Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hellboy

• 07-09-2004 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

anyone else think this was a bit, well, sh!te??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I did :(
    I was really looking forward to it. I found the whole thing to be quite boring. Very disappointing. None of the characters were very interesting, particularly the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

question is as a low budget not so well known comic adaption is it better then daredevil... i think so which sorta makes it a better film over all

i didn't get the girl all she does is explode? and kill lots of innocent people in the mental hospital woohoo!

the fish guy was stupid but the clockwork baddies were scary the art design was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I liked it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I loved it, though I'll admit to having no real knowledge of the character beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Was this not released last year or something or earlier this year or am I just going insane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

released ages ago in america. only out in europe just now.

personnally i loved it, had a indiana jones feel to its characters
    espeicilly when he follows the girl on the rooftops
    i'd agree the girl was sh*t but the rest of the film was very enjoyable and in all fairness i cant think of any really good adventure action films this year. They've all been sorta flawed in my opinion (Riddick heavily edited, AVP cleaned up too much, Spider-man 2 far too similar to original.) So in all fairness i was happy with what i got in hellboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I found it to be enjoyable if unspectacular.

The biggest let-down for me was the fact that, personally, I didn't feel any kind of suspense at all.
    Especially the scene at the very end of the when Liz dies... We all know that Hellboy is versed in magic, so theres no possibility at all that she'll remain dead.
    I enjoyed the opening scenes, but it seemed to lose momentum throughout... Not to mention Hellboy kinda overdosing on the quips, like a comic book version of Ah-nuld, Bruce, Sylvester and Clint all thrown together in a big pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I liked it, I've never read the comic though

I hated it...strange plotting and Hellboy making quips every 5 seconds.

It didnt seem to know whether it was a serious adaptation or jokey....

Oh yeah and a weird script:

"Will you look at the whacker on that thing!?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I Have a pretty vague knowelge of the comic,only read one or two, but I really enjoyed the film. Best Comic book film since........Xmen 2!! Hellboy cracked me up, Ron Perlman was brillant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    released ages ago in america. only out in europe just now.

personnally i loved it, had a indiana jones feel to its characters
    espeicilly when he follows the girl on the rooftops
    i'd agree the girl was sh*t but the rest of the film was very enjoyable and in all fairness i cant think of any really good adventure action films this year. They've all been sorta flawed in my opinion (Riddick heavily edited, AVP cleaned up too much, Spider-man 2 far too similar to original.) So in all fairness i was happy with what i got in hellboy.

Yea I downloaded it of the net months ago thinking it was an old film or something. Couldnt believe it when I seen the adds for it on telly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Quite enjoyed it. Nice look to the movie and Hellboy's character was more refreshing than the gee-golly-whizz of other superhero franchises. Niles Fishface wasn't that interesting and FireGirl somewhat flat, but mostly it worked (particularly like the ClockworkMan).
    Apparently it's very very faithful to the source material so, if anything's weird, just blame the comic...
    I'd see the sequel based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LazStanaridis

"Hellboy cracked me up, Ron Perlman was brillant"

Why didn't they just get Ted Danson to do it and save on all the makeup???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I liked, I thought Hellboy was done well and the film just had a good feel to it although I feel the biggest letdown was the third act which seemed rushed otherwise a good film - 3/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Dissapointing. It wasn't true to the comic book and the story was flat. It was like they took X-Men etc. and stuck Hellboy in it; wasn't too dissimilar, felt like I had seen it all before. Still dislike the ol' CGI in these new films. One thing I liked was how badass Hellboy looked, but overall was dissapointing. Doesn't do justice to the comic book.

And what the hell (no pun intended) are they going to do with a sequel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I really enjoyed the film. Criticisms can easily be made, and I'd agree with a lot of them, especially about the film losing towards the end, but I think this is really down to the fact that when you've a baddie as downright amazing as Kroenen, kill him off and throw in a big CGI blob, you're making a mistake.

It was good indeed, and I'll be definetly looking out for the sequal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought it was really really terrible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I love it, had it one region 3 DVD for nearly 2 months now and i watch it every other week. Loved the Comics for a long time and i feel the movie was faithful to the comic in what i could. Hellboy looked the part, and the use of CGI wasnt Mad, I mean Samael Was a punter in a suit for 80% of his shots as was Abe. Del Toro is a massive massive fan of Hellboy and pushed for nearly 10 years to have this movie made. I feel he done it justice in the 2 hours he was given to introduce one of the weirdest groups of characters and storylines ever concieved.
    The fact that Mike Mignola (Creator) was heavily involved was a serious turn up for the books. He said himself that when he heard they were gonna make a movie he took the money and ran. but when Del Toro talked to him about it they decided to make the movie together.

Hellboy is not a superhero movie, it cannot be classed along with Xmen or Spiderman or whatever. This is a whole different genre of comic book movie. To me its more of a serious flick than a balls out explosions everywhere action movie.
    Its seriously well made, and the fact that after about 10 minutes you forget about hellboy being 7 foot Tall and Bright red with horns monster and just class him a a bloke proves that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Thought the end let the rest down, enjoyed it, and was looking for the end to tie everything together nicely, but it just seemed a bit anticlimactic.

I'd have preferred a straight out fight between Rasputin and Helboy tbh...
    Otherwise, quite a good entertaining flick.

The side-on shot of Hellboy in the grave with the snow falling was stunningly beautiful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i thought it was AMAZING "!"
    great story, great costumes, great action. What else do you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Placebo wrote:
    i thought it was AMAZING "!"
    great story, great costumes, great action. What else do you need.
    A decent ending would have been nice...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah it was good, the ending was fine cliche or whatever but it is a comic book if your looking for realism or anything dont watch them and dont complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

I liked it as well. As comic book heros go, way better than Batman (the one with Arnie as Mr Freeze), Daredevil and Spawn.

That Nazi invincible guy was deadly as well

Advertisement