Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web site comments please

Options
  • 07-09-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Had a few probs setting up this site. It's moving along slowly so far, but it's moving so thats the main thing ;)

Anywyas, ccan you have a look see at it and let me know what you think? It's just the basics at the mo and i've a collage planned for the whitespace in the top left.

here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Looks pretty good, however, remember that the majority of people in Ireland don't have broadband, and you've got lots and lots of graphics there to slow down the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Chunks wrote:
    Anywyas, ccan you have a look see at it and let me know what you think?

Honestly?
    Pretty poor. But, in fairness, its hard to judge until there is some content. Nothing much seems to have changed since your last thread on it.

You're trying to fill space for the sake of it, and its not good!! The site is just too plain/basic, to be taken seriously. The graphics are poorly done. Why is Home considered more important than Training. Why so much space given to an almost redundant navigational menu? The animated GIF is very ugly/choppy.

It is all just navigation at the moment, so maybe it'll be a lot better once you get content in there.

Sorry, if that's harsh.
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

cgarvey wrote:
    Honestly?
    Nothing much seems to have changed since your last thread on it.
    .cg

oh yeah, couldnt find that lil bast anywhere :)
    cgarvey wrote:
    Sorry, if that's harsh.
    .cg

No need to apologise, how else am i gunna learn? Cheers for the honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

You should really try to cut down on the images. For example instead of the three buttons, you could have that circle with the cutout as the background for each of those three cells, with the text centred horizontally and vertically in each cell. Use CSS to do your mouseovers instead of using seperate images. Same effect, one sixth the images. The same could be done with the circles on the left (use the large circle, specify smaller size for the others). The main logo is plain enough to be transferred into text styled with css.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Chunks wrote:
    Anywyas, ccan you have a look see at it and let me know what you think? It's just the basics at the mo and i've a collage planned for the whitespace in the top left.
    here

It looks like poo at 800*600 on my 19" CRT.

But I can't comment on the overall design 'cos I'm artistically retarded.

tribble

• Advertisement

How do you get it to scale to fit a system if its in 800x600 mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Chunks wrote:
    How do you get it to scale to fit a system if its in 800x600 mode?
    Handy extension "Web Developer" for FireFox allows you to resize browser, so that you can see what it'd look like at standard sizes.

.cg

i'm not familiar with that to be honest, could you tell me a bit more about it? Cheers mate, appreciate all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

Download FireFox - download
    Install extension - extension

Then click "Resize -> 800x600 or Custom size"

Cheers for those links talos, but is there any way of setting your site so that it recognises the resolution used by the user and thus makes sure that all components of the site are fully viewable in the chosen users resolution? i.e; everything fits onto the screen despite the resolution being 800x600 or 1024x768

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

Well, you will need to do some JavaScript.

For example your site built using tables,
    <table width="800" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

Try to reduce "width" value, until you will see all the content inside your window (after you resized to 800x600, your browser)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A lot of the time when you're specifying sizes you can use percentages instead, when you're using css positioning use relative instead of absolute. Try and think of it terms of say the left x% is for navigation, the right y% is for whatever and the middle for content.

You can get IE to resize to 800x600 if you want. Type "javascript:resizeTo(800,600)" then click on the whitespace just to the left of it (where an icon would usually be) and drag it to you "Links" toolbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

It's always a good idea to run it through the W3C's HTML Validator too. Helps to ensure that it'll work properly cross-browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

deadl0ck wrote:
    Looks pretty good, however, remember that the majority of people in Ireland don't have broadband, and you've got lots and lots of graphics there to slow down the site.

I don’t Got BB and it loaded fast for me.

You got Some Good ideas with the graphics, that isn’t too bad, but you got to get your priorities straight, The "Home" button Is Huge, Why? If products are what you’re trying to sell then make that button Huge.

Also the 3 buttons along the side are sloping on the page, It looks nice but what happens if you want to add another button along the side, dose everything just move over.

I think For a Design Like that to work it would need to have been designed From the start (NO Modification half way through).

Other than that you’re not doing to bad. ;)

Advertisement