? Is it handy enough to set up? Would you still need to run a local firewall like zone alarm on the client?

• Advertisement

http://www.expansys.fr/forumthread.asp?code=110551&thread=171

just bought the 1 you linked me too :D should be coming tomorrow..but that linked reassures me a bit, the stuff hes pasted is that all i need, as well as my password and stuff...or is there any other special numbers im gonna be wanting to take note of?

Advertisement