Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

War on television?

• 08-09-2004 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

is it just me or has anyone else noticed the alarming frequency at which the networks are pumping out pro american anti-terror programming?

today for example we have:-

Spooks - Net 2
    Line Of Fire - Net 2
    Threat Matrix - Net 2
    The Grid - BBC 2

and adding fuel to the fire we have a bond film on utv

i hope this isn't an attempt by the media to keep us "informed"

just my 2c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What in the name of Douglas Adams are you talking about?

Its called drama Jimmy, and yes it has been written to reflect the changes in the world since 9/11... But to suggest that its "pumping out pro american anti-terror programming" is about a credible as saying that The Man From U.N.C.L.E was an accurate portrayal of the Cold War...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'd have more of a problem with the "Surviving Terror" crap Sky 1 are pumping out.

Other than that I agree with doodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SeeYouJimmy

all im trying to say is, that when you turn on the TV, it seems as if everything is an ad for bush's bloody election campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

dunno flicked on to the threat matrix thing seemed a bit mad also flicked onto an espisode of i think it was the new ghosbusters( or that rescue group cartoon) where they were going to bagdhad to stop someone setting off a nuclear bomb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

is it just me or has anyone else noticed the alarming frequency at which the networks are pumping out pro american anti-terror programming?

today for example we have:-

Spooks - Net 2
    Line Of Fire - Net 2
    Threat Matrix - Net 2
    The Grid - BBC 2

and adding fuel to the fire we have a bond film on utv

Is George W. the next bond then?

From what little I remember of Spooks (crap show) the Americans are largely portrayed as incompetent muppets.

Line Of Fire is about the FBI fighting an organised crime syndicate and it was already cancelled in the US.

Threat Matrix is just incredibly stupid and has also been cancelled.

The Grid starred Dylan McDermott (from The Practice) the worlds most wooden actor so I really have no interest in it at all.

They are (mostly bad) dramas FFS, the only agenda is to make Warner Brothers/Disney/Sony more money. If you really want to see biased TV then I suggest you watch some US news broadcasts Fox news in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I put on The Grid last night, and for a few minutes I too was thinking like SeeYouJimmy was, but then I realised it was just a terrible programme and turned it off.
    The 'War on Terror' is the big story in America, where these shows are made, so the production companies will of course try to make money off of what the public are interested in. A lot of shows and films over the years had the bad guys/ terrorists as Russian and/or Communists but now they are Islams. It's just a convenient popular stereotype that the television companies can use to try and gain ratings.

Advertisement