Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline on Dave Fanning show.

Options
  • 08-09-2004 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

I was just interviewed by Dave Fanning on 2fm. I managed to get the issues out there anyway. My mother is taking the piss out of me now because I allegedly have a posh accent on the radio. I always thought I'd talk to Dave about the Pixies or Jeff Buckley *shrug*

Anyway, more people know about us now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sorry for not giving advanced notice but I hadn't much time and was told I was only on stand-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It'll probably be up on their site wont it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

damien.m wrote:
    I was just interviewed by Dave Fanning on 2fm. I managed to get the issues out there anyway. My mother is taking the piss out of me now because I allegedly have a posh accent on the radio. I always thought I'd talk to Dave about the Pixies or Jeff Buckley *shrug*

Anyway, more people know about us now.

The show isn't online yet, but when it is, you can listen to it online by opening this URL in RealPlayer:
    rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2004/0908/08092004rte-thedavefanningshow.rm

(I'll try to snip out your segment, if I get a chance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Begob its an all out media assualt! Now if IOFFL could wangle 10-15 mins with
    Pat Kenny in conversation with ComReg...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I have to apologise profusely to Damien.

The researcher rang me while I was driving.

All I got was her number, name and something about a radio show. I couldn't pull in so I put her off and said someone from IOFFL would ring.

Damien drew the short straw.

So if he didn't seem to have his facts and figures at his fingertips blame me. :o

John

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    My mother is taking the piss out of me now because I allegedly have a posh accent on the radio.
    Heh. I got that for months after I appeared on RTE Radio Cork about five years ago to talk about De Internet Ting and De Ecommerce Like. Kept getting told I had a Rugby Cork Accent, and some of the sound bytes I came up with are still thrown at me to this day. It won't go away Damien! :)

(BTW, RTE Radio Cork closed down the very next day. Poor b'stards, they couldn't have known I'd have that effect!)

adam

jwt wrote:

So if he didn't seem to have his facts and figures at his fingertips blame me.

Oh I just reached for my IOFFL factsheet that I have on my bat utility belt.

mike65 wrote:
    Now if IOFFL could wangle 10-15 mins with
    Pat Kenny in conversation with ComReg...

We're working on it, amongst other things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good work lads. You do come across a bit posh damien :p

I have no idea how to rip sound from Realplayer files, but if someone wants to, the whole section comes in two parts;
    The first one starting at 21:40 and ending at 37:15 has damien's piece and sme extra fluff from the lovely Karlin, and of course the usual windbag from Dave Fanning.
    The second one starts at 44:05 and ends at 57:55 and is more just info stuff. Karlin talking about what broadband can do for you, and dealing with a few texts/questions.

Boards.ie nicely thrown in there Karlin, kudos. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oooh! Karlin! ;) She just mentioned ISDN as BB. Gak! :(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

damien.m wrote:
    I was just interviewed by Dave Fanning on

FWIW I thought you did a great job...and you didn't come over all "posh like".
    (Thats my calling in life)

I pitied Karlin though trying to tread ever so carefully through the minefield that is bb in Ireland. She kept recommending wireless again and again. If only wireless was a reality in the vast dark and dank interior where the buffaloes roam. She giggled knowingly when Damien talked about the massive line failures.
    She also plugged boards.ie pretty clearly a few times as well...

Btw, direct link to the show is here (realplayer required).

Yeah, that was good stuff damien (&Karlin - Hi there Karlin:)).

Decent amount of time given over to it aswell, which is nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Moriarty wrote:
    Yeah, that was good stuff damien (&Karlin - Hi there Karlin:)).

Decent amount of time given over to it aswell, which is nice for a change.

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Good interview. Glad to hear the person he had one did actually seem to know her stuff for a change (not her personally, just in general). Though that was a bit of a boo-boo about ISDN suddenly so many people more have (access to) "broadband".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just listened to it..
    "Broadband is highspeed net access, this includes ISDN..."
    sigh :rolleyes:

That bit was painful rest I have to say was fine, good job damien.m

Oh and it was nice to hear the one from Irish times promoting the downloading of a song (Led Zepplin) *cough* piracy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Have not heard the interview, but good on ya Damien.

Again this acknowledge's how the media have accepted IrelandOffline as the official established campaigning voluntary organisation that it is, and all media sector's are turning more and more to IrelandOffline when knowledgeable informed authoritative spokesperson's are needed.

If proof that IrelandOffline still has a lot to do, and is badly needed because of it's inherent independence, and envious track record.

This is just one more example that should help to encourage the doubter's and cynic's to continue supporting IrelandOffline and all it's volunteer's, now and in the future ?.. :cool:

Thanks Dave. This is on the IrelandOffline website now at:

http://irelandoffline.org/media/mp3/040908-2fm-fanning-mulley.mp3

adam

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Good stuff Damien.

I've cut out the extra stuff .. and have 8K encoding for narrowband users ...
    http://www.cgarvey.com/ioffl/ .. if that's of any help.

.cg

I've switched out Dave's for cgarvey's 16kbps merged mp3, at 3.4MB. Might add a week or two to my poor, wheezing old server's lifespan. :)

Thanks cgarvey.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

dahamsta wrote:
    I've switched out Dave's for cgarvey's 16kbps merged mp3, at 3.4MB. Might add a week or two to my poor, wheezing old server's lifespan. :)
    I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to chop the relevant sections out of RTEs RealMedia stream, but RTE must have changed something recently, because rmeditor just doesn't like that that stream.

Sorry about that.

Advertisement