Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resizing problem

Options
  • 08-09-2004 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi, my apologies for my total lack of knowledge, i've been fumbling about with the aim of making a website of some sort of description for the past few weeks, it thusfar being the bastard child of text pad and dreamweaver.

I've been getting along alright sofar, but i've just discovered "layers" and at first glance they seem to be an extremely flexible tool in laying out pages in varing structures, however when I finish a page with layers included, the completed page has problems when it's resized or viewed at anything other than full expansion. The text and pictures outside of the layers will move to fit the browser size as usual but the layers remain rigidly fixed and go out of skew with the rest of the page.

Is there anyway to make layers resize along with the rest of the page as a whole and remain in synch? Or am I simply misusing the things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andersde10

if you're just learning to make websites then I'd just forget about layers for the moment (similarly please don't use frames), just stick to the basics and follow online turtorials - I find http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp useful.

If you really want to use layerws then perhaps attach your code so we can take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 phlebas

Heh yes, i'm afraid your suggestion came too late and i've already dabbled in the dark arts of frames, iframes at any rate.

Up until this point everything i've done has simply been text and images formatted to remain centred, which meant everything would just shrink to keep middled and solved any resizing problems (it did however mean pages didn't really hold a set shape and looked a little stretched when maximised). However layers hold a fixed position, so when mixed with unlayered centred text and images things get messy when the page is resized in a browser.

www.harlechhouse.com is what i've done sofar, the index page used to be in the same centred format as the rest of the site but I changed it and stuck it up to demonstrate what i'm aiming for, ideally when it's maximised you'd have the black borders equal on both sides, and when the windows shrunken it'd centre on the main and nested layer akin to http://home.eircom.net/email/ (I know I know thou shalt not speak of eircon), rather than what it's doing now and killing the righthand border while leaving the left whole. Any suggestions on how to eventually end up with that welcomed, i've only been at this about 3 weeks now so I know pretty much zilch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 phlebas

Belay that request and whatnot, thar be tables :)

Advertisement