Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre To The Home (FTTH) network

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

flamegrill wrote:
    Well its for a new company building a new housing estate with over 850 houses. The plan is to have 10mbit/s net connection pre-configured into each and every house.
    Paul

So Comreg hurry up with number porting for voice over IP.
    No more Eircom line rental for these tenants.
    The builders of Ireland to the rescue of our broadband future? Perhaps it was not such a bad idea after all of Dermot to give the management of the MAN's fibre structure to a builder!

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Seems to me: Getting broadband to the regional towns- mission accomplished.

No. That's not even remotely accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Seems to me: Getting broadband to the regional towns- mission accomplished.
    I think you'll find that most, if not all, regional towns already have fibre in their vicinity but nobody wants to connect it :(

And not just regional towns, also many villages - I have it running past my front door in a little village in Donegal with no prospect whatsoever of it ever being connected to homes in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think you're all getting worked up over nothing. Bt said they plan a rollout in 2010. They are only planning it now. Infact they announced they are PLANNING FTTH.
    Screw Eircom, they're only part of the puzzle and in case you missed it, they don't have any money to invest in FTTH. The people in this thread are talking about research by communications providers in general, and more importantly Gov.ie. Because if the providers won't do it, Gov.ie has to, and I think we're all aware of how fast governments do things...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I think you're all getting worked up over nothing. Bt said they plan a rollout in 2010. They are only planning it now. Infact they announced they are PLANNING FTTH.
    Eircom are trialing it in an estate in my area.

Seems to me: Getting broadband to the regional towns- mission accomplished. Wait a while and see whats next. See what private companies do with liscences providing the last mile.

You must be freakin' joking man. You say BT plan on rolling it out in 2010? Well, theres a little word in there called 'plan' - which leads to a question.
    Q. Who has planned the roll out of ftth in Ireland?
    Answer = Nobody.
    'Wait a while': I think its fair to say that anyone whos spent any time on this forum knows what 'waiting a while' brings..
    As far as them announcing that they are planning/trialling ftth - just vapourware. I mean maybe they have a small trial somewhere but its just a pr stunt.
    The ESB announced a trial of Powerline Broadband down here many months ago amid plenty of publicity and i havnt heard a damn thing about it since.

Is there any reason why we have to wait for the UK to bring this in first - before we do anything! We regard ourselves as a progressive country these days but don't act like it. Its a very big undertaking but think of the competitive advantage having such technology rolled out would bring to this island...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

flamegrill wrote:
    Bit of news, ill see if i can get details for everyone.

My brother got a new job (who gives a fiddlers ya say?). Well its for a new company building a new housing estate with over 850 houses. The plan is to have 10mbit/s net connection pre-configured into each and every house.

If i get more details, which should be possible over the next few days, as he only started last friday. I'll post them.

Paul
    Would that happen to be the one in Clonee where the offer an internal gaming network, voip calls, sky without a dish and their own gaming network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Jorinn wrote:
    Would that happen to be the one in Clonee where the offer an internal gaming network, voip calls, sky without a dish and their own gaming network?

I can't comment on exactly where, yet. I may actually end up working on the project team developing the network lol. I don't think its clonee, not this one anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

flamegrill wrote:
    I can't comment on exactly where, yet. I may actually end up working on the project team developing the network lol. I don't think its clonee, not this one anyways.
    Think i saw a full page ad for it on the independent property supplement last wekk and that was one of their key buying points. Can't find out again, just saw it in a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

In last Sunday's SBP

Viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Eircom are trialing it in an estate in my area.

The 5Mbit trial in S Dublin is copper but the estate is served by a fibre cabinet which is an extension of the local exchange out to the local area ....dramatically shortening the copper runs. The houses do not have fibre IIRC

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah that's bog standard fibre to the curb.

You can get pretty serious bandwidth with wireless, by the way. I could be wrong but I think the wireless providers in Ireland tend to provide point-to-point in the region of 35Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Blaster99 wrote:
    Yeah that's bog standard fibre to the curb.

You can get pretty serious bandwidth with wireless, by the way. I could be wrong but I think the wireless providers in Ireland tend to provide point-to-point in the region of 35Mbps.
    The guys fron NTRBroadband who fixed me up said that they could give me 30Mbs if I wanted it ... and if I was prepared to pay for it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Fiber to the Curb in America

Fibre To The Kerb in Ireland

2 countries separated by a Common Acronym

Its not FTTH though :)

See http://www.ejeisa.com/nectar/concord2/01/doc0005.htm
    In an optical access system, the data is transported in baseband over an optical fibre network from the Central Office (CO) up to the Optical Network Unit (ONU). This ONU can be placed (see Figure 13):

· to the Kerb (FTTK - e.g. corner of a street) at a maximum distance of about 300 m from the customer premises, serving 10 - 100 subscribers

· in the Building (FTTB - e.g. basement of a building)

· in the Home (FTTH), serving a single customer.

In the FTTK / FTTB configuration, the local distribution of the data is done on the existing cable infrastructure (coax or twisted pair), referred to as Digital Home Network (DHN). This network offers a capacity of 26 - 52 Mbit/s downstream and 0.8 - 1.6 Mbit/s upstream on either twisted pair or coax. Such an interface has been defined and specified in the DAVIC 1.0 specification.

The search for cost-effective Fibre-In-The-Loop (FITL) systems that may offer flexibility to accommodate present and future customer demands and the evolution in opto-electronic components, optical amplifiers, and system technology, has led to the concept of Passive Optical Networks (PONs), originally proposed in 1987 by researchers at BT Labs.

Lots of FTT variants for yiz all :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

To go back to the start of the thread, ftth could cost well more than €8bn or way less, depending on how it is achieved. If fibre were trenched to every home in Ireland from scratch and the cost of the network electronics taken into account also, the network would cost probably many times that figure.
    If as Eircomtribunal suggested, we look at the new homes built every year and even bury empty duct from each home to a common point in at the street, that would straight away dramatically reduce the cost for these homes. If you take into account the MAN infrastructure already in place and the amount of road digging that goes on for all sorts of reasons constantly in every part of the country, a large amount of the underground infrastructure necessary to provide this network could be built over a ten year period at a small fraction of the cost of opening the ground specifically for the network.
    On the network side, fibre to the curb is a very good compromise between ftth and wireless local loop for example. In fact, with duct in place in new estates for example, it is possible to pull in 4 pair network cable to a maximum of 90 meters and have up to 1,000Mbps to each home from a central switch for a very small cost compared to having fibre electronics at every house. Many computers and laptops come with a gigabit ethernet card built in, so the end user device cost is either little or nothing. The cost per port of a gigabit switch has plummeted in the recent past. I haven't priced it lately but possibly less than €50 per port?
    Being a little less extreme, 100Mbps to every home is very cheap and still far more connectivity than anyone but large corporates have in Ireland and with the Cat5E or Cat6 cable in place, migration to Gigabit ethernet is easy and cheap when that sort of bandwidth is warranted down the road.
    Lets face it, if the empty duct was in place today, a network like this wouldn't really cost very much at all. Take into account the ability of this sort of bandwidth to deliver a true 'triple play' of voice, video and data to every home and you have a very interested population, along with potential providers tripping over themselves to accomodate them.
    Besides getting the duct in the ground, the main hurdles to overcome are governmental. Who would own this infrastructure? How would it be shared? Who would maintain it?
    I like the idea of getting the Gov't off their arses and forcing them to start thinking along the lines of a new countrywide network that will replace what is there now and have unlimited growth potential.
    Now, where do we start?

Advertisement