Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proxy voting for the E.G.M.?

Options
  • 08-09-2004 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I'm away on Saturday, and hence can't get to the E.G.M. The survey made a reference to proxy voting, but I can't seem to find any info on this. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Ciarán.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There's been some confusion about this, both internally and externally. It was never my intention to give the impression we were definitely going to have proxy voting at the EGM, I simply considered the questions in the survey and other mentions here and elsewhere as research.

I highlight "my" above because I made the classic mistake of thinking this, but not saying it out loud, and some people viewed this as implicit agreement that we were going ahead with it. When we realised this, there was some discussion on how to go ahead, and it was decided that it would be impossible to organise a mechanism this close to the EGM.

We also considered giving proxies to known IrelandOffline members, but thought this would be unfair to the other couple thousand members. So we're just going to hope that people will make an extra effort to get to the EGM to place their votes, and can only sympathise with those than can't make it.

I think we're agreed that if it can be organised in a secure but managable fashion, IrelandOffline will try to put something in place for proxy voting next year.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Ciarán, as Adam stated, no proxy voting this time.

However if you want to give your opinion on various things and what you think IrelandOffline should be concentrating on let us know here and it will be communicated at the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I was one of the some people stated above by Adam, so (I seem to be doing this a lot today) apologies for the confusion.

Unfortunately, in the short time left, proxy voting has to be abandoned for this EGM.

It is an issue I feel is a serious requirement, and I will be pushing the idea forward under the "formalisation of IOFFL" motion at the EGM and afterwards.

However if you have serious and reasoned arguments for or against motions at the upcoming EGM please post them here or mail chairman at irelandoffline dot org or PM me. They will be given due consideration.

I don't think anyone has a problem with proxies in principal, more the mechanics and specificaly ensuring no members turn up with block votes that may or may not be legitimate. Until such time as we have sorted out the requirements proxy voting is on hold.

I appreciate the suggestions from members on how to run proxies, and will deal with these after the EGM when hopefully the motion is approved

John

p.s. In fairness to Adam this is not of his doing, he wasn't alone in the confusion. The committe discussed the matter and reached a decision on it and so it stands.

Advertisement