Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to build my own Scart to S-video & 3.5mm audio cable

Options
  • 07-09-2004 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

I've been toying with the idea of hooking up my PC to the TV as a DivX player, and I already have all the kit I need, except for the cable of course.

The PC is upstairs, TV is in the living room downstairs. I'd guess I need about 10-15 meters of cable to do it, haven't measured yet.

I've done something similar before, but using lots of adapter cables, and would like to build my own cable this time with no adapters. The most logical choice is TV's SCART input, and on the PC side I have a S-video TV-output on the graphics card, and 3.5mm stereo audio output on the sound card (the mini headphones jack).

Does anyone know the pin-outs on these connectors?

I was gonna check out maplin for connectors and cables, but I'm not sure how to hook it up. I've only done cinch (phono jack) DIY cables before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Hi. I am in the process of sorting this out ie. PC -> TV. Although i won't be putting together my own adapter cable.
    I will be using an S-VHS to Composite (RCA) converter:
    28733i0.jpg
    Purchased from maplins for €8.50 today. The other two composites slot into the sound card via an adapter.
    Will then be attaching to a video sender = although the audio/video quality is better if you run a cable between the two.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with putting the adapter together yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Many thanks!

I was hoping to go down to Maplin and Peats yesterday but as luck would have it the day was too nice to be spent in town shopping. :)

I also figured out from these that Scart can't handle S-Video signal, so I'll stick with RCA connectors (composite) for video and audio. Also found a 3.5mm to 2-RCA stereo audio cable lying around so that takes care of it.

Had a look at Argos for the video sender (wireless A/V connection) but they're terribly expensive.. Around 120 euro..

So thank you again folks, and I'll drop by next week to tell you how it all went! Hopefully I won't burn anything in the meantime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Martin1974

If your TV can accept S-Video, why in the name of god, would you downgrade the quality to Composite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

I also figured out from these that Scart can't handle S-Video signal

i have an s-video cable plugged into a scart adapter and then into a scart socket on the back of my tv. the picture comes through in black and white (which is what should happen in composite video mode) but when i activate the s-video input on the menu of the tv it is in perfect colour and much better quality than composite video. you have to tell the tv its an s-vid signal coming through a scart socket. s-vid is miles better than composite vid. would it not be handier to get a dvd player that is compatable with divx and use that?

moe

• Advertisement
Advertisement