Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amocom Wireless In Cork?

• 08-09-2004 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Anybody out there have experience in using Amocom wireless broadband in Cork lately? I don't know of anybody using them, and was wondering if anybody had comments on them, good or bad... I have searched for posts on them on here, but they're all over a year old. I'm moving soon and there's no way I'm getting an eircom phone line in, so it's them or IBB, and I've read plenty of people saying how crap ripwave is. So I dunno... Worth a try or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

... and now Digiweb in Cork too :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Thanks, but they're a bit more expensive than Amocom and they have a cap on both 512k packages. Their 1Mb is a good price but a bit more than I need at the minute. Decisions, decisions...

ehhm, not sure .... Amocom setup €149 compared to Digiweb €79. 512k service fee Amocom 35 plus VAT (=42.35 per month) and payable 6 months in advance on this service level (compared to 39.00 incl vat and payable monthly with Digiweb).

Anyway, a variety of services from different providers - hopefully something to meet everyones requirements along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Is that dsl or wireless, ceepee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I see Ceepee did not mention his VSAT service which is ALSO available in Cork for about €120 a month and for only €1500 install for ....emmmmmmm 512/128 IIRC lest one confuse services and platforms any further like :D

M

• Advertisement

thanks Muck, I forgot that option :-) unlike you to promote the substantial merits of VSAT technology, but most welcome ;-)

the pricing comparison in the previous msg was all for wireless.

I Didnt know till now that Digiweb were offering Wireless south of the Galway - Dublin line, please do elaborate for us !

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

don't get the ripwave then, get the 'breeze light' package (1M down/up 48€), looks good ... :/

Would I be right in thinking that the digiweb wireless services in cork run over unlicensed spectrum? (Digiweb don't appear to hold 3.5ghz spectrum down there anyway..)

so does IBB ...and they have spectrum.

M

• Advertisement

I'm not incriminating anyone, I just think it would be useful to know.

Umm, yeah. Anyway, getting back to Amocom... So nobody has any experience of using them? Their installation fee is fair enough - they put up an external antenna for you. And the six months subs up front on the 512 package doesn't bother me either, as long as the service isn't a load of old pants, which is what I'm trying to find out.

And I don't really want a capped service from some other company, when I can an uncapped service for in or around the same money...

parasite wrote:
    don't get the ripwave then, get the 'breeze light' package (1M down/up 48€), looks good ... :/

What's the difference between ripwave and breeze? Am I right in saying breeze is more like what Amocom is offering, ie. external antenna and similar frequency? Cheers

yep - we hold a fully paid and approved 3.5GHz licence for Cork, and unlike some we could mention we tend to only make annoucements when we're set and in position to deliver service (http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9550984) sorry ... couldn't resist :-)

All Digiweb services in Cork are over licensed 3.5GHz spectrum

watch out for some further announcements south of the Dublin-Galway line in the next week or two ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've posted about Amocom here in the past, search for it with my handle in the username field. If the admins have indexed yet that is. If not, tell them to. :)

adam

Cheers dahamsta. Will do.

Parasite, according to the IBB site, breeze seems to only be available in Dublin. Is that right?

I don't suppose digiweb hold a 3.5ghz licence for limerick/galway?

The maps that comreg published last year for licence spread appear to be well out of date :/ Don't suppose you know off hand if they've published up to date ones anywhere (had a look and couldn't find zip)?

Moriarty - for the time being, Limerick and Galway are unfortunately left to the delicate mercies of the other WISPs for licensed frequency services delivery, however we do have licence-exempt plans afoot which should prove interesting.

We would wish to offer licensed frequency services in those locations just as soon as possible, and as soon as the regulator deems it appropriate to grant a license :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

ChipZilla wrote:
    What's the difference between ripwave and breeze? Am I right in saying breeze is more like what Amocom is offering, ie. external antenna and similar frequency? Cheers
    Ripwave is a non-line-of-sight technology, that doesn't require an external antenna, whereas HomeBreeze is line of sight, and requires a fixed antenna, usually installed on your roof.

HomeBreeze would be similiar to the Amocom service. Performance is better with these Line-of-Sight services, when they work, but for people who can't install an antenna, Ripwave might be a suitable alternative. It has fairly high latency, so it's probably not suitable for serious gamers.

(Of course, now that you've put me on your ignore list, you won't get to read this, will you?)

Oh cruel fate..

:D

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:
    I don't suppose digiweb hold a 3.5ghz licence for limerick/galway?

Not yet but given the glacially slow rollouts in those towns and in Waterford it is not certain that the current licencees will not have their licences pulled for reallocation in early 2005. Digiweb did not initially get a licence in Cork IIRC . I think they got the spectrum that those tossers in Chorus were offered and refused.

M

Advertisement