Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AvP and alien movies question(might have spoilers)

• 07-09-2004 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Avp happened before the aliens right?

when in alien they found the abendoned ship, and that's where everything started,

does that mean that predators got extinct? or maybe were wiped out by aliens?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes AvP is set basically in present day
    Alien is set in the future.

As regards Predators being extinct? what makes you think this?
    The giant alien in the ship in Alien is not a predator,

An Alien may have got loose somewhere and after all the aliens had to come from somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its really better if you try to think of AvP as a kind of alternate universe thing, and not part of the continuity of either series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Tbh theres no major plot holes in AvP, a few minor ones, but nothing really massive, as there are far more than 1 ship of Predator Im assuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

well if one alien could dismental 2 predators, easily!

then what would happen when millions of them would attack?

and weren't aliens made by predators? the ultimate pray?

aliens multiply like rabbits!

imo they could have easily destroyed predators!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

offically there is no origin to aliens.

But the comic adaptations have named them the avenging angels which wipe any species that advances too far out.

as far as i can figure out. Weyland corporations gets bought out after AVP becomes Weyland Yutani which bases one of its android lines on the original Weyland due to his (lacking in film) charming personality (see in film shot of magazine cover) Events of AVP are never found out. Flash forward to the time of alien aliens etc. The AVP timeline re-enters with the games/comics here following the predators in the future sending alien eggs (in a much more controlled fashion then the films idea) to remote planets and having controlled hunts. The main conflict with the entire AVP universe and the original aliens universe is Alien Resurrection.

for two reasons:

a) the simple answer every form of avp has allowed aliens to appear anywhere other then acheron (LV426 in Alien) In Alien Resurrection the military admit to not being able to find an alien anywhere after Ripley wiped them all out.

b) In AVP the storyline continues after alien 3. The humans know very well who the aliens and predators are and at one point (in the aliens comic line) earth is over-run by them. (Nightmare Asylum is an amazing story and should be read by all alien lovers)

Pugsly -there are huge plotholes in AVP which have been established by both series's.

-Predators hate the cold and only hunt during the heatwaves, you'd think they'd packed up and move the operation elsewhere.
    -They say the people 100 years ago were used as bait. Where were the bodies? How did the Predators get them down there? What about all the centuries before 1904? 1804 1704? Antartica had no one there at all. You'd think with 1000 failed hunts they would have moved the operation elsewhere?
    -The alien lifecycle, but i assume everyone knows the problems with that.
    -The alien attacking the predator while he had a egg in him? Alien3 showed that aliens dont attack impregenated people. Anderson (who wrote it aswell as directed it) said they attacked because it was against the alien way of life???? wtf? He could have gotten away with saying it was not a queen and the predator posed too much of a threat. But nooo he has to say something stupid instead.
    -then there's the fabled alien3 copup with Bishop showing up there alive when supposable he died X amount of years before hand.
    -Finally and this is more of a personnal hate. WHERE THE HELL! did that microwave gun that Lex pulls out near the end of the film? No mention of it at all during the film and then BANG! she picks it up and starts frying aliens with it.?.?

ok i admit they are only big if your a fan. And personnally i enjoyed the film enough to watch it again.

But i must say the alien warrior who kills the two predators was the best character in the film. My friends agree that out of all the characters this man in a costume/cgi was more lively and emotional then all the actors and Men in Predator suits. I've named him Scarface (after Al Pacino's character and because of his scare) and his sacrifice near the end of the film brought a tear to a alien fans heart. (note: according to the alien resurrection novilisation and making of. book, one of the aliens in that had a similar role in being the lead alien under the queen.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

one question, where the hell does alien have eyes?

they dont...again how aliens see has not been disclosed. Its one of the many appeals of the alien mythos that nothing is really ever explained (hence some fans hatred of avp for dumbing down and explaining everything)

theories on how aliens see focus around telepathy. Again novels and comics hint at this. One which was picked up on the AVP games was that aliens see by a telepathy which while it cant read our minds it can see them hence in the games Humans were blue, predators green and other aliens red. Supposable the more afraid you are the brighter you are for an alien (again not proven by films)

In Alien3 the fisheye view was brought in when the alien was chasing people, yet this hasnt really added anything as to how they see. The fisheye view remained for the first avp game (but added the see in the dark colour coding) but was removed for the second because it made it *difficult* to play.

BlitzKrieg wrote:

-Finally and this is more of a personnal hate. WHERE THE HELL! did that microwave gun that Lex pulls out near the end of the film? No mention of it at all during the film and then BANG! she picks it up and starts frying aliens with it.?.?
    While I agree with pretty much all the other points, while their not MAJOR plot holes (well possably apart from the alien life cycle, burst in a fewh ours? rather stupid). But what microwave gun? I cant remember any microwave gun........ infact after she dropped the desert eagle she never had another gun again? then again I may have just forgotten it, but I doubt I would forget her getting a gun....

The microwave gun appears just before the Queen when they are getting on the sled to escape the aliens, the predator gets jumped and is about to be killed when the female lead grabs this nearby microwave gun and blows the alien head open. There are no bullets just a big zzzzzzzzWHAM! and exploding alien head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Just watched it again and yeah whats the story with that Gun, some sort of weird gun and where the hell was it during the rest of the movie, typical movie cliche

She uses it just before they jump on the sled and go back up the tunnel.

Did anyone else feel they were watching Jurasic park with aliens instead of dinosaurs? you get a group of scientists/experts together. Take them to a remote location and staret killing them off one by one. Hmmmm???

• Advertisement

JP Mulvano wrote:
    Did anyone else feel they were watching Jurasic park with aliens instead of dinosaurs? you get a group of scientists/experts together. Take them to a remote location and staret killing them off one by one. Hmmmm???

Yeah it does feel like JP. but one flaw in your argument is that they dont kill them off one by one. They kill almost all of them in the space of 10minutes...which is poor balancing of the movie i feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

You get the general idea anyways.

Unbalanced is an understatement. They spent what 30 or 40 minutes introucing this big science team and then it was like right thats introductions done lets f-ing kill em all. They didnt even do anything apart from that italian dude.

the more I think about it the more I get angry about it, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! could have so good.

Maybe a Directors cut could flesh it out a bit? because it did seem very short, maybe it was just cut to bits when it was edited? well hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    -The alien attacking the predator while he had a egg in him? Alien3 showed that aliens dont attack impregenated people. Anderson (who wrote it aswell as directed it) said they attacked because it was against the alien way of life???? wtf? He could have gotten away with saying it was not a queen and the predator posed too much of a threat. But nooo he has to say something stupid instead.

LOL against the alien way of life :rolleyes: nice!
    In the end of Aliens 3 - the alien was fairly pissed and was going to kill Ripley so that kind of proves that teory wrong.

Bottom line piss an alien off and it attacks

And one more note.
    Not sure on this was one of my friends pointed it out. you know in Predator 2 when he is cleaning the skull,look at the skulls in the background,one looks very alien like??? ;) I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Not sure on this was one of my friends pointed it out. you know in Predator 2 when he is cleaning the skull,look at the skulls in the background,one looks very alien like??? I wonder

IT Was an Alien skull, this was when Fox were touting the idea way back when.

remake the film and have Ridley Scott direct, then it should rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Didnt think Aliens had skulls or bones thats why i threw it up,

anytime they die = Nice big hole in the floor ;)

Just thinking there. I is wrong aint I.In Alien Resurrection doesnt ripley shoot one in the mouth and there is a body or was i right twice and there is just a bit of a cock up on part of the movies

Advertisement