Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip alternative number

Options
  • 08-09-2004 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

UTV IP users, do any of you have an alternative number that you can use, instead of the usual 189322*****

We have a place in Monaghan but we're constanly getting 'line is busy'. Utv support told us to install the dial up software from the utv website to get an alternative number that we can use, but the software doesnt have any alternative number, just the 1893 number ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

back in the dark and distant past(Jan), UTVip's dialer would ring the 1893 number first, and then on a busy signal, then it without notification would dial another number. Guess it's still the same now.

I got the number out of my modems last dialed history, but I can remember it, google for it until somebody posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ando wrote:
    UTV IP users, do any of you have an alternative number that you can use, instead of the usual 189322*****

We have a place in Monaghan but we're constanly getting 'line is busy'. Utv support told us to install the dial up software from the utv website to get an alternative number that we can use, but the software doesnt have any alternative number, just the 1893 number ??
    The software will try the 1893 number once, then if it's busy, dial the alternative.

There's no point in using the alternate number - it has a two-hour cutoff, and if UTV decide that you're abusing it, they are well within their rights to charge you for calls to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

When I was using UTVip XL, before I got Clicksilver broadband :) of course. I found the UTV Dialler which you can download from U.TV, very useful when I would get that 'Very frustrating' engaged tone, which used to drive me nut's.

I would just click on the UTV Autodialler Icon on my desktop, and hey presto - I would be online in no time. So, IMO downloading the UTV autodialler is a must when using dial-up. Although I do not remember it ever disclosing the actual alternative number/numbers that it would dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

UTV dialer does not work for me. In the last few weeks their service has turned to ****. Over the last week half the urls I am trying are unable to resolve the DNS, so it looks like they are having issues there. Much more of this and I will be changing suppliers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sonarflick

Not sure if this is relevant. But, if you are using UTV free free free or Euphony... the number you can call to get FREE internet dial up can be found at http://www.elivefree.net/ Yes, it's a 01 number to dial to be connected. So yes, you do get free internet access considering the fact that making 01 calls is free. :) Just remember to hang up after 59 minutes and redial again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Sonarflick,

Yes you get free internet dial-up access, but call's are charged at local rates !, What's new or free about that ?... suggest you re-read the e-live website :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gavf

Sonarflick wrote:
    Not sure if this is relevant. But, if you are using UTV free free free or Euphony... the number you can call to get FREE internet dial up can be found at http://www.elivefree.net/ Yes, it's a 01 number to dial to be connected. So yes, you do get free internet access considering the fact that making 01 calls is free. :) Just remember to hang up after 59 minutes and redial again. :)
    Sonarflick,

Where are you getting the 01 number from??? The free local calls available with Euphony do not apply to 'Non geographic' numbers. The number posted on that site is an 1890 which falls into that bracket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sonarflick

I don't really know if it's really free myself because I'm on broadband already. Neverhtless, based on this site that I found, it's free. I tried connecting to the numbers and it actually works.

The website is: http://www.euphonyireland.com/internet.html

Again, like I said, I'm not sure if it's really free. The website says it is. I was told that some 01 numbers are non-geographic and thus it's not free... but don't really know.

I hope this piece of information helps. Just only sharing what I know. :)

Advertisement