Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's School?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i love irish.. i wish i was fluent, and am hoping to by the end of 6th year. liz, i'm taking it you've got maloney, yeah? i'm not in his class but i've heard the stories....

regards how school is, i haven't been back yet (thank god for family holidays) so i have no idea... no looking forward to the old uniform though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ha! You will soon be a Green Mucker-Fcuker like the rest of us come Monday and I will be laughing a lot. Mr Maloney is one of the few Irish teachers who actually knows how to teach Irish. How'd you know I have him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Judas04

Bah! irish sucks MAJOR ass!!!!! i was with the fscking weirdest teacher for about 3 years and now i HATE it!!! :mad:

As a subject its crap (Not for me though cos I like my class) But I think its nice language. Its also great for speaking in to your friends when your abroad, or slagging people in front of their faces without them knowing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

As a subject its crap (Not for me though cos I like my class) But I think its nice language. Its also great for speaking in to your friends when your abroad, or slagging people in front of their faces without them knowing. ;)

i totally agree. my friend spends half her summer in france and for the craic spends most of her time slaging off french people that give out to her to there face in irish.she laughs evertime she remembers their reaction.
    we had this mexican girl called Niamh (finally theres another Niamh outside Ireland) and she kept on moaning about how crap Ireland was and kept speaking spanish to a spanish student so we pointed out everything bad bout Mexico and started speaking irish around her
    using it against foreigners you dont like and that its part of our heritage, are the only just reasons for irish

• Advertisement

Plus its a cool language

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

its not too bad cept for the way its taught. the beat thing about learning it is that there loads of ways of pronouncing the word and whatever way you say the irish word you're bound to be right

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I hated Irish with a vengeance in school, I did pass in the LC because I just didn't want to study for it. Wound up with an A2. It's the worst taught subject out of the whole lot. I reckon I had better Irish in 6th class than I did in 6th year. Though now I'm a 3rd year maths student so its totally irrelevant... I'd still like to be able to speak some of it though. Given that it is our national language...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

The gap between pass and honours is unreal too. The honours exam is based on the presumption that it is a first language, and the pass that its a foreign one. So you have an Honours level first language exam. and a pass level second language exam. ITS HYPOCRITICAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

jono087 wrote:
    civil servants (supposedly, however I can't see a reason for them needing it)

This is true. I have done two spoken Irish exams for public service jobs. The reason for these exams is that, incredibly, some people in this country may actually want to use their first language writing to a County Council or a library. If civil/public servants cannot speak Irish, they cannot reply to correspondence in the sender's vernacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Irish is also handy in the army, where foot drill, arms drill, and range commands are given in Irish (there's even a RDF company based in the Brugha designated as a Gaelgoir company. They speak a lot of Irish). It's not as important in drill (what the NCO says rarely resembles anything vaguely Irish anyway), but it is important on the range, particularly if you're part of the party putting up the targets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

I don't mind Irish so much, but a good techer can make all the difference. I had this stupid bigheaded techer in 1st who just told us not to do drugs for the whole year, but now I've got the most sarcastic funniest teacher ever, and now its so much fun seeing her take the piss outta all the annoying ppl.
    In a nice way of course.

Oh I just heard that PE is an Exam subject for this year's 1st years. Talk about adding even more pressure on the already self-councious little uns'...
    *sigh* I hate the Department of Education so much...stems from having 2 teachers for parents. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aren't they throwing on enough subjects for the JC already?
    I thought 9 was a lot back in 1999 (the last year before CSPE was compulsory)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Aren't they throwing on enough subjects for the JC already?
    I thought 9 was a lot back in 1999 (the last year before CSPE was compulsory)...
    10 was grand, nice round number but I heard they're making religion a JC subject and that the course is quite hard (don't know if its started yet). P.E. though... Christ I so would have failed that. I can see it being an optional exam for those good at sports but compulsory... Although maybe its a last ditch effort by the government to stop the unhealthy lifestyle so many of us lead getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

RE is an exam subject in some schools, they're bringing it in gradually. I just missed it, next year it'll be an exam subject in my school. W00t!

PE though.. that is just criminal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

RE is an exam subject in some schools, they're bringing it in gradually. I just missed it, next year it'll be an exam subject in my school. W00t!

PE though.. that is just criminal...

PE is ok, at least its some way enjoyeable. I'm taking RE for leaving cert tho, not too bad so far. All we do is listen to music and watch clips from films.... I'm dreading the exam though, probably a test of how much bullsh*t you can fit on a page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sounds more like ag-science to me....

Arg School. School Is Sh!t. Life Since School Started Is Sh!t. People In School Are Sh!t. **** Sh!t Sh!t

RE is an exam subject in our school. We have a new RE teacher this year and it sucks cos she actually makes up work. Last year was a joke though. Today we watched this movie about some saint and there was an exorcism and it was hilarious cos the special effects were so sh!te.

pinkpimp wrote:
    Arg School. School Is Sh!t. Life Since School Started Is Sh!t. People In School Are Sh!t. **** Sh!t Sh!t
    I take it things are going well then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I believe there is a Junior Cert subject by the name of SPHE (Social, Personal and Health Education). I have no idea what is taught in it, though I'd imagine it would go a little like "This is deodorant. This is how to apply deodorant. Deodorant should be applied at least once a day, or you will smell, and nobody will talk to you."

Yeah I've heard about it and had it explained to me but my mind drifted after "SPHE is..."

I do SPHE.
    It isn't a subject.

It's a class, also known as tutor. Basically your form teacher comes in, roars at you about the state of the class, you elect prefects, and maybe once in a while you "discuss" drinking or "peer pressure" or other teenage issues like that.

I hope to god it won't get an exam. That would really be pathetic.

Of course this is just my version, perhaps it actually is something in other schools.

Caoimhe wrote:
    I take it things are going well then?

GRRRR!!!!

SCHOOL IS SH!T!!!!!!!!

and in response to your question, NO!!!! SCHOOL IS SH!T. GRR!!

I HATE LIFE

*hug*

aww. thanks person i dont know or whos name i have forgotten. still though,

I HATE SCHOOL!!!!

SCHOOL IS SH!T. SH!T SH!T SH!T SH!T SH!T!!!!!!!
    AAAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!

*squints into the distance* No, sorry, your sanity appears to have run away for good...
    My name is clearly Caoimhe dear. You stole my hat from me at the reunion a while ago. Well, not MY hat but someone's hat that I commandeered...

I wonder how you can forget Caoimhe's name...

And wow that's some serious venting going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

We get the idea pinkpimp. Now please, smaller text?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

I think we call SPHE Personal Development in our school...aka PD.

We're developing....personally! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement