Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Aer Lingus really a low fares airline?

• 08-09-2004 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

I know Aer Lingus has been discussed quite a bit here but do people really think that they are a low fares airline as opposed to a no frills airline?

Based on my personal experience I have to say they are far from low fare. Last Christmas I flew from Vienna - Dublin return (One leg with food, ie before/during all this low fare, no frills (misleading) advertising) for 180ish€. This year they want about 250€ for the priviledge!

I also priced them in August and they were ridiculously expensive. I can actually get Ryanair from Linz - Stanstead - Dublin for the same price. Plus then I also save my trainfare to Vienna.

Before anyone starts blaming fuel costs remember that we are talking about 70€ per person on the plane here. At this time of year the flight will be full too.

Comments/Experiences anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I think they are low fares. I am travelling weekly to Munich and before they went low fares it was about €440 a flight every week (economy as the company doesn't do business). Since it has been as low as €170. The fares in August have been higher - around €330-€360 for the reason that the flights are full. Like any other low fares carrier they jack them up when things are busy.

As for the UK being cheaper to the US there is much greater capacity and demand so it's allways been cheaper to go from Heathrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

sliabh wrote:
    I think they are low fares. I am travelling weekly to Munich and before they went low fares it was about €440 a flight every week (economy as the company doesn't do business). Since it has been as low as €170. The fares in August have been higher - around €330-€360 for the reason that the flights are full. Like any other low fares carrier they jack them up when things are busy.
    Well I travelled using Munich back during one of their strikes (May 2002 iirc) and the return flight cost me around 200€ so you must have been booking it very late if it cost 440! I also check for Munich every time I think the Vienna flight is too expensive and it's always been a similar price to the Vienna flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

well I'm flyin to Munich with 'em for €120 return and taxes through Munich are quite high, higher than Dublin at any rate. I consider that an excellebt fare. Yes, the ticket was purchased during their last sale promotion. A friend is flying in October on a ticket bought during the current sale and he's paying €115. I say that's a great fare for any 2 hour flight. Remember that's under IR£100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Imposter wrote:

I also priced them in August and they were ridiculously expensive. I can actually get Ryanair from Linz - Stanstead - Dublin for the same price. Plus then I also save my trainfare to Vienna.

And whats the layover in Stansted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Why is Aer Lingus still so expensive on a one-way flight? I was looking at Amterdam-Dublin end of October. One way it's 180 euros inc tax. The same flight booked as a return coming back early November is 100 euros in total, so 50 euro each way!!! So it's actually cheaper to book a dummie return and not use the return portion of the ticket! For a ''low fares'' airline that's a crazy situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

And whats the layover in Stansted?
    2 1/2 hours going out and 4 hours coming back (or 1 hour if I was really brave!).
    The four hour stopover is a bit long but I leave my flat 2 hours before the flight from linz or 6 hours before flight from Vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I've an all day meeting tomorrow in Rome.

Aer Lingus wanted €503 return - no food, no frills

Alitalia €380 or thereabouts - a full service airline

Ryanair via Chareloi €250 - it's a bus.... with wings

As both AL and Alitalia fly in the middle of the day at I'd spend most of the working day in the airport.

So I've a later flight to Chareloi this afternoon, spend the night there and an early flight to Rome in the morning. No worries. And the money the company saves will be paying for me faffing around the Colliseum on Saturday before home on Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Imposter wrote:
    (or 1 hour if I was really brave!).

Better believe it. You'd be lucky to clear security in an hour, never mind accounting for any delays on the flight into Stansted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I was looking for a Dublin-Birmingham flight about 4 months ago, out and back same day, Ryanair was over €420, AerLingus was under €200. For timing reasons I had to take the Ryanair one.

Aer Lingus are moving in the right direction, but remember that low fares airline doesn't = "cheap tickets always". If their demand expectation predicts a full flight at any price, they will still be happy to screw you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement