Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United can match Madrid - Queiroz

• 08-09-2004 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Carlos Queiroz claims that Wayne Rooney's arrival at Old Trafford puts Manchester United on a par with Real Madrid.

Queiroz rejoined United this summer as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant after being fired as head coach of the Spanish side and he believes there is now nothing between the two sides.

He told Spanish newspaper Marca: "We are very excited by his signing because we now have four world class strikers.

"With Rooney, [Ruud] van Nistelrooy, [Louis] Saha and [Alan] Smith we have no reason to envy Real.

"There is no denying Madrid's strikers are some of the best in the world. Our forwards are different but they are footballers of inspiration and talent who can play at a high level.

"We have built a young and talented team. It is balanced and we have placed the foundations for the next 10 years.

"My main objective is to help make United the best team in the world.''

From teamtalk

Strikers are obviously very important, but so too are the midfield, your defence and your keepers. Uniteds success during the 90's was built on their midfield, imho Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Beckham were all in the top 10 midifielders in europe at the time, and they easily had the best midfield line-up, but not anymore. They are now behind arsenal, chelsea and dare i say it, liverpool in that department.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well, they certainly matched them last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

In a season that madrid finished 4th in la liga?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In terms of quality. Not league position, methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

he's right but i dunno if thats a complement.

i dont rate madrid anymore, their big stars are too old and are playing in the comfort zone on huge wages. owen wasnt a sensible signing, although utd did the same with rooney.

raul isnt the same of old and figo is inconsistent plus they have no quality young players coming through and their 'sack on a loss' attitude leaves the side without consistency and stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Placing all this focus on the strikers isn't good. Sure having four really good strikers is nice but I'd far rather have four really good players in midfield. The current Madrid team at their best were based on having a brilliant creative midfield. The current United side were at their best when they had the passing and balance of the "Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Beckham" midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

They are now behind arsenal, chelsea and dare i say it, liverpool in that department.

Maybe behind Arsenal and Chelsea now but no chance Liverpool! Liverpools midfield without Gerrard is useless! he is carrying them for the last 2 seasons! Houllier and now Benitez have moved Gerrard all over the midfield to try and accomodate average players! will be lucky if he is still at Liverpool by the start of next season! seemed well pi**ed at da Bolton game!!

Back 2 da point! Utd have a better chance of winning da Champions League this season than Real....it will be there last big push before the great hang up there boots(Keane, Giggs and Fergie).....and wit that strike force they cud hammer anyone.....Ferdinand back in da centre and Heinze at left back...not a bad team

Liverpools midfield this season:

Kewell - Alonso - Gerrard - Garcia

Whats united first choice 4?

Giggs(?) - Scholes(?) - Keane(??) - Ronaldo

Liverpools midfield this season:

Kewell - Alonso - Gerrard - Garcia

Whats united first choice 4?

Giggs(?) - Scholes(?) - Keane(??) - Ronaldo

Will prob be a 4-5-1 formation for Liverpool this season! similar to what they played against Bolton! also Alonso and Garcia are playing there first season in PL so will prob struggle

Kewell has been brutal for the past 2 season and everything that I have seen of him this season seems to point to another crap season! living on his reputation at this point!! wud be worried if I was a Liverpool supporter! lucky to get into Europe for next season but then you will see Alonso shine!!

Giggs: still on his day one of the most exciting players in da world! Henize will help him out now! Left side will look more balanced!
    Scholes: wat question mark for? one of the best midfielders in the world! didnt happen for England because as Keane saying was playing with average players!
    Keane: still motivates the players around him better than any other player in PL! legs might not be wat they used to be but Djemba Djemba is starting to get a run of form which will help Keane!
    Ronaldo: Class! starting to show wat the Utd trainers can do for young players! a season ago he cudnt cross the ball! now can cross the ball as good as anyone! even better than Giggs!

Your a united supporter so?

Im a liverpool supporter.

We will never agree on this!

but im still right

Utd supporter!! r u taking the pi**!! just making a point that I think Utd Midfield is better than Liverpool!! I am a proud Owl......if you dont know wat that mean I a supporter of Shef Wed.....woe is me!! better win League 1 tis season!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Has anyone of ye seen heinze play
    He is rubbish
    His positional sense is atrocious
    I think utd just like buying players from france who have the worst disciplinary record i.e djemba djemba

Has anyone of ye seen heinze play
    He is rubbish
    His positional sense is atrocious
    I think utd just like buying players from france who have the worst disciplinary record i.e djemba djemba

Did you watch him in the Olmypics? was one of the best players there!

Advertisement