Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's School?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SeanOM

5th yr is a bollox. My ol lade is teachin me and all these weird germans have invaded d place. Its rare to hear a word of english now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

School is school! 3rd year is like 2nd year but with more stressed out teachers and our classroom is beside some kind of sewage system instead of being upstairs and within slimy object throwing at car distance.
    And now our incompetent science teacher has left the new one told us we have about 40 chapters to cover and then another 100 to revise by the end of January.

Hurray.

And I have Irish first thing 4 times a week. It gets better and better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

aw well cry me a river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

yeah cry me one two...id really appreciate it!

I'm afraid you're going to need a permit if you plan on installing a river in this area.

Oh I wasn't giving out about school. That's just a brief summary is all. I have a LOT more... but I'll spare you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

dont know what you're all complaining about, I know its crap to be back at school and all, but all of you in 5th year like myself, come on its not even hard at the moment.
    3rd years...you're being told now to study non stop for JC, right? well next year you're gonna be told it means NOTHING. all it does is decide if you do honours or pass. and nobody can force you to do either.

Damn conspirational school.

Although.. since I'm going to have to do Irish for the LC, and since I want to do moderately well, I think trying to actually learn some of the fiendish crap this year may benefit me slightly.

I didnt bother studying for my irish, though i wanted to do well. havent got my results yet but it was easy. seriously, i made most of it up.

Irish is my arch nemesis.
    I battle it with style and brightly coloured capes every night when nobody's looking.
    Making stuff up is hard when your Irish vocabulary does not rival your English one. (I have a tendency to think it in English, then try translating it as exactly as possible to Irish.. which doesn't work... at all...)

i have a crap irish vocab aswell but anyway its not so bad. dont worry about it, you'll do fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Hahahah, you guys have school.

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Hahahah, you guys have school.

ah yeah but its not that bad. a doss actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

ah school, takes me back that does...

'boys dont hit girls issue'

they bloody do when provoked.
    or out on the mug'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I remember those days. Back when Irish first thing in the morning meant a lie-on and maths could be passed with your eyes closed. College is so much better than school, but requires waaaaaay more work. And don't ever stress about the JC. It's there to freak out the 14 and 15 year olds of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

the junior cert?
    ha!
    it sucked ass.
    I didnt study a day, and passed everything...still did **** tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

I dont mind school that much at all. I have way more money then i did for the hols. I actually apreciate the weekend and when its friday and saturday during school i have a better night then a whole week during the summer. And I prefer 5th year to 4th. Im completely difrent to everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

oh my god irish is the biggest waste of time and if i get another E im down to pass and im just finding out that we have so much more to do cause our 2nd year irish teacher didnt teach us enough even though we thought she did plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like Irish as my roomate knows cos I never shut up about how great Irish is and I was talking in my sleep in Irish for Christ's sake.

Wow... I've never encountered someone who LIKES Irish before...

I DESPISE my irish teacher.he's insane. he has an imaginary friend called finbarr and he talks to him. finbarr aparently sailed with Christy Columbus and had tea with George Washington. my teacher tends to bang his head off walls,wander into class half an hour late and leave fifteen minutes early.he usually is in a different block in the other side of the school cause has no sense of direction. he sings and makes exploision during exams. he was singing 'zipi di do da,zip i di day' today in the corridor.he's also my history teacher :(
    mt 1st year teacher was sound cause you never had to do your homework cause if you 'left it at home' he wouldnt mind.he only minded if you talked and then his face would go bright red. he's really small so the first years leave the duster on top of the board so he cant reach it which is mean cause he's a sound teacher

• Advertisement

That is one crazy teacher.
    And I thought my religion teacher who thought he saw Mary in a bathroom was crazy...

Last year we started putting the duster on top of the board for our short maths teacher. It actually got so far that we stuck it to the ceiling (because the board wasn't enough) so he threw a girls pencilcase at it, missed spectacularly, hit and smashed the clock.

Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Naeny

Oh my god, im not sure if other schools have this, but I have a thing called 'prep' *dun dun duuuuuuuuun* Its like an hour long and your 'supposed' to do your hmwk, you have to do it unless you have a note to get off.
    It used to be such a doss, like I barely eva went id jus mich off with my friend or my bfriend and go up the 'lane'(its a lane where people hang out and its covered in graffitti), no one wud eva notice! and if you did go to it everyone wud tlk and mess, the teachers cud neva control us, especially the fellas! But now, the feckin teachers are bein right pricks like you cant even tlk to the person beside you! Its madness! Like if you keep tlkin even if you've been told to shut up your sent to the headmaster! :rolleyes:

Is this "prep" thing an actual class or just an allocated time for homework doing?

That is one crazy teacher.
    And I thought my religion teacher who thought he saw Mary in a bathroom was crazy...

Last year we started putting the duster on top of the board for our short maths teacher. It actually got so far that we stuck it to the ceiling (because the board wasn't enough) so he threw a girls pencilcase at it, missed spectacularly, hit and smashed the clock.

Good times.

my school is full of stupid teachers. a maths teahcer in my school was coaching gaelic football in Bushy park(i know this cause my dad also coches football inthe same club) and one of the lads kicked a ball and it got stuck in a tree so he kicked another one TOTALLY missing :eek: it and sent the second one into the back garden in a house and then blamed it on one of the lads.
    he's as hopeless at maths. we only had him for one day he was teaching us a new formula and kept asking us was he doing it right. i have loads of stupidthings that teachers did but it would take me ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Go to this "prep", bring an English book... try some sort of text aimed at 2nd class students and take it from there. Hopefully it will provide you with some sort of knowledge regarding "spelling" and "grammar".

WannaBuyAVowel.jpg
    Remember children, vowels are your friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Stephanie dear, even if you do nothing AT ALL for your Irish JC it won't matter even the tiniest bit because the LC course is purely rote-learning. You may be a little screwed for your oral but the actual written exam you just learn off a bunch of crap. Is nobody else in 6th year? Teachers are piling on the work but I've somehow reached a calm place where I'm just taking everything in my stride. Roll on college though! I finally narrowed down what I want to do in college today - god bless guidance counsellors!

Oh, damn. I SUCK at rote learning!
    Good to hear about the college stuff Caoimhe!

I'm in 6th year, but I love school. I do my work, do my Student Council stuff, play rugby, hang out with friends and there's absolutely no pressure on me to be gainfully employed so all in all it's pretty great. In 6th year the teacher-student relationship seems to be less of a superior teacher / inferior student one but rather an equal relationship based on respect and trust. Sounds a bit like some sort of buzzword sentence for a newspaper or something but it's true. If you act like someone with half a brain, have some manners and extend your teachers the respect and trust they deserve then I find school to be an entirely happy easy going affair.

Disliking your school / teachers is utterly pointless before you're 16 because you have to go to school. Disliking your school / teachers after you're 16 means you deserve the death penalty. You are a horrible waste of space, if you dislike it so much then leave you horrible cowardly twats. No one is forcing you to go to school after you a 16, you are there because you choose to be there... if you dislike it then leave you horrible person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Oh, I do like school. I have some really great teachers and even the ones that aren't so great I still get along really well with most of them. I think some people just are a little less comfortable talking to people who are a good bit older than them, I never have been though.
    I think you really get out of school what you put into it. Especially with TY, I did loads of stuff that year and really enjoyed it. I'm loving this year because I'm doing my work but also taking the time with my friends too. That's going to be the most important thing for us all this year because we're really going to need each other's support to get through the particularly tough times. I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge of the year... :)

• Advertisement

[Off topic] Clontarf, eh? What school are you in I go to Pauls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement