Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's so special about your birthday then?

• 27-06-2001 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

... or any other date for that matter?

Find out @ :
    --

Apparently I share my birthday with Britney Spears and Monica Seles, and it's also the anniversary of the first nuclear chain reaction produced by man.

--

Just another feature that may be of interest smile.gif

So - ... the question is: what's the most historically significant thing about your birthday? (apart from the magnificence of your birth of course!)

Bard
    Fatter, happier, more productive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Hmm, my birthday is boring.

World Vegetarian Day and Spain sold part of America.

I share my birthday with.. Henry III! Marvellous.

Miaow.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hmm...
    - Genghis Khan dies
    - Vladimir Nabokov's novel Lolita makes its first U.S. appearance
    - Women given the right to vote in the US
    - Xerox shelves Alto
    - Hitler suspends euthanasia program
    - Walter P. Chrysler, the American auto tycoon, died
    - Hobbes was born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The more interesting entries listed for September 13th:

1898: celluloid film patented (ie old cinema film)
    1899: first recorded death from a car accident. Happened in New York City.
    1940: Italy invades Egypt.
    1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono presented the Plastic Ono Band in concert for the first time
    1982: I was born smile.gif

And lots of other uninteresting stuff also happened on the 13th down through the years.

- Munch

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 27-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

•1520: Portuguese-born Spanish explorer Ferdinand Magellan reaches the Pacific Ocean from the Atlantic.
    •1943: The first conference between the leaders of the three major Allied powers—Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin—begins in Teheran, Iran.
    •Sinn Fein Founded in Ireland.

smile.gif Nobody intresting (apart from me, obviously wink.gif ) born on November 28th.

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Born -
    Amadeus
    Lewis Carrol

Events:
    Edison Patents the Electric Lightbulb.
    National Geographic society forms.
    Auschwitz Liberated.
    Apollo1 goes on fire.
    America signs a peace treaty with North Vietnam.
    Michael Jackson's head goes on fire at a radio interview.

And of course yours truly popped out squealing for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Events:
    1800: The U.S. Library of Congress is established in the Capitol building in Washington, D.C.; it moves to its own quarters in 1897.

1898: Spain declares war on the United States, ignoring an ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba.

1916: Irish nationalists, rebelling against British rule, seize key buildings in Dublin and proclaim Ireland an independent republic in the Easter Rebellion.

1967: Soviet cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov is the first person to die during a space mission when the Soyuz I craft crashes to earth.

1981: IBM introduces its first personal computer, the IBM PC; its enormous success soon leads competitors to clone the machine.
    heehee - sweeeeeeeeeet

1990: West and East Germany agree to merge their currency and economies in July. Full political reunification occurs in October.

Born:
    Edmund Cartwright, inventor (1743)

Anthony Trollope, novelist (1815)

Willem de Kooning, painter (1904)

Robert Penn Warren, novelist, poet, and critic (1905)

Shirley MacLaine, actor, dancer, and author (1934)

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

1453: The Hundred Years' War between England and France ends.

1793: French assassin Charlotte Corday is guillotined.

1941: After hitting in a record 56 consecutive games, Joe DiMaggio is held hitless by the Cleveland Indians.

1945: Harry Truman, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin meet at the beginning of Potsdam Conference.

1945: Disneyland opens.

1948: The States' Rights Party, a group of southern Democrats who oppose the civil rights program of the Democratic Party, nominates South Carolina governor Strom Thurmond for president at their party convention.

1975: American and Soviet spacecraft link in space for the first time when the American Apollo spacecraft docks onto the Soviet Soyuz 19.

1978: Monty is born tongue.gif

1979: As Sandinista rebels prepare to take over Nicaragua, dictator Anastasio Somoza flees the country, ending his family's 43-year reign in the country.

Hmm inteareasting...

It is not a fairytail. It is truth

www.scifi-meshes.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

1547: Ivan the Terrible is crowned tsar of Russia

1919: Prohibition, the legal ban on the manufacture and sale of intoxicating drink, goes into effect.

Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, the leader of Iran since 1941, is forced to flee the country.

1991 The Persian Gulf War begins

and, er....

1997 Microsoft Launches Office 97

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

leonardo da vinci was born and titanic sunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

MICKEY MOUSE MAKES ACTING DEBUT:
    On September 19, 1928, American icon "Mickey Mouse" made his film debut. His voice and creator Walt Disney owed a debt to his wife, who advised him that Mickey Mouse was a better name than "Mortimer Mouse." Mickey became a star in Steamboat Willie, his first sound film, and appeared in over one hundred other movies, and later, in Disney's two popular theme parks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

1889: North Dakota and South Dakota are admitted to the Union. Learn more about U.S. history.

1920: Warren G. Harding becomes the 29th president of the United States. Learn more about Warren G. Harding.

1947: Howard Hughes test-flies the "spruce goose," a two-hundred-ton plywood airplane with a wing span longer than a football field. Learn more about Howard Hughes.

1948: Democratic incumbent Harry S. Truman defeats New York governor Thomas E. Dewey in the U.S. presidential elections. Learn more Harry Truman.

1948: Margaret Chase Smith is elected to the U.S. Senate. Learn more about Margaret Chase Smith.

Daniel Boone, American pioneer (1734)

James Polk, 11th president of the United States (1795)

Warren G. Harding, 29th president of the United States (1865)

Burt Lancaster, American actor (1913)
    ----
    from history channel
    ----
    •Peter the Great Becomes Emperor of Russia...
    •First Traitor to the American Revolution...
    •Truman Defeats Dewey...
    •MLK Federal Holiday Declared...
    •First Execution of a Woman in Two Decades...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

born:

Montgomery Ward, merchant (1844)

Red Barber, baseball radio announcer (1908)

Alan Bates, English actor (1934)

Jim Brown, football player and actor (1936)

Michael Jordan, professional basketball player (1963)

Billie Joe Armstrong (Grammy Award-winning singer: Dookie [1994]; group: Green Day; musician: guitar; songwriter) (1972)

smoke-me-a-kipper, professional lunatic (1982)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt actor (Tommy Solomon-Third Rock From the Sun) (1982)

also, this site has Birthdates, Deaths, american army MIA dates, and an on this day.. section. 1337!
    http://www.anydayinhistory.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

People:
    42BC 2nd emporor of Rome
    1982 I was born and the world rejoced( the rest r totally boring)

Events:
    1.First prison in american colonies(oh joy)
    2.oklahomo becomes 46th state( exciting no?)
    3.USA and USSR establish diplomatic ties(i luv politics)
    4.The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), headquartered in Paris, France, comes into operation.(oh plz stop the excitement)

Scorpio:
    The symbol of Scorpio is the scorpion. Scorpios are thought to be energetic and passionate leaders; they can be stubborn or jealous. They are sensitive and observant, and enjoy pushing themselves and others to the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I was born.

That should be enough to keep anyone else born on Sept 7th happy!

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

May as well add mine
    1547 - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (author: Don Quixote)
    1758 - Horatio Nelson born.
    1901 - Daimler cars changed there name to Mercedes because of fears the German-sounding Daimler would not sell well in France.

1915 Transcontinental demonstration of radio telephone operation

1977 - It was the most-watched prize fight in history, as Muhammad Ali beat Ernie Shavers (in a decision) to claim the heavyweight championship boxing crown

1978: Pope John Paul I dies after only 34 days in office.

1978: I was born

1979: Pope John Paul II vists Galway (my home town)

1982 - 264,000 bottles of Tylenol, the pain reliever, were recalled after a California man was poisoned by a strychnine-laced capsule. Seven people died of cyanide poisoning when they unknowingly ingested Tylenol that had been deliberately tampered with. The killer or killers have never been identified.

1987 Compaq introduces portable computer.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

1291: The cantons of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden form a protective confederation that will become the nation of Switzerland. Learn more about Switzerland.

1834: The Emancipation Act abolishes slavery throughout the British Empire. Learn more about Slavery.

1944: With Soviet armies approaching the city from the east, the resistance movement in Warsaw, Poland, begins an uprising against the German occupation. The Germans crush the rebellion by October. Learn more about Warsaw.

1954: The Yangtze River floods in China, killing 40,000 people and forcing 10 million others to leave their homes. Learn more about the Yangtze.

1978: Baseball player Pete Rose's hitting streak of 44 consecutive games, which tied the National League record, comes to an end. Learn more about Pete Rose.

1981: Music Television (MTV) debuts on the air with the video of the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star." Learn more about MTV.

>

Born on this Day

Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, biologist (1744)

Richard Henry Dana, writer and lawyer (1815)

Maria Mitchell, astronomer (1818)

Anne Hébert, poet and novelist (1916)

Sammy Lee, diver (1920)

Jerry Garcia, singer and guitarist (1942)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><snip>and it's also the anniversary of the first nuclear chain reaction produced by man.
    [/B]</font>

lol, cool, that explains a lot wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucutus:
    lol, cool, that explains a lot wink.gif

</font>

huh? whassit explain then?

Bard
    Vidi, Vici, Veni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Me: 31 03 1972

1774: British Parliament responds to the Boston Tea Party by passing the Boston Port Act, which closes the port of Boston; Americans regard this as the first of the so-called "Intolerable Acts."

1870: Thomas Peterson Mundy of New Jersey becomes the first black man to cast a ballot after the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives blacks the right to vote.

1889: The Eiffel Tower, built for the Paris World's Fair, opens in France.

1949: Newfoundland becomes the 10th province in Canada.

1976: The New Jersey Supreme Court sets a precedent, ruling that coma patient Karen Anne Quinlan can be taken off life support so she can "die with dignity."

Born on this Day

Joseph Haydn, composer (1732)
    Jack Johnson, boxer (1878)
    Octavio Paz, poet and essayist (1914)
    César Chávez, labor leader (1927)
    Gordie Howe, ice hockey player (1928)
    Al Gore, politician (1948)

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Oogy_Boogy

Well mines truly boring

Unintereasting events:
    *Ludwig van Beethoven dies in Vienna
    *First commercial motion picture filmis manufactured
    *Dr Jonas Salk announces that he has sucessfully tested a vaccine against polio
    *Heavens Gate cult members all found dead.
    *Israel-Egyption Peace agreement signed
    *I was born, yippe! (sarcasm)

Share My birthday with:
    Diana Ross
    Robert Frost
    Tennesse Williams
    Pierre Boulez
    and i think Leanard Nimoy (oh jesus christ im doomed!)

Oogy_Boogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

I share my bday with Buffalo Bill, Victor Hugo, Levi Strauss, Johnny Cash, Fats Domino and Orde Wingate(I knew that one only,they didn't redface.gif). It also the same date as the start of the Battle of the Somme :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

1620: The Mayflower arrives off of the coast of Cape Cod.
    1863: American president Abraham Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the Civil War cemetery at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
    1942 Soviet Counterattack at Stalingrad

The Soviet Red Army under General Georgi Zhukov launches Operation Uranus, the great Soviet counter-offensive that turns the tide of the Battle of Stalingrad.

I share my Birthday with Calvin Klein and Ted Turner, meg ryan and jodie Foster too ;-)
    1954: The first automatic toll collection machine is placed in service at the Union Toll Plaza on New Jersey's Garden State Parkway.

PELE SCORES 1,000TH GOAL

1969: American astronauts Pete Conrad and Alan LaVern Bean are the third and fourth humans to walk on the surface of the moon. 1985 Reagan and Gorbachev Meet in Geneva

U.S. president Ronald Reagan meets with the new Soviet general secretary, Mikhail Gorbachev, in Geneva, Switzerland, at the first U.S.-Soviet summit in six years. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the late 1970s significantly cooled relations between the two superpowers, and President Reagan himself called the Soviet Union the "evil empire" in a speech he made after assuming office in 1981. No significant agreements are made at the first face-to-face meeting between Reagan and the new Soviet leader, but Gorbachev does reveal his government's desire to end the costly Afghan war and the two leaders agree to hold another summit meeting in the near future. President Reagan also informally discusses with Gorbachev the possibility of the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. joining forces in the event of an invasion of earth by extraterrestrials.

The symbol of Scorpio is the scorpion. Scorpios are thought to be energetic and passionate leaders; they can be stubborn or jealous. They are sensitive and observant, and enjoy pushing themselves and others to the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Digital Tilmitt

Without looking up that I know that my birthday is on the same day as the Hiroshima Bomb which is why I must reap my vengence upon America........

'My Hardcore Title!' - Bounty Hunter

'One day I will be Tánaiste, but I will always be myself' - Digital Tilmitt/Princess Garnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Monty - the one and only:
    1453: The Hundred Years' War between England and France ends.

1793: French assassin Charlotte Corday is guillotined.

1941: After hitting in a record 56 consecutive games, Joe DiMaggio is held hitless by the Cleveland Indians.

1945: Harry Truman, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin meet at the beginning of Potsdam Conference.

1945: Disneyland opens.

1948: The States' Rights Party, a group of southern Democrats who oppose the civil rights program of the Democratic Party, nominates South Carolina governor Strom Thurmond for president at their party convention.

1972: Dustaz is born

1975: American and Soviet spacecraft link in space for the first time when the American Apollo spacecraft docks onto the Soviet Soyuz 19.

1978: Monty is born tongue.gif

1979: As Sandinista rebels prepare to take over Nicaragua, dictator Anastasio Somoza flees the country, ending his family's 43-year reign in the country.

Hmm inteareasting...

</font>

wow, i wasnt going to even bother posting mine untill i noticed that Monty saved me the bother smile.gif

Advertisement