Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carcass appreciation thread.

Options
  • 08-09-2004 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

To my horror, a search has revealed zero threads solely devoted to one of the greatest bands ever. The good lord has looked down upon me and ordered me to rectify that. Therefore, I urge you all to stop what you are doing right now and listen to some ****ing Carcass songs. If you don't own any of their albums, go to www.earache.com and buy them all. There's not much point in recommending one, because they are all masterpieces. If funds do not allow this, at the very least get "Choice Cuts", which is a greatest hits-type affair, and is a good introduction.

Those of us who are old and yet still very cool should also discuss the wonders that occurred on the night of November 7th 1994 (if my dates are incorrect, it is because of the afforementioned old age), when we were entertained in the Tivoli theater by mighty Carcass, supported by the woeful Cubanate. £7.50 for a ticket. Those were the days. For the price of a pint and 20 smokies, we got to spit on the worst band in the world, then see the best band in the world. Plus we could smoke whilst doing it. And get served alcohol regardless of age. The world has gone to ****e.

Someone needs to invent a time machine for the sole benefit of this thread.
    Thanks for listening.
    The end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I believe the search engine doesn't opperate on the pre VB3 transitions threads.
    Carcass, quality band. I read some interview, and it contained to be what i found a very funny joke, but most people hate me when i tell them, so i won't say it here for fear of being band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

You're being what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Carcass are indeed brilliant. i recommend them aswell to anyone that hasn't heard any of their songs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As for recommending albums, the best to recommend would be Heartwork, simply because it's slightly more melodic and accessible than the rest, my personal favourite, and that anyone who doesn't listen to much death metal/grindcore wouldn't know what one to get, and that'd be the best place to start. I recommend downloading the song, Heartwork, cos it's nuts and beautiful at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

what song is playing when you access www.earache.com its class!
    it doesnt sound like mortiis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Carcass are indeed an amazing band, but it's a pity I don't have as much of their stuff as I'd like. Very good band indeed, and it's always fun to knock out the auld Corporal Jigsore Quandry on the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

To my horror, a search has revealed zero threads solely devoted to one of the greatest bands ever. The good lord has looked down upon me and ordered me to rectify that. Therefore, I urge you all to stop what you are doing right now and listen to some ****ing Carcass songs. If you don't own any of their albums, go to www.earache.com and buy them all. There's not much point in recommending one, because they are all masterpieces. If funds do not allow this, at the very least get "Choice Cuts", which is a greatest hits-type affair, and is a good introduction.

Those of us who are old and yet still very cool should also discuss the wonders that occurred on the night of November 7th 1994 (if my dates are incorrect, it is because of the afforementioned old age), when we were entertained in the Tivoli theater by mighty Carcass, supported by the woeful Cubanate. £7.50 for a ticket. Those were the days. For the price of a pint and 20 smokies, we got to spit on the worst band in the world, then see the best band in the world. Plus we could smoke whilst doing it. And get served alcohol regardless of age. The world has gone to ****e.

Someone needs to invent a time machine for the sole benefit of this thread.
    Thanks for listening.
    The end.

hear hear, definately right, no questions asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

That was a classic gig, well with the exception of Cubanate :mad: I don't know what they were doing having them on the bill, it just didn't work. I was told that they'd received a few threats the previous night in belfast as well. That was probably just someone pissed though. Still it was a chance to get a few drinks in beore the main event.

Carcass were amazing, as you'd expect and had a great set that night. I can't rememer it exactly now though. We got to meet them outside afterwards as well and had a chat with them, they're sounds blokes. I think bill's the only one still involved in the music business, he's an amazin guitarist.

I can't believe it's almost 10 years ago though...

0utshined wrote:
    I think bill's the only one still involved in the music business, he's an amazin guitarist.

*Cough*Mike Amott*Cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

0utshined wrote:
    I think bill's the only one still involved in the music business

Michael Amott has been kicking ass with Arch Enemy, dont think Bill has been as active - or has he? Wasnt his last band Firebird?

• Advertisement

Firebird are still going, Ancient.

for some reason i thought he put that on hold...Didnt they play a gig in Dublin last year?

I think it might have been this year.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great band. I got off to a poor enough start with them. I bought Swansong which is probably their worst album. But then I bought Heartwork and was totally blown away. I definately recommend Heartwork to anyone that is into metal.

Am I the only one who thinks Swansong is massively under-rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I prefer it to Heartwork....

Ah, that was a bit of a stupid thing for me to say alright. I was thinking back to the gig and the final lineup with Carlos on second guitar. Mike Hickey is still knocking about as well, I found his site a few months ago.

Ancient1 wrote:
    for some reason i thought he put that on hold...Didnt they play a gig in Dublin last year? ]
    It was at the end of May/ Start of June this year in Whelan's. It was a great gig and only six euro! It's blues rock and very entertaining

No, I love it but it is very different to everything else. It was unexpected and I think that's why it got such a bad rap.

0utshined wrote:
    Mike Hickey is still knocking about as well, I found his site a few months ago.

What's he doing with himself these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Firebird played the High Stool in limerick around april/may this year and they kicked ass. I wasnt expecting it to be laid back, heavy 70s style blues, but it was brilliant.

Steer singing through a harmonica? Whoa!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ye swansong is very underated. heatwork is the masterpiece of course but Necroticism is excellent also. all the others before that suck tho.

• Advertisement

Heartwork, Swansong and Necroticism would be my favorites aswell, nesthead, but I'd hardly say the earlier stuff sucks.

Oh yes, anyone have the DVD, Wake Up And Smell The CARCASS!?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

no! they have a DVD?? where d'ya get it from??

www.play.com nesthead.

Pretty cheap, as I remember too.

What's he doing with himself these days?

I can't recall tbh. I think he had lessons on the site as well. I'm sure I bookmarked it so i'll try and have a trawl through them and get it.

I have the dvd too. Well, I have the vhs version that came out a while ago, I'd imagine it's the same though. It's damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Now that I think of it, that night in the Tivoli, I was in the gents having a piss, turned around and at the urinal next to me was a short guy with mad long dreadlocks....twas Jeff Walker! I was gonna ask for an autograph but he had his penis in his hand and stuff. Didn't wash either. :(

Also, I didn't realise there were so many cool Carcass heads here

You've gotta love carcass tbh, Tommy.

Speaking of which, anyone here ever listen to The Berzerker?
    Hardly the most original band on the planet, but it's absolute pure Carcass-worship, and their drummer is beyond phenominal. Good to listen to if you don't mind the over-distorted style and industrial tinged drum effects.

Can't say i've heard of them - cover band??

There was an interview with Bill in Terrorizer a couple of months ago, maybe a year ago - will try to find a link - it's basically his views on the Carcass split and why he decided to go on with Firebird. Good interview - it was great reading about one of the former "Gods of Grind" guys- he seemed so "mature" and different. Try and dig it up, definitely worth a read.

Yeah, I read that interview, wasn't that long ago either.

And no, The Berzerker are pretty original, but they're complete carcass-heads, pretty much the same style even. They do a pretty bad-ass version of Corporal Jigsore Quandry though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

its my favourite album, followed by heartwork.

Advertisement