Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nu-metal fading off?

Options
  • 08-09-2004 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

After watching the new Papa Roach music video on the box the other day, it made me wonder; is this stuff popular anymore? Of course, we just had Evanesense a few months back, but compared to the days when Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and the afformented Papa Roach reigned supreme, it does seem to have calmed down all a bit now, hasn't it? Since Evanesense came out of nowhere, it seems like there hasn't been an angry new nu-metal band to hit it big for quite some time. New albums by bands like Nickelback, P.O.D., Puddle of Mudd and Staind have flopped and we all remember how Linkin Park got bottled off supporting Metallica last year.

Right now, bands like HIM and The Rasmus, a new-found resurgence of popularity for Metallica, and alot of these scre(emo) bands are what's hot at the moment, which is probably better than two or three years ago but, I dunno, it's weird.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I remember the first time I saw a Papa Roach video. The one thought in my head was "My god, that's really, really awful...".

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

There seems to be a big hole in the music industry at the moment. Anyone could kick off something big at any second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Nu Metal was just a fad, it has mostly sub sided, but it will linger for a long while I would imagine, more variety these days, compared to about a year or 2 ago, but regardless still mostly pap, but still, better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, big decline in Nu-Metal, as it's really just a fad. "Next big thing" is gonna be hungarian Llama-core.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

In my opinion if Bush is re-elected Political punk bands will be seeing themselves in the mags alot more. Political awareness among teenagers is already heightened as far as I can see.

So nu-metal is gone punk is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Hardly. Nu Metal is being replaced by metal-core. Killswicth Engage, Lamb of God, Chimaira, Shadows Fall, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold and so on. that's why headbanger's ball is back on MTV. Because it made nu metal popular and now it will make this popular. Because nu metal has passed it's sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I dunno. I'd like to see a resurgance in any soft of decent music. Just not HIM & friends, and preferably not numetal (although I think that, while most of it is pap, there are some good tracks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hemlock666

Nu Metal is just a record label supported fad, same as grunge was. Its a good thing for extreme music though cause it makes the more obscure stuff accessable to the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hungarian Llama-core is the next big thing that new bands are changing their style for, there are even reports that bandwagon-jumper Robb Flynn is making Machine head's new album move in yet another musical direction, incorporating industrial sampling of camel spits, clip-clops and date-crunching sounds, so he can appeal to the masses, and not be accused of selling out by getting there first...

But emo is going away again, that was just a fad (thank fcuk). Lostprophets were nu-metal that decided to evolve into emo to jump off the nu-metal bandwagon and get on the last emo train home (haw haw haw) and look how they were received supporting metallica! Ok, metalcore acts are popping up everybloodywhere, but they at least have credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

At least metal core has some guitaring ability, some of Shadowsfall guitar work is amasing really, and a new wave of that style is a step up from nu metal at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i reckon it is, even though i fell prey to the curse of nu metal back a few years ago...shudder when i think of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ye the whole mall-core scene is next big thing. sure hope mastodon dont get roped into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I hate metal genre names, they always sound so lame. I can't understand the need to add core to the end of every word.

grimloch wrote:
    i reckon it is, even though i fell prey to the curse of nu metal back a few years ago...shudder when i think of it now
    Yeah, me too. Kinda what got me into metal in the first place. Kinda like hating your parents. Aaagh!
    John2 wrote:
    I hate metal genre names, they always sound so lame. I can't understand the need to add core to the end of every word.

*Prepares for yet another 'intellectual' speech*
    Core is taken from hardcore, which is an offshoot of punk. Grindcore, mathcore, noisecore, and all those cores are offshoots of hardcore. Metal has death metal, black metal, thrash and so on. The reason the name metalcore exists is that it takes both metal with elements of hardcore and hardcore with elements of metal and lumps the two of them together for metalcore. Therefore, just a combination of metal and hardcore. :cool:

Thanks for the explaination but I think anything that ends in core sounds ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

On a side note.
    Asha is selling the Children Of Bodom Hatebreeder t-shirt for €25. So Im peeved aboot that.Im starting to get worried that COB may become a mini-metaller favourite.Plus I only recieved the t-shirt in question from finland 8 days ago so its kind of another kick in the bolsheviks.They've also got an Immortal shirt in there too, next they'll be stocking fúcking Morbid Angel and Darkthrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Hardly. Nu Metal is being replaced by metal-core. Killswicth Engage, Lamb of God, Chimaira, Shadows Fall, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold and so on. that's why headbanger's ball is back on MTV. Because it made nu metal popular and now it will make this popular. Because nu metal has passed it's sell by date.
    i disagree. i think they wont be as big as limp bizkit etc. were in their day. i can't see killswitch engage reaching #1 in the album charts. nu-metal wasn't big. it was huge. an epidemic.

and dathai, blame cradle of filth for that. the backstreet boys of death metal, or whatever category you put them in.

well cradle of filth haven't made mini rockers listen to Children of Bodom mainly because CoF are not like CoB and Children of Bodom aren't as widely known to mini-rockers as Cradle of Filth.What I am more concerned about is that CoB will be turned into a Cradle of Filth type thing.Like all the "goths" listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

there were a few trendies at Bloodstock.... and COB were headlining
    I can't understand the need to add core to the end of every word.
    ye its stupid.... but it just adds to the stupidiy of the genre
    Asha is selling the Children Of Bodom Hatebreeder t-shirt for €25

deadly, i'l go in and buy that today. last time i was in there they had ManOwar and In Flames t-shirts

I'd be more worried about In-Flames or Nightwish making COB popular tbh. once a band makes its name in America you will see themselves start to dumb down for their nu audience. (sic) just watch Dimmu Borgir, theyve already started down the dark path (Hellboy soundtrack). keep your eye on COB and Arch Enemy...

The In Flames shirts are shít.Its just the Carlsberg one but I was talking to the guy in there and he said that they are getting some Immortal stuff back in.So if its as cheap as the COB shirt I'd get it.They have such a shít selection in there though.Anybody I know that listens to CoB have gotten their gear off the net or in another country so its kind of a ball breaker to think that mini rockers that have only one or even none of the CoB selection are getting the gear while older fans have put effort into it....Heh its driving me mad atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've read through this thread and twas interesting enough, but then made me laugh.

You whining pack of little bitches.

Dathai, you're complaining about a band becoming too popular and the rugrats buying the same t-shirt you ordered from Finland. Pity about it, but shít happens.

To the rest of ye; what is wrong with younger people listening to good music?
    I've seen 20-somethings wearing Linkin Park T-shirts.
    I didn't point and laugh, I didn't even show acknowledgement of their presence. I just felt pity for them.
    Why should what other people like affect your appreciation for the music, if you really like the music, and not the feeling of superiority, exclusivity and obscurity you get from listening to "secret music".

You people are akin to Sméagol and The Ring. Get over yourselves and jump around a bit more to the music you like and fúck what other people think or say.
    Don't be a pretentious git. Don't watch un-muted Avril Lavigne videos. Do pause for pantishots in Black-Eyed Peas - Hey Momma.

[/rant]

Why do so many American "punk" bands all see to have lead vocalists that sound exactly the same?

/me goes off to put on a bit of Stiff Little Fingers and Therapy? with a dash of The Kinks and Sepultura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Nu metal fading out is a VERY GOOD THING. Nu metal was probably the worst trend in rock i can honestly remember. It dumbed down music to an unbelievable degree and spawned such filth as papa roach which in itself is just unforgivable.

Tho like other posters im worried about more underground bands getting popular off the back of this. Not the getting popular that scares me, just the fact that once a band gets mainstream its usually the death knell for any kind of creativity as they can get by on thier name alone without having to really try with thier music. Case in point Marilyn manson, Portrait and ACS, classic albums, as soon as they got big, it all went to hell in a handbasket.
    HIM getting so big now is also a bit of a kicker, as i saw what can only be described as a pre-pubescent wearing a him hoodie the other day. Gah.

Im concerned for Meshuggah most of all, that band are one of the best metal bands ive heard in years, but all it would take is one episode of viva la bam where bam wears a meshuggah t-shirt and its all over. (ive already heard bits of thier stuff played on the show)

Hmmm, somehow I just don't see Meshuggah becoming that popular. Great band and all but definitely not something that would appeal to the unwashed masses

Key Syxpak, what they are complaining about are the mini-metallers who find and buy t-shirts of bands that they haven't got a clue about. One time i was talking to a friend of mine and his brother (14, maybe 15) was wearing an Iron Maiden tshirt and i tried to start a conversation with him about them, and he hadn't a clue about them. He said "yeah, bruce harris [sic] is a great singer".

You should agree that if you are gonna buy an Iron Maiden, CoB, or whatever tshirt, it should be because you like the band and consider yourself a fan, and not wearing it as a fashion statement.

I have to keep giving out to my cousin for owning more Iron Maiden shirts than he does albums. At least he knows something about them though but really, 6 shirts to 3 albums! And one of those albums is scratched to bits

I was guilty of it too. I remember buying a God Hates Us All tshirt before i had a slayer album! It was years ago though, and i bought reign in blood a week after, so it wasnt too bad.

Think i lost that tshirt at metallicas gig last year somehow

I was guilty of it too. I remember buying a God Hates Us All tshirt before i had a slayer album! It was years ago though

Can't be that long ago, God Hates Us All only came out two years ago

Edit: Sorry, it came out three years ago, I looked at a reissue on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I'd say that the demise of nu metal could have been predicted years back, What happens is one band gets signed, other record companies jump on the band wagon and sign any band that that sounds alike, eventually the scene gets too big for its own good, the record companies arent making money, so they dump the bands, and the whole cycle starts again, they go for what's new.
    I'd mostly listen to Black metal, i've been listening to metal for years and yet i'd only have about thirty something albums, and Because of my sligoness my album purchases are very low, i'm mentioning this as it is people who are too proud (and have taste too!) won't dilute their collections with ****, and thats why cult bands go on and imitations die!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Key Syxpak, what they are complaining about are the mini-metallers who find and buy t-shirts of bands that they haven't got a clue about. One time i was talking to a friend of mine and his brother (14, maybe 15) was wearing an Iron Maiden tshirt and i tried to start a conversation with him about them, and he hadn't a clue about them. He said "yeah, bruce harris [sic] is a great singer".

You should agree that if you are gonna buy an Iron Maiden, CoB, or whatever tshirt, it should be because you like the band and consider yourself a fan, and not wearing it as a fashion statement.

Maybe he was wearing it because he thought the (inevitable ;)) Zombie Skull-head of Eddie on the front looked cool.
    It takes alot of disposable income to be able to listen to all the music you might like, something which is not always available to 14 or 15 year-olds.

I get your point, but if after that, did you give him a copy/compilation of some good music? In 3 or 4 years he could be joining you on a trip to FuryFest or something.

Cultivate the young, guide them. And then they will be around to scrounge off when you've spent all your cash on pints and other substances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement