Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

..:: How do you repeat the leaving? ::..

Options
  • 08-09-2004 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi I decided to repeat the leaving cert, I orignally got 320 in 2001, and now I want to do better.I just turned 20, and I spent 1 year in college, and the last year working. I mucked around, smoked and drank, partied my ass off, and I just woke up a few weeks ago and realised I dont want to be doing it anymore.

Im repeating Music / French / Irish All at honours level.

On the day of the exam, I took pass in French and Irish.I want a higher grade in music also.

I need to know whats on the Music Syllabus this year,and what novels to get for Irish ?I dropped down to pass in 6th year when the work got boring, Please, someone who knows their stuff write back and help me, I really want to do this so I can get a good leaving cert and then have options at theb end of the day,Im looking for a good job at the moment and everyone wants a qualification,and its tough knowing theres plenty of people out there with them, and your out of the run from the start.

I also dont know how to go about this, Do I have to register at some stage? Who do I tell I want to repeat? I have no answers, Im really lost.

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Go to whatever institution you want to repeat in for the year, like a grind school, or the school you did your first leaving cert in. You don't register until midway through the year. All you have to do now is start working. By the way you'll need to do at least 5 subjects if it's going to be worth your while. You can't combine subjects from different leaving certs for your points total. Your points can only be taken from one leaving cert year. However if you passed English, Irish, Maths or French/German last time around you don't have to do them again, you can take up subjects that interest you more instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

By the way you'll need to do at least 5 subjects if it's going to be worth your while. You can't combine subjects from different leaving certs for your points total. Your points can only be taken from one leaving cert year.

Are you sure of that?
    I didn't get into the course I wanted and the addmissions officer recommended I repeat maths at ordinary level (like a fool I did foundation despite being capable of pass) She made it out that I wouldn't need to repeat the rest to get enough points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

XCRichard wrote:
    Are you sure of that?
    I didn't get into the course I wanted and the addmissions officer recommended I repeat maths at ordinary level (like a fool I did foundation despite being capable of pass) She made it out that I wouldn't need to repeat the rest to get enough points.

Well, that would only work if the course was AQA (All Qualified Applicants) - and only if the reason you didn't get in was because you didn't pass maths. You'll never be guaranteed that the course will be AQA next year, so you'd be taking a major (stupid) gamble. If you're repeating because you needed points, then you'd need at *least* 5 subjects, like Discharger Snake said. 6, or even 7 would be the best option though - maximises your points AND matriculation potential. Even if you were only to do Music, French and Irish at higher level and then do another 3 ("easier") subjects at either ordinary or higher level. Don't even consider doing a foundation level subject - it's not worth anything to you, matriculation or points wise.

If you're going to a grinds school (not too sure how many offer music...) but a popular choice would be: French, Irish, Geography, Social & Scientific (has some home-ec elements... considered an "easy" subject), Business and Maths. All can be covered in a year (maybe not the new social course though...), but you'd need to get into an institution SOON.

Bah wrote:
    Well, that would only work if the course was AQA (All Qualified Applicants) - and only if the reason you didn't get in was because you didn't pass maths. You'll never be guaranteed that the course will be AQA next year, so you'd be taking a major (stupid) gamble. If you're repeating because you needed points, then you'd need at *least* 5 subjects, like Discharger Snake said. 6, or even 7 would be the best option though - maximises your points AND matriculation potential. Even if you were only to do Music, French and Irish at higher level and then do another 3 ("easier") subjects at either ordinary or higher level. Don't even consider doing a foundation level subject - it's not worth anything to you, matriculation or points wise.

If you're going to a grinds school (not too sure how many offer music...) but a popular choice would be: French, Irish, Geography, Social & Scientific (has some home-ec elements... considered an "easy" subject), Business and Maths. All can be covered in a year (maybe not the new social course though...), but you'd need to get into an institution SOON.

I did my leaving in 2002 and then went on to do a 2 year college course. Now I've more or less figured out what I want to do after having no idea in 6th year (and putting feck all effort into the leaving)
    I'm about 60 points short of what the course (interactive multimedia in ITT) requires plus I need pass maths. The course I completed was similar to Inter. Media but the head of the dept. didn't consider my results to be good enough.
    It's been 2 years since I did my leaving so it'd be a balls going back now since the leaving is a 2 (or even 3) year process.
    Can't see myself having much chance of improving things the way it's looking.

Trying that mature student sh*t seems the only option remaining if I want to do this course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

XCRichard wrote:
    I did my leaving in 2002...Trying that mature student sh*t seems the only option remaining if I want to do this course.

Most of my last post was really dealing with Peewee_lane's original post... since you've gone on to do another course (and gotten a certificate/diploma?) your situation is probably different. Although, if you're nearly 23 then I woulnd't dismiss the mature student thing - you're practically guaranteed to get the grant and better chances of an offer.

• Advertisement

Bah wrote:
    Most of my last post was really dealing with Peewee_lane's original post... since you've gone on to do another course (and gotten a certificate/diploma?) your situation is probably different. Although, if you're nearly 23 then I woulnd't dismiss the mature student thing - you're practically guaranteed to get the grant and better chances of an offer.

A diploma in something or other computery. Haven't received it yet. It is only a Fetac certification I might add.
    Only 20 yet so it's a long time to hang on for. They'll probaby have dropped the course by the time I'm 23!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A friend of mine repeated the Leaving at 20, she wanted to do law but didn't get the points first time. She did a year in college before repeating the LC. She got the points on a recheck last year, but only found out after the course had been on for 5 weeks. So she deferred the place until this year. Now she's starting 1st law next week at the age of 22. I'll have my degree at that stage...
    So you're never too old to go back. There was an article in one of the papers back in august about a 24 year old with an arts degree who repeated the LC to get into medicine and she wound up with 600 points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

XCRichard wrote:
    It's been 2 years since I did my leaving so it'd be a balls going back now since the leaving is a 2 (or even 3) year process.
    So you're never too old to go back.

I'm 25 years of age. My leaving cert was in '98 and for idiot reasons of my own I never got to sit the exam.
    On friday morning I will start a repeat leaving cert class after a six year absences.(thats longer than I spent in secondary in the first place!!)
    I am a world away from the best student infact I might just scrape average! However I want to take this exam and do the best i can in it.

Now if i can take that on why couldn't you try it too? Or a better question would be, is 9/10 months of hard work worth it if it means you get to do the course you want to the following year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

[QUOTE=

Now if i can take that on why couldn't you try it too? Or a better question would be, is 9/10 months of hard work worth it if it means you get to do the course you want to the following year?[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that means alot! I originally thought I could just repeat a few subjects but now let me get this straight. If I want to do a degree(which I do) I cant add on, and I must repeat all. Thats very interesting folks. Youve just helped me alot. I was hopping around thinking Id have a great time with just three and now, Im a little lost again, ****...one year to do it all again and its already september.

The reason I cant go to an institute to repeat is because I cant afford it.I couldnt afford to keep myself in the degree when I was doing it, and now Im contemplating having to leave my full time job in the next 2weeks to pave the way to be able to attend some sort of repeat classes in the evening. Part time jobs here I come, and it keeps getting harder. Money shouldnt be the reason Ive to cop out of an education, but it is unfourtunetly.But I wont let it! Il work the system like it works me! Yar!

Im looking forward to the challenge again. Thanks to all who replied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Theres a school in Rathmines that caters for repeat students, its only something around 70euro for the year and the time table is very nice, maily around 10am - 2pm from what I hear from friends in there so theres time for study and part time work.
    I'm not too sure what the name is though, It's two weeks into term so if you're going to repeat you should register quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

go to the uk and do G.C.S.E's they are easier and more easy reconised across the globe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

He said the reason he couldn't go to an institute was because he couldn't afford it so I think that moving to the UK would not be an option somehow.
    You know it helps if you read others posts before posting.

Advertisement