Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Camera

Options
  • 08-09-2004 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone.

Im looking for advice.

I have a robot car. It does stuff. But I want to show what it does to everyone on a webpage. I want some sort of camera to show the car in real time if possible. I have broadband. I have an apache web-server running on XP. Some Ideas:

(1) TV Card: Is it possible to stream a picture(RCA I/P) from a TV card over the internet? What is quality? What make would you reccommend for XP?

(2)Webcam- Can a webcam show real time video?. At least very fast refreshing of less than 2 seconds?

(3)Digital Camera or Camcorder? How would this be done?

(4)Other?

Thanks for any advice! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

This might help you.
    Wireless camera

It can transmit directly to your network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mishmash

Take a look at this the range of Wireless Cameras, there are reviews of many of them. Looks like lots of choice depending on your reqirements in terms of weight, cost, and quality....

If you're car is moving, your users might appriciate one of these

Will we be able to drive the car from a webpage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Thanks for those links. I will look at them now.

Yes the plan is to be able to control this car from the webpage. You will be able to move it, view it and also select some other functions like automonous obstacle avoidance and possible even speech recognition over the internet. Also some information will be sent from the car to the web user. The camera part is quit tricky though as its not something Im really into to. The car and webserver are connected via an RF link. I can get a camera that transmits a picture from the car back to the TV card but Im not sure about TV card quality and also if it's possible to play this on the web in real time.

Thanks for your help and any more is more than welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mishmash

http://www.subservientchicken.com/ (I'm sorry for advertising BK) might give you ideas for a totally different approach to the task ;)

http://www.webshop-ireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

What about the possibility of steaming a webcam live picture across the net.? Can this be done in real time? Also if I call metafresh=0 seconds, will this refresh my webcam picture constantly thus providing live picture?

Also can VideoLan be used to stream a webcam picture? Thanks again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement