Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Passport

• 08-09-2004 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

After having my passport stolen in Hungary I spent €75 getting a new ten year one. I was issued a 6 month one and after that I would gewt a passport for the remainder of the ten years. Now after ringing the passport office here in Ireland they tell me I should not have paid as there is some new rule brough in since March and I have to pay for it again. What a bunch of spas. Cant ring Hungary as they are closed right now so have to wait till the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

IANAL and my memory is sketchy on this but...

I think the following used to be the case:

The first time you lost your passport you could just re-apply (new application, not a replacement) for a new one and get it as normal.

The second time you had to pay full whack for a one year passport and subsequently pay again for a full passport.

Obviously this may have changed a lot in recent years due to the percieved problem of asylum seekers and Michael 'Shrek' McDowell's liking for legal tweaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I was under the impression that you were (fined/made to pay extra for next one/whatever) a few hundred euro for losing your passport, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

When I applied in Hungary I needed a full passport as I wasn't just travelling home. I applied for a ten year one and paid for it, was given a six month one and told that when I applied for the full one after six months I just had to show them my receipt that I had already paid in full. The guy here in Ireland said the rules had changed. I'm not sure if he's right, he didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about and had to ask someone else each time I asked him a different question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You are given a 10 year passport. However they normally have it set to 6-12 months for the first.

When you bring the passport in after it expires they generally just stamp it.

I lost my first passport many years ago (got it when I was 16, lost it when I was around 20). They gave me a replacement for 12 months, then I brought it back in and they stamped it for 5 years then another 5 years. After that I got a new one as that one was in tatters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I lost my passport. You dont have to pay for it, all you have to pay for is the passport photos and the postage. However, if you loose your second passport, they will quiet literally, **** you in the ass. And will not issue you with a new one. Also getting visa etc will be impossible.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement