Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teacher smacking a child!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sleepy wrote:
    It's attitudes like yours which has the country in such a state with so many kids running riot and behaving like spoilt brats because they have been spoiled: by parents who want to be their best mate instead of being their parents.

What a load of shít. The reason some kids run riot etc etc is because their parents don't give a damn. Parents don't know where there kids are or what they are doing (or more to the point don't care).

However parents who take the time and responsibility to teach their kids right and wrong by sitting down and explaining to the child. By having a relationship with the child of trust. By teaching the child to have respect for other people and other peoples possesions. Where the child knows he/she can talk to their parents and not get a slap across the face. Where the child is given unconditional love and effection. Thats how you raise a child sleepy. Not be explaining the child cannot have sweets in the shop with a slap on the face as opposed to explaining the reasons why.

da_deadman wrote:
    Having children, and raising them, is a privelege and a responsibility. As a parent your first duty is to your children and not to yourself (until the child reaches adulthood). There are a lot of parents I know of who do not take this responsibility seriously enough. This is what has children 'running riot and behaving like spoilt brats'. It is not because they have not been slapped but more because their parents are too lazy to work on their responsibility to their children.

Nail, hammer, head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

DAVEG - A few questions/points:

1. Does being a parent automatically qualify you to be one? This seems to be your attitude. Look around you ffs, how many parents out there aren't fit to be?

2. Where did I say it was okay for the creche teacher to slap lisa's child? I never did, though I did mention that I would be in favour of corporal punishment once parental consent had been given.

3. No, I'm not a parent. I do however have younger siblings. My sister is a nursery teacher, so yes I've quite a good idea of "childcare/creche care facilities and the trust one must put in the employees who look after your kids." as you put it. I've also read a heap of my sisters old college books (she did early childhood studies in UCC) so yeah, I think my opinions are reasonably well informed on the matter.

4. Where was slapping kids across the face ever discussed? When i say I think it's okay for a parent to slap their child (and would recommend it) I mean a slap across the backside when the child is misbehaving, not punching their lights out. You seem to confuse the two so allow me to clarify: one is an age-old parenting technique, the other child abuse.

And Dave, you should know better than to attack the poster. Attack my points if you disagree with me. You may change my mind that way. Calling me ignorant or an idiot isn't exactly a great way to do that is it?

Sleepy wrote:
    1. Does being a parent automatically qualify you to be one? This seems to be your attitude. Look around you ffs, how many parents out there aren't fit to be?

Where did you take this to be my attitude? I totally agree a lot of parents don't deserve kids. I think we actually agree on this point. As someone once said you need a licence to own a dog but any bastard can have a child.
    Sleepy wrote:
    2. Where did I say it was okay for the creche teacher to slap lisa's child? I never did, though I did mention that I would be in favour of corporal punishment once parental consent had been given.

You wrote:

"This is one law I've never understood. Sure, there was plenty of abuse of corporal punishment but at the same time, as a principle it worked didn't it? Kid acts up, kid gets slapped, kid doesn't do it again. Absolutely no harm in a slap across the arse when a child misbehaves. My parents did it to me and I'll do it to my kids if I ever have any."

I don't recall you mentioning anywhere that your comments were on the condition that "parents consent was given".
    Sleepy wrote:
    3. No, I'm not a parent. I do however have younger siblings. My sister is a nursery teacher, so yes I've quite a good idea of "childcare/creche care facilities and the trust one must put in the employees who look after your kids." as you put it. I've also read a heap of my sisters old college books (she did early childhood studies in UCC) so yeah, I think my opinions are reasonably well informed on the matter.

Well I do apologise. It appears you have adequete experience in the matter to dish out advice to a worried mother, what with you having younger siblings and a sister who works in childcare. The fact still remains you do not have kids and as such, imo, your opinions are not well informed. If you have a good idea of the trust given from parents to childcare workers then how come you say it's ok for the worker to slap a child. This is totally against childcare rules and philosophy.
    Sleepy wrote:
    4. Where was slapping kids across the face ever discussed? When i say I think it's okay for a parent to slap their child (and would recommend it) I mean a slap across the backside when the child is misbehaving, not punching their lights out. You seem to confuse the two so allow me to clarify: one is an age-old parenting technique, the other child abuse.

Where did you state the slap would be on the face or the behind? You were the one giving the opinion it is ok to slap a child.
    Sleepy wrote:
    And Dave, you should know better than to attack the poster. Attack my points if you disagree with me. You may change my mind that way. Calling me ignorant or an idiot isn't exactly a great way to do that is it?

My intention was not to attack you. In fact I apologise if this is the way my post read. However I do think it is ignorant for someone who does not have kids to tell an upset, probably at wits end, experienced parent that it is ok for a child carer to slap her child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

daveg wrote:
    Where did you take this to be my attitude? I totally agree a lot of parents don't deserve kids. I think we actually agree on this point. As someone once said you need a licence to own a dog but any bastard can have a child.
    You maintained that as I don't have children it invalidates my opinion. To me this read as saying that only those who have children can have an opinion on this matter.
    daveg wrote:
    You wrote:
    I don't recall you mentioning anywhere that your comments were on the condition that "parents consent was given"
    I'll quote myself so:
    Sleepy wrote:
    Once there was parental consent for corporal punishment in schools I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    daveg wrote:
    Well I do apologise. It appears you have adequete experience in the matter to dish out advice to a worried mother, what with you having younger siblings and a sister who works in childcare. The fact still remains you do not have kids and as such, imo, your opinions are not well informed. If you have a good idea of the trust given from parents to childcare workers then how come you say it's ok for the worker to slap a child. This is totally against childcare rules and philosophy.

I never said it was okay for the worker to slap the child. I stated that it was a law I didn't agree with and then in a later post backed up Bandraoi's point that there's no point in going in to attack the carer until the facts had been established. Lisa took this to mean that I was insinuating her child was a liar.
    Sleepy wrote:
    In the circumstances you describe, however, I'd be a bit pissed off alright. No point in storming in taking the head off the teacher though. As bandraoi says, there could be a perfectly rational explanation for it.
    daveg wrote:
    Where did you state the slap would be on the face or the behind? You were the one giving the opinion it is ok to slap a child.
    here:
    Sleepy wrote:
    Absolutely no harm in a slap across the arse when a child misbehaves
    daveg wrote:
    My intention was not to attack you. In fact I apologise if this is the way my post read. However I do think it is ignorant for someone who does not have kids to tell an upset, probably at wits end, experienced parent that it is ok for a child carer to slap her child.
    Apologoy accepted. As I already stated, I never said it was okay for the carer to slap Lisa's son. I probably dragged this off-topic somewhat and I apologise for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

have read all replies and thanks, all points taken on board, and after discussing with my other half we have decided to let it go and see if my son says it again.
    while i know my son was not fibbing about it im not going to make an issue out of it and put him in a position where he might be excluded by the teacher in question wether it be in games or learing.
    if it does happen again i will confront them and take it from there.
    thanks again everyone every opinion has been taken on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

lisa.c wrote:
    have read all replies and thanks, all points taken on board, and after discussing with my other half we have decided to let it go and see if my son says it again.
    while i know my son was not fibbing about it im not going to make an issue out of it and put him in a position where he might be excluded by the teacher in question wether it be in games or learing.
    if it does happen again i will confront them and take it from there.
    thanks again everyone every opinion has been taken on board.
    Lisa I voted yes in your poll and gave my 5 cent worth. I should have further qualified this with ages 7 and above.

I feel therefore I have to add this...

If you and the father have never given your son the odd smack, then maybe you should consider going to the teacher - as already suggested - in a non-confrontational manner.

In the mind of a 3 year-old this could be perceived as the worst thing that ever happened, so he may not mention it again.

This may cause embarassment if it turns out he was fibbing - but in your son's interest - embarassment worth risking.

You don't want him to hate school and have no idea why he hates it in later years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

haha, just noticed all the bad karma I'm after getting from my post "little ****ebag proberly deserved it"
    well, fair play to the person who gave me the positive karma "someone had to say it"
    you know who you're ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

haha, so much effort put into that post merc
    all for merc
    thanks! ;)

AHh but its always been a good day for me,
    come here are you thinking about going to that rave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Get the **** sacked

come here merc, if your going gimi a shout i wouldn't mind a lift :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement