Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Dublin

• 08-09-2004 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I have resigned to the fact that there is sweet FA to do in Dublin at night.

DVD rental. Pool. Pub. Cinema.

Anybody find out some evening activities that I just havent thought of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Leave? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

strangely enough you mentioned all the things I like to do.

I however also like the theatre now and again and play football in the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

There is a growing fetish scene out in the mortgage belts, where people can't afford xtra-vision.

If you have the necessary commodity, I can point you in the direction of a wife-swapping collective (hint: if you bring a lumpy friend who is desperate to score, no one will know it's not your wife, and you can't pull your own car keys out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Eating out - Iskanders do fab kebabs. Gigs - many ripoffs here, but many worth going to. Boards... on a quiet night (looks like years before you'll be able do this over broadband from back of the beyonds).

[EDIT] Hmm looks like I spent too long composing this... [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hotchips

There are actually loads of things to do, I just think we irish are too lazy to do it... Im currently 1000000 miles away from Dublin, and I often think there is nothing to do, except go to the pub/play pool/watch movies, but there actually is tons of stuff to do, im just too lazy to use my brain and think of something and then actually go and do it, so I just go to the pub and play pool or watch some movies... ooo-errr...

Now on saying all that I cant recommend much, except maybe Evening Courses http://www.nightcourses.ie/ , Bowling, going to listen to bands but not drinking, sport/exercise, fine dining, ermmm.....

Good luck to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What can you do in other cities that Dublin's missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I can point you in the direction of a wife-swapping collective

The idea even scares me.. eeeww..
    Leave?

Funny you should say that. Far East for 3 years working is my plan. :p

As for day-to day living in any city, I'm sure its the same. Holidays are fun because its not home.
    I live near the mountains, so we sometimes drive up there. Barbeques, house gatherings, camping the odd weekend, day long hikes with beer.

But what I'm kinda thinking of is the "what will we do tonight" answers with mates. Innovative things. Anything social really. With or without beer.

The monotony of Film Pub or Pool is getting to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Blisterman wrote:
    What can you do in other cities that Dublin's missing?
    You can drink cheaply in bars and clubs all night without Michael McDowell looking over your shoulder, and you can fail to get randomly assaulted by scum on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gym... Swimming Pool... Joints... Theatre... Playstation...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

join in on a protest, there's always at least one on somewhere around dublin, theyre usually good craic.
    if you dont find one, you could always start yer own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Monday nights in andrews lane theatre is usually good , it's student night and upstairs in the 'studio' they show modern plays for 10 euro's , catch an earlybird meal in any restaurant of your choice and your still on a winner money wise .

It's becoming more of a regular event these days, also there are a few late night cafe's which are a good place to go with mates, get one of the outdoor seats for a few tokes and your laughin

lastly , if your into the cinema then UGC on parnell st have movies on a sunday for 4 euro before 12 , always good for a hangover , and when you get out of the cinema you still have a whole day ahead and your already in town.

and don;t forget the national stadium for a good lads night out , plenty of young amateur fighters coming through the ranks and it;s only 4-5 euro in. hope thats a few ideas for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Redleslie2 wrote:
    and you can fail to get randomly assaulted by scum on the way home.

I would usually find it the other way around. Many places I've been to in the UK i felt nervous walking around the bars/pubs. They have a lot bigger problem over there then we do here. It can also depend on the aera your walking around though aswell.

If your into football why not go see a Eircom league match. You shall usually find that there is a ground close by that you never knew of. Students are only like €5 or so, €10 for adults. Top quality football.

Early morning UGC is always a good thing, so it is. Or you can just sit in the sun in Stephens Green or something, thats always nice and relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Super Glue

keep your eyes open and try everything once -

think is there any thing you ever wanted to do and try it you may hate it you may like

for me learning how to swim has kept me busy a few nights a week for the last while and going to book some rock climbing lessons for next month see what that is like

if exercise aint your thing read a book go to a show organise your own event that will keep you busy used to do that kinda thing in college and you will be kept busy and you might make a few bob as well

the only problem with the above is you need some "get up and go in ya" if you are lacking in the above then ya better disregard the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Lazyness. Dear god the lazyness.
    Im in the same both as u fluffer with the Pub Pool dvd options. But whenever im sorta bored at home the folks just look at me like i've 2 heads and ask why im bored. My reply is usally "Nothing to do, everything costs money" And then to my shock they just open a newspaper and show me loads of free stuff to do. For examlpe that big boat that came over recently. Silly but would occupy u for a bit and u'd see a big boat (ahem) was a small battleship or something.

Anyway, buy the paper and look. Hundreds of crap to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Comedy in the International is on most nights. Saw Tommy Tiernan there a while ago when he wasnt even on the bill. Its cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Take scuba-diving lessons, you should be able to find a nearby sports centre that offers classes in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Create a new club where young men come to relieve their frustrations by beating each other to a pulp, and use the rest of your spare time to make dynamite from soap ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

fragile wrote:
    Create a new club where young men come to relieve their frustrations by beating each other to a pulp, and use the rest of your spare time to make dynamite from soap ;)
    that would make a good movie based on a book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Winters wrote:
    I would usually find it the other way around. Many places I've been to in the UK i felt nervous walking around the bars/pubs. They have a lot bigger problem over there then we do here. It can also depend on the aera your walking around though aswell.
    I agree about the UK (or London anyway, only place I've been to), they've got even sillier licensing laws than we do and I've felt the weird malevolent kind of atmosphere whenever I've been out over there. I was thinking about cities on the continent really. In Paris people have picnics on the Seine's quays, drinking, eating and yapping away until whatever time of the morning they feel like going home. I never experienced or even saw anything that looked remotely like trouble. I've half a dozen friends living there for years and the only trouble they've encountered was down to a gang of FN scum who decided to wreck a bar, but that seems to be rare enough. A couple of thousand people go rollerblading around the streets on Friday nights there too. It looks fun but would never happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

You could always pay homeless people to fight or just go down to the board walk on the quays wake a few of them up in the morning and watch your plan unfold.

Seriously though theatre is a great alternative to going to the cinema all the time.

any comdey gig. International bar is great or if you just want to laugh at ratherthan with the comedians the halpenny bridge in on a tuesday night has open mike (should be called open sh*t).

Its just finished up its run but was great ever thursday, friday, saturday and sunday night there were free gigs, outdoor movies and plays in the temple bar meeting square thingy (beside charlies).

Phoenix park is great in the summer/autum evenings and weekends theres loads of stuff going on there. always guys with model planes (great to watch them buzz the deer repeatedly, even better to see the deer getting revenege, hahaha).

Some good fly fishing up the Liffey just before you get to Chapelizod, although i have yet to catch anything wait maybe its not that good.

Super glue, where can you get rock climbing lessons? I've always wanted to get into it.

• Advertisement

There really are some good ideas coming through here. For example a fight would be a good idea some night. I hear the dogs is a laugh too.
    try everything once

I actually live my life by that mantra. There are a few exceptions to the rule though; like murder, paedophilia, and gay sex. Apart from that its pretty cool. :)

I went through a phase last year where I did everything on my short term list. Aerobatics, diving, snowmobiling, fast cars, speedboat, jetskis, parachuting and so on. It was a good run. Im a bit of an adrenaline junkie, but work has impeded me somewhat. I dont work 9-5, I work shifts and random days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

I just had a stormer of an idea. You could get various animals and pitch them together in battle. OH YEAH!!!

My personal favourite "Badger Versus a Mongoose"!!

Nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Super Glue

"Super glue, where can you get rock climbing lessons"

joined westwood gym in sandymount sounds exspensive when you join at 870 euro with a 50 euro joining fee it works out at 17.50 a week for access - its there that I am going to get rock climbing lessons and that is free if you are a memeber else you can become a member and use the climbing wall only. better contact them for that price. But iam down there quite a bit using the pool and gym, and as soon as i can book myself on an induction you should see me scalling THE WALL

so for 17.50 a week you get alot cause there are loads of classes every night as well that place is well worth it and all it costs is
    1 x pint
    2 x southern Comfort
    1 x Coke

BARGIN

Later All

That westwood place is the most impressive gym i have ever seen. The pressurised tennis courts rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Well, anytime I'm in Dublin, I like to be stabbed, robbed, and mugged. It's fun for all the family

It actually is quite entertaining when its you.

Advertisement