Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a board....

Options
  • 08-09-2004 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Requirements:
    • 1-2+ PCI slots or 1-2+ wireless adapters with jacks for external antennas
    • 1 or more 10/100+ Ethernet jacks
    • 1, preferably 2 RS-232 (serial) jacks
    • IDE controller//CF adapter, floppy controller not really needed
    • Low power dissipation CPU, computational power something in the region of P200 MMX - PII 450, more if possible. Low power (wattage) is essential. Variable clock-speed could also help.
      Doesn't have to be x86, just so long as I can get a GNU Linux kernel running on it, though ideally it would be supported by Debian. *BSD is also an option.
    • SD or DDR ram, DIMM or SODIMM. - anyone know which is the lower power usage? SD I'd assume?
      Christ, even EDO Simms would be fine :)
    • Runs off 12V (or similar) DC supply
    • is all nice and compact
    I'd like the entire thing to be running at maybe 20W max, though that is just a rough guess.
    I've to see how much power I can make available.

This box will be doing a fair bit of work, ie routing, monitoring, snmp, web-server etc.

If people could even point me in the direction of possible sources for this sort of hardware I'd be much oblidged. I'm just trying to get some pointers before I go googling and end up with a butt-load of ads for multi €€€ embedded systems far above what I'm looking for.
    Price is also an issue.
    I've an extremely tight budget for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm having trouble finding SBCs or small form-factor boards that have more than one PCI Slot.

I'm not 100%, but is it possible to literally slap in a bog-standard 1-to-2 PCI riser and slot 2 cards into that?
    I'd assume there'd be a bit of bother with INT lines and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

The first thing that would come to my mind is a mini-itx mobo- via do a whole range of Epia boards for this. They are 15x15cm or 17x17cm boards, with one 10/100 ethernet port , sound, vga, tv-out, usb and one pci-slot that does take a riser card allowing for two pci-cards. They all come with a rs-232 serial port, and the me-6000 (600mhz fanless processor) has a header for a second. Some of the slightly more expensive models do have compact flash and pc-card slots too.

I don't know how much you are wanting to spend, but they start at about €95 for the 533mhz. The 12v power supply is a bit extra though. You may well have come across them already, but seeing as there aren't any replies here, this is my 2 cent!

A good link is the british site (Full european shipping) www.mini-itx.com or for a quick at a glance guide to the specs of the different boards, see this site

Spaczed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had considered the mini-ITX boxen.
    Hadn't checked the price though.

It'll probbaly be what I end up getting.

Advertisement