Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

battery charger size matters?

Options
  • 08-09-2004 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I purchased a battery charger for E30 after having starting problems.Just took the first one on the shelf.
    Now I see on the packaging they have a different model depending on the size of car engine.
    I supposed a smaller battery would charge quicker than a large one but any charger would charge any battery.Was I wrong does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You haven't given enough info for a definitive answer, but you are more or less right. Unless you have a very big diesel, the charger you bought will do, but might take a long time to recover a very flat battery. What type of car do you have and what is the rating of the charger (Amp/hours)?

There should be a fuse on the charger (10-15 amp) and if your battery causes this to blow, you need to exchange the charger for a more powerful unit. Or the battery is goosed!!!

Make sure to open the vent caps of the battery and ensure plenty of ventilation, preferably charge it outside with the bonnet down.

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

car is 1.6 but need it for tractor battery too.amps=2.7.
    looks like an exchange job.

Advertisement