Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss -v- Ireland

• 08-09-2004 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Team announced:

________________Given_____________________

Carr_____O'Brien_____Cunningham_____Finnan

Reid______Keane______Kilbane______Duffer

___________Keane_____Morrison____________

I'll go for a 3-1 win to the Irish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Duff stays on the wing shocker!

I think the Swiss will score. Ireland by the odd goal

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

why wasn't keane palying in last match hactually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This is really going to be too close to call. But I'm going to call it anyway, with Ireland to win 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

2-0 to the republic :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

KO 7:30.....come on lads,cans in curry on the way top night in store I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

why wasn't keane palying in last match hactually?

he wasnt fully fit, needed a bit more time to recover. plus it was cyprus, kerr even hinted a few days ago he wasnt bothered about keane being available for the 1st match.

swiss away is the big 1 and the main thing is he's back. glad to see morrison keep his place, he might not be the best in the world but his work rate would put others to shame. always gives 100% and more of a threat than doherty overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thats a good side. Bit harsh to drop Kavanagh, but once Keane was back in the fold, it was inevitable.

Hopefully, Reid and the Duffman ( oh yeah! ) can produce the goods again, and Robbie Keane plays much better.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I predict Duff will make Haas look silly. Along with the other five players they put on him to try and mark him out of the game.

A.Reid should be able to do the same tbh

Also, it is currently 0-0 in the Israel Cyprus game, nearly half time.

• Advertisement

1-0 to ireland Morrison header

wonder what there putting in Morrison water ;)

Bling Bling!!

WTF was Keane at there.....

Given is earning his bread tonight, two class saves.

Wtf is going on if it wasnt for given we be ****ed

1-1

cant say that wasnt comeing

That was a soft bleedin goal, like a knife through butter.

How bad is that grinning tosser Carr? Its been the goalies show so far.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    grinning tosser
    Nice!!

Keane shouldn't have been booked IMO.

I think these are there for the beating, just need to keep it a bit tighter in the second half.

Other scores of interest

Poland 0-1 England ( Defoe ) HT
    Wales 0-1 Norn Iron ( a player off each, Savage and Hughes goal from Whitley ) 25 mins
    Israel 1-1 Cyprus 79mins
    Holland 1-0 Czech ( van Hooijdonk ) HT

If we start playing well we can beat these guys their defence is pritty bad

Slightly OT - France only put 2 past the Faros! Israel have taken the lead against Cyprus.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Kilbane gave that goal away as he passed it to the swiss player(Yakin I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We have been awful at times, really disappointed with Carr/Reid/both Keanes.

After our goal we switched off and allowed the Swiss to completely dictate the pace, jaysus we made them look like Arsenal by being so bad ourselves!

How many fouls will that prat Yakin be allowed get away with?

MOTM so far anyone?

Carr better watch his ass or he'll get a red in no-time.

MOTM? Given, without a shadow of a doubt.

When the f*ck are RTE going to sort out their out of synch commentary?

Israel are 2-1 against Cyprus.

Get Carr off the pitch and move Finnan to RB. Then Maybury on at LB.

England are 2-1 up by the way, Mickey Owen.

And Northern Ireland lead 2-1 against Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

andyman wrote:
    MOTM so far anyone?

Duffers for us so far IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

AH FFS we are trying to walk the ball into the net.

• Advertisement

this is pritty awful tbh

How many fouls will that prat Yakin be allowed get away with?

Not many, finally booked the git. :D

An atrocious match topped by an appearance by the Ginger Pele...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This swis team got to Euro 2004 and didn't get 1 point out of 3 games!!!! :rolleyes: and were bloody making them look good :o

For FFS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dreadful performance against a very average side.

Thank Jebus thats over...

That match was there for the winning, and we bottled it as far as I'm concerned. Steven Carr had better start playing soon and stop trying to live off his reputation from five years ago, he is suspect defensively and shows no interest in going forward.

I though Roy Keane was poor for most of the first half, but he's just back from injury (anyone feel a match too early?) so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reid was totally out of the game, but then he wasn't helped by the player behind him, was he?

Duff and Given were great, deserved better for their performances.

Robbie Keane is a whinging little sh*tbag, did you see him p*ssing and moaning when Morrison got on with his job and scored in the 1st half?

Ah jaysus, I give up. Muck, total muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OMG wtf was that. We should have won if only they actually played. Thats 2 points dropped badly. Given was the only player that came out of that with honour. I haven't cursed so much during an Irish game in years !!!!!! What a waste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

this was a poor display from ireland apart from the performances of Duff, who really worked hard imo, and played well, as well as Given who kept goal superbly.

Robie Keane was horrible, it looked like he was trying to dive the whole time and get a free than to try and score a goal. He did have one really good chance but failed to control the ball, that being said there was atleast one dodgy off side decision against him.

The same goes for the rest of the players, who in my view didn't really make an effort, you could see loads of times the ball in the swiss half and maybe 3 white shirts in the entire half, no support whatsoever from midfield/defence. A poor performance all around, and a game i feel we should have won with a bit more effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

That was a complete load of fúcking cock.

Considered opinion later. Perhaps. If I'm not too pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TIPPTOP wrote:
    This swis team got to Euro 2004 and didn't get 1 point out of 3 games!!!! :rolleyes: and were bloody making them look good :o

For FFS!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Swiss drew their first match with Croatia, were all over England for 60 minutes until Haas got sent off and held France for 75 minutes. Who the fúck started this saying the Swiss were crap at Euro 2004?

For those saying we should have won, only for the linesman it would have been 2-1. Keane scored a volley which was onside and because all the Swiss defenders stopped it looked like he was offside as he was so far ahead. He was also called offside on another occasion when again he was onside and one on one with the keeper.

We have not beaten a half decent team away from home in competition since 1987 when we beat Scotland. I would have certainly took a point if asked before the match so I'm happy. If this was on neutral ground we would all have reason to be disappointed but we are no better than Forest Green when playing away from home. If we needed to win we would have tried but we settled for the draw which was best.

The only person I'm disappointed with is the linesman.

On the match, Given was certainly MOM with Duff the best outfield player. The defense was very slow, Finnan played well. Roy and Kilbane weren't the best. Reid was good on the ball but wasn't given much of it. Morrison was 3rd for MOM and Keane played better than Cyprus.

poor result and performance. 1-1 will do but its not great.

kerr played suicidle tactics after we scored, just sitting back until they eventually scored despite several warnings. it was a disgraceful way to play and i hate the way we do it all the time. ultimately it probably cost us 2 points and more importantly would have put us 3 ahead of the swiss.

carr was rubbish, so was reid and keane (robbie). finnan, morisson were little better. roy keane did alright so did kilbane and duff. given solid as usual.

we didnt create enough space and therefore played ring a rosey in our own half between carr, finnan, the 2 cbs and given, often ending up in swiss throws or corners.

we were unlucky though with a few offsides that were actually on. excellent finish by keane with a lob volley, bet if he'd been onside he would have skied it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Dreadfull, completly crap, we were all over the place against a crap side.

Roy Keane - err old man, those days of lifting the entire team seem well gone.
    Carr- Crap, useless, talk about getting into trouble with crap passes,
    Finnan - dodgy at the back,
    Reid - go loose some weight, cant compete at this level
    Robbie Keane - was he there on the pitch??

Kerr's tatics where highly questionable, too much space given away and never closed down the swiss. The Jollyrodger is not jolly one bit at watching that :(:(

Its just as well RTE has no six-o-six type phone in after matches! (why does'nt RTE have a phone in after matches?)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Its just as well RTE has no six-o-six type phone in after matches! (why does'nt RTE have a phone in after matches?)

Mike.

thats an idea, they should get dumphy as host. :D

smemon wrote:
    excellent finish by keane with a lob volley, bet if he'd been onside he would have skied it.
    He was onside.
    Dreadfull, completly crap, we were all over the place against a crap side.

Roy Keane - err old man, those days of lifting the entire team seem well gone.
    Carr- Crap, useless, talk about getting into trouble with crap passes,
    Finnan - dodgy at the back,
    Reid - go loose some weight, cant compete at this level
    Robbie Keane - was he there on the pitch??

Kerr's tatics where highly questionable, too much space given away and never closed down the swiss. The Jollyrodger is not jolly one bit at watching that
    Cop the hell on FFS. Finnan was great at the back, better than O'Shea. Reid was god on Saturday for god's sake.

This place is getting me depressed. I'm delighted with the result and all you lot should be as we're already half way to qualifying after today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:
    kerr played suicidle tactics after we scored, just sitting back until they eventually scored despite several warnings. it was a disgraceful way to play and i hate the way we do it all the time. ultimately it probably cost us 2 points and more importantly would have put us 3 ahead of the swiss.

Defiantely suicide tactics after we scored. We should have shut up shop after 9 minutes :rolleyes:

I would have taken a point at the beginning. Had a few lucky escapes. Linesman cost us a few chances. Roy looked well short of practise.

How do you figure that? Reid was defintely waaay out of the match. Playing against Cyprus doesnt cut it, they are truely crap. he doesnt look like he can do the business. I have lots of doubts about whether he should start against the french.

As for finnan, well i think the entire back four were to blame. Talk about being so deep. Was that a Kerr decision or was it because of Cunnigham?? The result is one thing, but we were very lucky not too loose.

I don't think we can blame Kerr for the players defending. Its all down to psychology, not conceding was the main priority for Ireland and the Swiss were going all out to score. It happens in a lot of matches and has nothing to do with tactics. If it had to do with tactics he wouldn't have put Doc up front.

On RTE , Liam brady says Kerr is very defensively minded coach. Kerr reckons he has a very attack minded team... I thought we were crap in both departments.

On RTE , Liam brady says Kerr is very defensively minded coach. Kerr reckons he has a very attack minded team... I thought we were crap in both departments.
    Oh yeah, put the blame of the performance of Roy et al on bloody Kerr.

Why are we worrying about the performance? It doesn't matter if we don't perform as long as we get the result we need. We all know Keane x2, Carr and Reid can play better. Kilbane will be replaced for the France match. Duff will play better when everyone else does and we know, even though he played great, it wasn't a 10/10.

People are forgetting that the Swiss are also fighting for qualifaction. The Swiss and French will be trying to win all their home games as will we. Its 2 points dropped now for both France and Switzerland so we are in the driving seat.

I agree with eirebhoy on nearly all his remarks on the match(Can't name any I disagree with tbh).Reid does not need to lose weight as long as he is playing well ok he was poor in this match but on Saturday he was attracted by Jose Morinho.Kerr wanted 4 points from the 2 games he got it didnt he.

I thimk we should support Ireland rather than criticise them all the time.Dont forget they were away from home and we can't bloody well win every single game can we?

The players I feel did well were Duff,Given and Kavanagh played well when he came on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement