Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eircom upping their Cap?

• 07-09-2004 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

I'm hearing rumours that Eircom are upping their cap on the lower broadband rate !!
    Ia this true, does anybody know?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Its about time eircom boost their packages particularly the homeplus/business starter packages which are intended for heavier home users but are very expensive and only offering a mere 4gb more than the starter. The current tiny 8gb cap should be changed to at least 20-30gb range. The cheaper eircom homestarter package should keep its 4gb cap as its intended for light users but the price of it should drop further to allow further uptake of broadband.

I also feel that eircom should introduce 2 further packages for the home user, 1 being a capless product at around €60 per month and another offering with 1mb and 2mb speed options for the home user using radsl rather than the high pinging adsl product, unfortunately I cant see either of the above options happening any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

newbie2 wrote:
    I'm hearing rumours that Eircom are upping their cap on the lower broadband rate !!
    Ia this true, does anybody know?
    It doesn't seem likely - they announced a new round of offers only last week, and haven't changed the download allowance.

Anyway, what difference does it make - just get your broadband from IOL or UTV instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

newbie2 wrote:
    Where did you hear this? Could you please be more specific about your "rumour" sources - €irocn won't change anything unless they afto. It's possible once NTL roll out to the majority of Dublin they will respond in some form, but before then......why should they bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Gonzo wrote:
    I also feel that eircom should introduce 2 further packages for the home user, 1 being a capless product at around €60 per month and another offering with 1mb and 2mb speed options for the home user

Steady on there boss. The warez police would be kicking your door in if they thought you were getting an uncapped product for €60 and nicking all their bandwidth.

Still, we can dream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

wicklow sales rep said business caps are due to go up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I never said that an uncapped product is for downloading warez nor did I say that if an uncapped product was available that I would avail of it. I merely suggested that it would be a good idea for an uncapped option to be made available for those who can afford and want it (but we know it isnt gonna happen for a long time). Uncapped services are the norm in most other countries, it would be nice to have an option where the user doesnt have to constantly monitor their usage data every day especially when other family members/friends use the same internet connection every day.

Whoa Gonzo, I was joking earlier. :D I'm all in favour of uncapped connections as well, but some narrow-minded people think that everybody should get by on 4Gb a month (or whatever the small amount is these days).

Maybe there should be a tongue-in-cheek smilie...

ChipZilla wrote:
    Whoa Gonzo, I was joking earlier. :D I'm all in favour of uncapped connections as well, but some narrow-minded people think that everybody should get by on 4Gb a month (or whatever the small amount is
    No, some of us who get by on 4G a month don't think we should have to subsidise those of you who don't.

I don't care if you download 100G a month, as long as you pay for it, and don't degrade the service that I'm paying for while you're at it.

Ripwave, didn't I put you on my ignore list some time ago? Never mind, you're back on it again now, so don't bother yourself replying to any more of my posts.... :eek:

ChipZilla wrote:
    Ripwave, didn't I put you on my ignore list some time ago? Never mind, you're back on it again now, so don't bother yourself replying to any more of my posts.... :eek:
    It's never any bother to correct misinformation. It's not my problem if you'd rather stay misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ripwave wrote:
    No, some of us who get by on 4G a month don't think we should have to subsidise those of you who don't.

I don't care if you download 100G a month, as long as you pay for it, and don't degrade the service that I'm paying for while you're at it.

Of course if it wasn't for all of us evil warez monkeys there would not have been nearly as much demand for broadband. It would have taken much longer for the telcos to bother investing in BB technology as the rates of return would be much lower and the costs to the individual user higher.

Without the demand for Broadband from the music killing copyright thieves, Bill Gates hating software pirates and RSI afflicted dirty perverts, you in all of your law abiding, clean living, "i just want to get my e-mail faster and watch movie trailers" saintlyhood would have been waiting much longer and paying much more for a decent internet connection.

John R wrote:
    Of course if it wasn't for all of us evil warez monkeys there would not have been nearly as much demand for broadband. It would have taken much longer for the telcos to bother investing in BB technology as the rates of return would be much lower and the costs to the individual user higher.
    Bollox. Warez monkeys generate lots of media coverage, but you're such a tiny proportion of actual broadband users, and an even smaller proprtion of the early adopters, that it takes quite a feat of egoism to actually believe that you're responsible for widespread demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

what connection are you actually on ripwave? (i mean that in a curious way not a confrontational challenging way)

griffdaddy wrote:
    what connection are you actually on ripwave? (i mean that in a curious way not a confrontational challenging way)
    I've been a Ripwave user since last October.

Ripwave wrote:
    I've been a Ripwave user since last October.
    I.E. --> "I'm on a connection which has no cap and I like preaching to you b4stards on a 4Gb cap about how greedy you all are for wanting what I have"

Ripwave every single time someone mentions how annoying they find their cap you reply calling them warez mokey; this has been going on for months. Are you not bored of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I think the 4gb cap is complete crap and i aint no warez monkey, to be honest I wouldnt know where to find warez nowadays.

Its actually streaming video during hurricane frances that used up 70 percent of my september download allowance.

my estimated download usage for the month is 8GB just wondering how much would that cost, given that i may choose to watch the coverage of hurricane ivan too.

oh almost forgot, cant go to UTV or IOL until my contract is up in April 2005

I.E. --> "I'm on a connection which has no cap and I like preaching to you b4stards on a 4Gb cap about how greedy you all are for wanting what I have"
    First off, I don't call people who sign up for a 4G cap and then complain about it greedy, I call them stupid.

Second, if you don't like preaching, maybe you should stop doing it yourself - this notion that "it's not really broadband if it's capped" is about as religious a mantra as you'll see here on boards.

Third, Ripwave doesn't need a "cap", because you'd be hard pressed to download 8G a month on the connection that I had for at least half of the last year.

Fourth - it's been a while since I did inter cert maths, but I can still calculate how much 30 days worth of 512kb/s (if you could get 512kbp/s) divided by 40 people comes to.
    Ripwave every single time someone mentions how annoying they find their cap you reply calling them warez mokey; this has been going on for months. Are you not bored of it?
    I didn't introduce the term warez monkeys, I quoted "John R" who used it to describe himself.

I am bored of listening to all you moaners who don't constitute a viable market, but feel that everyone else owes you something.

Ripwave wrote:
    First off, I don't call people who sign up for a 4G cap and then complain about it greedy, I call them stupid.
    So true! I'm going to change to NTL right now! Oh wait I CAN'T; aren't we all stupid for living were we live.
    Ripwave wrote:
    Second, if you don't like preaching, maybe you should stop doing it yourself - this notion that "it's not really broadband if it's capped" is about as religious a mantra as you'll see here on boards.
    I didn't say that, what I said is that any time someone complains about the caps you will be there ready to give out to them for complaining about the fact the Irish population is being sodomised by €ircon. How dare they, the stupid twits they are.
    Ripwave wrote:
    Third, Ripwave doesn't need a "cap", because you'd be hard pressed to download 8G a month on the connection that I had for at least half of the last year.
    Umm someone said something about this a while back, I can't exactly remember what it was.....
    First off, I don't call people who sign up for a 4G cap and then complain about it greedy, I call them stupid
    It's not as if you didn't have a choice now Ripwave, right? The same fantastic choice that all of us in Ireland have.
    Ripwave wrote:
    Fourth - it's been a while since I did inter cert maths, but I can still calculate how much 30 days worth of 512kb/s (if you could get 512kbp/s) divided by 40 people comes to.
    24 people - for me anyway - not 40 people and that 512kb/s figure would mean an effective download rate of 15kB/s ( less ) if let's say 5 people were downloading at the same time from one of the lower 1:48 packages. The fact of the matter is that people get ~52kB/s sustained on many large and long downloads that could take hours ( I do ) and they don't dip to 15kB for any amount of time. Amazing. That means that whenever I want to download something everyone I'm contending my connection with ( i.e. 23 other people ) STOP downloading, browsing, checking emails, IMing, etc...so that I can get 52kB/s downloading speeds. Gosh that's so nice of them :D, I'll afto send them some x-mas cards at christmas just so they know their effort was appreciated. On the other, more likely, hand the backhaul may actually be more then 512kb/s! Gee whiz Ripwave do you think that maybe that's it? Maybe it's 2mb/s or some other impossible number. If that's so I could save a fortune on x-mas cards :), lucky me.
    Ripwave wrote:
    I didn't introduce the term warez monkeys, I quoted "John R" who used it to describe himself.
    Sorry but People Who Download Massive Amounts I.E. Over 4 Or 8 GB A Month!!! - just doesn't have the same punch as warezmonkey, it's shorter and quicker to type.
    Ripwave wrote:
    I am bored of listening to all you moaners who don't constitute a viable market, but feel that everyone else owes you something.
    I have a *novel* solution, I realise this may be *far out* and emm......unviable but how about ignoring those threads/posts which you feel are just to OTT. Like this one from billy the squid:
    I think the 4gb cap is complete crap and i aint no warez monkey, to be honest I wouldnt know where to find warez nowadays.

Its actually streaming video during hurricane frances that used up 70 percent of my september download allowance.

my estimated download usage for the month is 8GB just wondering how much would that cost, given that i may choose to watch the coverage of hurricane ivan too.

oh almost forgot, cant go to UTV or IOL until my contract is up in April 2005
    What an ungrateful b*stard, God doesn't he just make your blood boil Ripwave :mad: ? billy the squid you should be ashamed of yourself; how can you complain before the blinding wisdom of Ripwave! We must all sing his praises for showing us our errors!

Hallelujah, €ircon be praised for your fantastic bounty!
    *Offler waves hands in the air in a fit of ecstasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Ripwave wrote:

Should I have used :rolleyes: then? I apologise for assuming you to be intelligent enough to recognise sarcasm.
    Ripwave wrote:

I never said that heavy downloaders alone are a large enough market, I don't believe that there would be a critical mass without them either.
    Without a considerable number who want to D/L large amounts there would not be a great deal of pressure to increase speeds beyond the current 1/2-1 Mbit. Above that the advantage to most other uses is very small yet speeds of 20-30 Mbit are becoming more common in many markets.

I don't know anyone who has paid for BB that has no interest in downloading large files, several non-tech people I know that were looking into BB were very surprised when they found out about the download restrictions, they had naturally assumed that always on and 512k/sec meant exactly that.

So true! I'm going to change to NTL right now! Oh wait I CAN'T; aren't we all stupid for living were we live..
    I think you'd probably qualify as stupid where ever you lived.

(Here's a clue - if you can get DSL with a 4G cap, then you can get DSL with an 8G cap for less).

As for contention ratios, if you had an attention span greater than a goldfish, you might have noticed that points 1, 2 and 3 were about Ripwave, and so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to figure out that point 4 was also about Ripwave.

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    Should I have used :rolleyes: then? I apologise for assuming you to be intelligent enough to recognise sarcasm.
    Yes, John, I recognize sarcasm.

Luckily, I don't have to apologize for assuming that you'd be intelligent enought to recognize a straw man attack when you saw one - warez monkeys seldom are.

Ripwave wrote:
    I think you'd probably qualify as stupid where ever you lived.
    Well argued Ripwave your debating skills are unparalleled.
    Ripwave wrote:
    (Here's a clue - if you can get DSL with a 4G cap, then you can get DSL with an 8G cap for less)
    I know; I'm on IOL's Plus package the best package available to me. On the other hand there are many people who went for €ircon without knowing better, just because €ircon have a bigger presence due to this monopoly thing they have. Also because the cap is not exactly something that ISPs shout about in their ads.....
    John R wrote:
    several non-tech people I know that were looking into BB were very surprised when they found out about the download restrictions, they had naturally assumed that always on and 512k/sec meant exactly that.
    They are obviously stupid, John R is obviously stupid for saying this:
    John R wrote:
    I don't know anyone who has paid for BB that has no interest in downloading large files
    I am stupid for were I live and the BB package I have, for the fact I'm posting this too. Your entire life Ripwave must consist of you swimming againts torrents of stupid people, all those people who don't agree with you, they are all tickos. It must be a tough life indeed. Being Ripwave.....an excellent movie title I think.
    Ripwave wrote:
    As for contention ratios, if you had an attention span greater than a goldfish,
    Sorry what did you say? I was distracted by all those pretty bubbles drifting out of your mouth.
    Ripwave wrote:
    you might have noticed that points 1, 2 and 3 were about Ripwave, and so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to figure out that point 4 was also about Ripwave.
    I see the 4 points you made were about Ripwave. See I'm so stupid I though you were talking about the ADSL offering by €ircon! I wonder why......Point 1:
    Ripwave wrote:
    Ahh yes the famous 4GB cap that IBB have on their Ripwave product in their own words...
    Any home user wishing to have unlimted** personal usage for €29.99 per month
    Point 2:
    Ripwave wrote:
    I don't see how preaching has anything to do with Ripwave....I can't find it on IBB's web-site. It's probably cause I'm stupid.
    Point 3:
    Ripwave wrote:
    Third, Ripwave doesn't need a "cap", because you'd be hard pressed to download 8G a month on the connection that I had for at least half of the last year
    Yes the only problem with that statement is that I don't see the relevance.....the title of this thread isn't "Are IBB upping their Cap?" but "Are Eircom upping their Cap?" So out of nowhere the thread is all of a sudden about Ripwave's poor performance ( the product not the guy who keeps seeing stupid people ) instead of Eircom's caps.....Ripwave the master of non sequitur. Don't worry maybe if Eircom up their cap IBB will be forced to follow suit because of competition. Point 4:
    Ripwave wrote:
    I see! IBB are probably doing the same thing Eircom are doing, their backhaul is not something like 10mb/s so they can feed all those 512kb and 1mb connections. Na it's more like 512kb for 40 people! Maybe they are using a 56kb modem connected to AOL, those stupid companies, I think you should go and tell them what to do. You'll see the problem and fix it all up, 512MB caps anyone? Sure that's plenty for anyone because after all we just don't have the bandwidth! ( 512/40 means ~2kB download speed each so we've got to stop being greedy and stupid and start conserving this precious natural resource )

33.6kb modems for all!!!
    VIVA LA ( RIPWAVE INSPIRED ) REVOLUTION

**That means 4GB cap

By the way Ripwave I think my most recent Journal entry is reminiscent of your kinda of stile of person. Calm Down or you'll end up like him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I have noticed that since I moved to eircom ( and september will be my first full month ) I am finding if difficult to keep within the cap and I have d/led nothing to speak of . It is being eaten up by irc , TS , forums , e-mail and gamin .

There you go, Jonski's not even a warez monkey and he's having trouble with the cap...

Caps are crap. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I agree once isps here reach the 30/32gig cap, there will be alot less people moaning about the caps, that will be 1gig a day which is more than enough for most people and allows you to use your broadband without worrying at every lil thing that gets downloaded. At the moment im restricted to 266mb a day on average which is laughable considering how fast braodband can download websites, flash movies, video streaming, gaming, game patchs, demos, total conversions, map-packs and lots of other non-warez stuff. My contract is up in february and will look at switching to IOL to avail of the much better cap they have on offer if eircom dont upgrade their caps to something similiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Officercrocgod, ripwave and anyone else that feels like having a bitch - go away. Either bring it to PM or meet up in person and bottle each other, I don't care, but you're not going to be doing it here anymore. If you feel like continuing you'll be banned. No more warnings.

That isn't for the next day or two either, it's until... the new year sometime. The bans will probably last till then aswell if you make me do it. So dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

If ye decide to meet in person for a bottle fest atleast let the rest of us know about it so we can see some live entertainent that won't effect our cap .

• Advertisement

It's OK Moriarty I'm not a fighting man :D I was already thinking that I should have said in my last post that this is a pointless scuffle and it's not worth any more ill feelings and that it should just be dumped. You took the words out of my mouth ;) Sorry to disappoint you jonski :)

Advertisement