Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to design a sleeve??

Options
  • 08-09-2004 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm very much into the idea of tattoo's being original. I want a sleeve on my left upper arm and despretley want to design it myself.

I've got a few photo's of the style i want but i just can't get my head around how to do the full thing. I guess its like drawing a colage(spelling).
    Somebody has to have some tips or pointers, please and thank you.
    An idea of the stlye is below

geishasleeve.jpg

brandon_arm.jpg

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

designing a sleeve is major work,make sure all the images fit together and ask your friendly tattoo artist for advice,id take a few weeks concentrating on the picture of your sleeve before seeking advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Thanks garth. One other question.

When designing a sleeve do you draw it out like a poster or do you have to take the shape of the arm into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Fungtank wrote:
    Thanks garth. One other question.

When designing a sleeve do you draw it out like a poster or do you have to take the shape of the arm into account?

Do it as a picture/poster. Let the tattoo artist have a look and ask them to work with that. The tattoo is still 99% original in my opinion. Jus tlike a post can sometimes get edited in boards ;). But seriously. Your not a tattoo artist so let them adapt it to your arm. You supply the concept, art and direct. They supply the skill to put it on your arm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What sort of stuff are you going to put in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

Blisterman wrote:
    What sort of stuff are you going to put in it?

I want a collage of some things. A bull, some flower, maybe a dragon. I've noticed that alot of sleeves are based around a central drawing. I dont really want that. The main thing is i want it to be really vibrant, lots of colour. I like the black backround and then blues, green, oranges on top of that.
    I had a design aspect in mind. Its a statue in copenhagen city square, of a bull fighting a dragon. Here i'll put up a photo of it.
    2-12.jpg
    copen132.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

around how much a sleeve cost I really like the look of them. be a few years prob before a i get a design finished and have to think about whether i really want something that striking and permanent but hell id love one now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

around how much a sleeve cost I really like the look of them. be a few years prob before a i get a design finished and have to think about whether i really want something that striking and permanent but hell id love one now!

It varies, you will be charged 80/100 euro an hour so there is no fixed cost, normally the artist will discount you if you are getting a large sleeve done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Fungtank

Have a look here http://darkimages.com and then look at the artist called Tim Kern for some inspiration
    Tough if you are on dial-up the site is heavy enough.

Advertisement